Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Companies breaking the law

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was reading one of your articles when I came accross this: People of school age cannot work:
Before 7am or after 7pm, or during school hours.

When I was 15c and still at school I worked in Mark and Spencer. I worked until 9pm on a Thursday night. Surely then this was illegal and a firm as large as M&S should know better?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When i was 15 i worked from 6am - 4pm 6 days a week. I wan't aware that there was anything wrong with that.
    Yes it is illegal. Does anyone care? Not really.
    You don't care: you're getting paid.
    Marks & Spencer don't care: they're getting cheap labour.
    The police don't care: they've got better things to do.
    If your parents threatened to sue you, they'd probably just kick you out and blame it on an administrative error or something. No one cares, and there's not a lot anyone could do if they did.
    Originally posted by Me_and

You don't care: you're getting paid.
    Actually, I do care, so please don't presume to tell me what I feel. Thank you.

I do care because I no longer work there, I am now 19 and haven't worked there for three years. :rolleyes: So no, I am not getting paid.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Actually, I do care, so please don't presume to tell me what I feel. Thank you.
    When working (at least until shortly before you left) you didn't care. Otherwise you wouldn't have been working for them. And even now, you don't care enough to sue them over it (I assume), so they're not bothered.
    Appologies for any unjust assumptions.
    Originally posted by Me_and
    When working (at least until shortly before you left) you didn't care. Otherwise you wouldn't have been working for them.
    Duh. I didn't know. :rolleyes: