Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Apprenticeships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 19 and I have applied to do an Electrical apprenticeship (Yes, I'm finally getting my life sorted out!). I'd get £215 a week *(which isn't bad!) and day release at college.

My dad is an electrician and at the end of my appenticeship I am hoping to go self employed or set up my own business.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about apprenticeships, as I would like to know if you have to sign a contract under them and if you have to work for the company for a certain time after the apprenticeship has finished? :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Apprenticeships
    Originally posted by Mr Maypoo
    I was wondering if anyone knew anything about apprenticeships, as I would like to know if you have to sign a contract under them and if you have to work for the company for a certain time after the apprenticeship has finished? :)

Depends on the company, have you asked?
    You should find your answers here:

Modern Apprenticeships
    Their site says it all: "Getting paid while you learn might sound too good to be true - but as a Modern Apprentice that's exactly what you'll do. Combine the hands-on experience of working with the qualifications you'll gain by studying for the best of both worlds."
    Helpline: 08000 150 600.
    click here
    Re: Re: Apprenticeships
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Depends on the company, have you asked?

I'm not going to ask them, because they probably won't employ me if they know I am going to leave. ;)

Cheers Susz! ;)
    Re: Re: Re: Apprenticeships
    Originally posted by Mr Maypoo
    I'm not going to ask them, because they probably won't employ me if they know I am going to leave. ;)

Depends on how you word your question.

Why not ask if the appreticeship would lead to a permanenet position with the company...
    Wow i cant believe you ask that? doesn't your school guide you through it?

Here in DK we have alot of rules that protects the company and the apprentice...

you know about payment, resignation, length of the contract and stuff...
    Originally posted by TellMeWhoAreYou
    Wow i cant believe you ask that? doesn't your school guide you through it?

Here in DK we have alot of rules that protects the company and the apprentice...

you know about payment, resignation, length of the contract and stuff...

They probably would...if I was still at school! :rolleyes: