Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Missed your chance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you ever worry that maybe you've missed your chance at being really happy/inlove/whatever? Maybe you've turned someone down? Or finished with someone? And then think that might have been your chance to be really happy and you might not meet another bloke (or girl) as nice as them.....

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    If you're talking about meeting someone the first time and dismissing them, then maybe - but to be honest that happens all the time and it's unneccessary to look at it as a lost opportunity because you can't exactly go and have a relationship with everyone you meet just to work out whether or not they're the one for you!

If you're talking about being in a relationship with someone and then finding it's over and wondering whether in fact that was your one and only chance at true happiness or true love... I don't think so. There are plenty of people out there who I think I could be happy with, true I haven't met them yet but I'm not going to be pessimistic and think I never will!

I'm always hopeful and optimistic about these things :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    If you're talking about being in a relationship with someone and then finding it's over and wondering whether in fact that was your one and only chance at true happiness or true love...

Ok, so this was what was really on my mind. When I was in the relationship all I could see was the bad bits, now all i can see are the good bits. :rolleyes: Just realised how much I like him worried that maybe if it had all got sorted out it would of been ok, and now it's finished maybe I won't meet anyone that I'll like as much as him. Sorry, rambling.
  • Options
    I kinda guessed... :rolleyes:

But you do look at the past with rose-tinted glasses. It's good to remember all the best parts of relationships but just think back to how you were feeling when it was all coming to an end - you really weren't happy! Yes, occasionally people make mistakes, but it really isn't that long since your relationship ended; if you leave it a few months, then you will see whether it was the right thing to do or not - it's natural to miss someone and think of his good qualities, but in the end once you've recovered from the change in your life, you'll probably be able to forget him. Well, not forget him but you'll remember why you ended it.

Also, of course you'll meet someone else whom you like just as much as, if not more than him. :) It'll just maybe take time.

I don't know how helpful I'm being, I'm a little sleep-deprived so my brain isn't 100% and I'm probably rambling, but I'm just kind of putting all my thoughts down so I hope some of it makes sense :)
  • Options
    Re: Missed your chance?
    Originally posted by Faith
    Do you ever worry that maybe you've missed your chance at being really happy/inlove/whatever? Maybe you've turned someone down? Or finished with someone? And then think that might have been your chance to be really happy and you might not meet another bloke (or girl) as nice as them.....

:confused:

Definitely. All the fucking time. That Robbie Williams song - No Regrets, it makes me cry cause I think of all my regrets....

P.S do you everget those feelings when you remember something you did and for like 5 seconds you want to break something cause you were so stupid!
  • Options
    You know you will get over it. It just takes time. Once you meet someone new it'll all seem like a distant bad memory as you realise you're head over heels once more. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    You know you will get over it. It just takes time. Once you meet someone new it'll all seem like a distant bad memory as you realise you're head over heels once more.

Eloquently put. Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    No, I'm young. Its never too late to meet someone.

Life is to short too worry about these things now. And if you have hope and believe in fate and all that shit

your loved one will come back if its meant to happen blah blah :p
  • Options
    Ye but normally the next one alwys seems better-

there are one or two I nearly ended up with before, and im actually back working on one of them now as it stands!
  • Options
    I think that you have to understand that things happen for a reason and if it is meant to be then the universe works in such a way that that the opitunity will come around again. It may not be for a few weeks,months or even years but if it is ment to be it is ment to be. Budists belive that what ever happened in this life, we carry over to our next life, foe example if you don't get to see the person again in this life and it plays on your mind forever then in the next life Budda will give you the oppitunity to make it right. So hey don't fret my friend we all have eternity.
    I use to get embarresed about things I did or said and have regrets but now I just live life everyday as it comes and let things just happen.
  • Options
    Hi i know that this mite not help you but your post has helped me !! As i am currently in a relationship where i am not so sure it is working out anymore! I feel really down at the mo and my boyfriend is causing it !! he seems really stressed out and moody with me and everything he does is annoying me! But if i think about it ..not being with him i think that its not worth it coz i love him deep down and i would be lost without him!
    When we are getting on its amazing and i really feel happy!! If you have missed your chnace it just means that it wasnt meant to be with that particular guy !! there must of been some good reasons at the time why u would break up with him!!If you regret it then maybe you should try talking to the guy to see if you still do like him and if there may be another chance for you two to make another go of it!! xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    true I haven't met them yet

you have now ;):naughty:

yes it is a lame chat up line from a 15 yr old but there ya go

and faith - dont worry there are loads of oppurtunitys as humanswe work like machines. there is a certain amount of chemistry between everyone, whether its good / bad and how strong it is can very. when we develop relationships with someone this can increase or decrease, and often, when you meet someone you like a lot and have a relationship with them you begin to like them more and more and if it ends suddenly it can feel if you were that high, and now everyone else you like them so much less and the chemistry is so much less, that it can feel like you are never going to find anyone again. but try hard enough and almost anyone can be the one, but really you want to find someone who has a lot of potential for likelyness etc to increase. thats all it comes down to.

but dont ask me what the signs are but trust me i will pledge my toes on it - there will be another one, it may take you a long time to find them but there will be another one and im sure you will be incredibly happy with them. sure you wont forget the others but they will kinda go to a corner of your brain because you will have so much fun / love with this new person. it can be scary i know but... just hang in there, remember what a normal level of chemistry feels like... then you should be high flying :)

good luck babe not that you will need it ;)
  • Options
    Aww thanks everyone, wasn't expecting this many replies waiting for me! :blush:

What everyone's said has made sense, and I know deep down that there's plenty of reasons we split up. I guess I'm just a bit scared I'm gonna be single forever! I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but it's horrible, and I know you'll all say 22 is still young, but I don't wanna be much older and still single! :eek2: But oh well....I'll get used to being on my own soon enough, it's just wierd after 3 years!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    When I was in the relationship all I could see was the bad bits, now all i can see are the good bits.

My friend gave me some words to consider along the lines of:
    "At the moment you can see all the good bits, at other times you can only see the bad, but you'll know when your over them because you can see the whole thing together and laugh"

And ive never believed in the whole "one true love" thing. Every one has different qualities that are equally as like/loveable and the next ones just waiting around the corner to be discovered!
  • Options
    Its much better to be out of a relationship and wonder about having lost some great times than to be in a relationship and wonder if you are in the wrong one.
  • Options
    Yep, totally. Had a chance to go with one of two girls as they were both coming on2 me. Cos im so bad i went for the better looking one (but not by much) and my mate went with the one i turned down. To cut a long story short the better looking one i went with turned out to be a total bitch and we lasted a whole of 5secs. The one my mate went with turned out to be, adn these are his words, ' the best thing thats ever happened to me, the nicest lass i've ever met'.

Could of been me saying those words ladies and gents:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Its much better to be out of a relationship and wonder about having lost some great times than to be in a relationship and wonder if you are in the wrong one.

I have to agree with that. I was reading through all my e-mails from my ex before I deleted them yesterday and I started thinking "ohh but he made me laugh and we had some great conversations.", but then I thought about all the times I was thinking "Is this worth it? He can be a right condescending twat." and I realised it did have to end when it did. If you're doubting it, it's obvious something is very wrong. If two people are meant to be together they will be togther.
  • Options
    I don't worry at all - I don't care any more because no-one wants to be my girlfriend anyway so who gives a flying fuck?
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

Thanks that's made me feel better. Makes sense :)
  • Options
    Just want to add that my post was in no way angry - I've missed a lot of chances but I'm in no way bitter or angry about it, I just no longer care that much.