Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Spam mail

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Weeeiiii

Today for the first time ever (here in DK) a company was fined for sending Spam mails

:)

Sure hope this will be the first step against spam mail! thou the fine was only 15.000 dk KR. (for 156 mails)

Comments

• Options
    Good! Stoopid spamers.

Next time you get some spam mail send them a mail back and put.

Dear Sir/Madam.

I you wish to keep sending me internet "Spam"/"Junk Mail" regurding your products that I did not ask for VIA e-mail then I will be charging you a fee of 10 UK pounds sterling for each email I recive from you or your partners. Please sign the following form if you wish keep me updated about your products.

I hear by agree _____ To send _____ a fee of 10 British pounds sterling for each e-mail I and my partners send you regurding my/our products. If I or my partners do not agree to send _____ payment for each email I/we send we must not send any more to your internet email address.

Signed _______ Dated ________
    Hopefully they won't send you anymore.
  • Options
    that was :confused: i read in a magazine that there is going to be stricter regulations on spam, lemme go find *runs off to get* it says that people will be able to sue senders (not sure how you would do this, just say they made your account full and missed loads of important mail) and that they would face up to £5,000 fines.

oh and it says, spam accounts for almost 40% of all emails.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hyukie
    that was :confused: i read in a magazine that there is going to be stricter regulations on spam, lemme go find *runs off to get* it says that people will be able to sue senders (not sure how you would do this, just say they made your account full and missed loads of important mail) and that they would face up to £5,000 fines.

oh and it says, spam accounts for almost 40% of all emails.

40%? Hmm... It's more like 99 here :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy
    40%? Hmm... It's more like 99 here :/

i get like no spam as such, but some mail that although i didnt mind having it at the time, they just keep sending more. Like, I subscribed to FHMs newsletter or something, then unsubscribed, and they still send me special offers and such.
  • Options
    yeah, i get like 12 spam mail per one proper email -_-; doesnt bother me as much as it should. just annoying when i get a little popup on msn saying "FREE golf offers" or "Penis Enlargement" (specially when members of the family walk past).
  • Options
    I've not got any spam for ages, its weird, I used to get loads. I'm not complaning though :p

Spam really accounts for like 95% of the email I get, hardly any of it is worth reading.
  • Options
    Re: Spam mail
    Originally posted by TellMeWhoAreYou
    Weeeiiii

Today for the first time ever (here in DK) a company was fined for sending Spam mails

:)

Sure hope this will be the first step against spam mail! thou the fine was only 15.000 dk KR. (for 156 mails)
    Yay! It's a start! Let's hope this is the start of the end of spam emails! Suddenly over the past couple of months I've been recieving shed loads of spam email. It's pissing me off no end as it's clogging up my inbox. :mad: Let's hope the bastards get stopped asap!

Did anybody hear about that spammer in the US. He's a right arogant bastard when it comes to what he does, so people started signing him up to real junk mail so that he now recieves sackfulls of junk mail, making it hard for him to find and read his proper personal and business email. :lol: Though being the pig headed, arogant, bastard he is, he fails to see the irony in it, and is furious. :rolleyes:
    If more people did that to the spammers, and their clients, I reckon it would soon start to curb it.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Next time you get some spam mail send them a mail back and put.
    Dear Sir/Madam...
    Hopefully they won't send you anymore.
    Won't work. Most spammers will send from fake addresses, and even then, they know that there is no way you could enforce such an agreement.
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Did anybody hear about that spammer in the US. He's a right arogant bastard when it comes to what he does, so people started signing him up to real junk mail so that he now recieves sackfulls of junk mail, making it hard for him to find and read his proper personal and business email. :lol:
    When usenet was first spammed (not sure what the company was) it recieved millions of complaint letters which ended up in it having to close down because it couldn't support the server capacity.

Best trick against spam: don't use guessable email addresses, particularly with things like hotmail and yahoo (even relativly uncommon names on email addresses can be found out like this). Spammers now just go through lists of possible names more than anything else. The vast majority of Web sites won't abuse your email address, but just to be sure use something like Sneakemail that ensures that you can isolate sites that are spamming you.