Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Why do they never get back?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do these big faceless corporations never even agknowledge that theyve got a job application from you?! Ive been looking for part time work since Decemeber when i left my job at Tescos because they were working me too much. The only place that did get back said they didnt want me because i seemed "too quiet" it was a cashier job at B&Q for fecks sake!
I just dont get it. Anyone help?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been to interviews and then never heard back from the companies. Seems quite rude doesn't it, you'd think they could atleast send you a letter.
    Such behaviour is very torpid, improper and thoughtless, irrespective of whether the candidate was suitable for the position or not. Every firm should be courteous toward its applicants, and be proud that they are interested enough in the business to apply to work with it. This is not achieved by them not responding to the people whom applied in writing or had interviews.

I will be returning to university in September. In the meantime, I have applied to a number of different firms with the hope of full-time employment. One such business was Tesco's, whom took over a month to reply with a letter stating 'we were impressed by your application but we do not yet have any vacant position.' Why it took so long to reply is beyond me. Perhaps it's due to their carelessness or a sheer weight of applications, although considering the comparatively small town from which I come I doubt that it is the latter.
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    they are interested enough in the business to apply to work with it.

Oh be-have. Most people apply for jobs because they want the cash, not becuase they want to work.
    One such business was Tesco's, whom took over a month to reply with a letter stating 'we were impressed by your application but we do not yet have any vacant position.' Why it took so long to reply is beyond me. Perhaps it's due to their carelessness or a sheer weight of applications, although considering the comparatively small town from which I come I doubt that it is the latter.

You condemn people for not replying, and then condemn someone who does. So how can they "win"?

To be honest though, I agree in the main. Companies should reply, just to let you know where you stand. That said, if you really want to work for a company, wouldn't you chase them anyway?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Most people apply for jobs because they want the cash, not becuase they want to work.

By choosing one firm over another, an individual has expressed an interest in the firm - be in because it pays more highly or anything else.
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    You condemn people for not replying, and then condemn someone who does. So how can they "win"?

By replying to the applicants much more quickly, which might:

1) reduce their misery and heartache if they are unsuccessful instead of prolonging it;

2) show courteousness; and

3) show that each application is important to them and that they care about each one, regardless of whether the applicant was successful or not.
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    By choosing one firm over another, an individual has expressed an interest in the firm - be in because it pays more highly or anything else.
    I disagree. People who are in need of money may apply to many firms, as you yourself have done. They apply where there are vancanies. I have had jobs in places I have no respect for. I worked for Marks and Spencer and I hate them!
    im about to fill in yet another application, hopefully these gits will stleast get back to me.
    Bc you've either given it to the wrong person, i.e a fogetful employee.

Or they don't want you. THey can't reply to each and every person.

It's just the way it is...
    It may well depend on the area you are from whether you will hear from them or not. If your county has very few jobs but loads of people then they are trying to get the best and thats hard to do as everyones different and all they have to go by is an application form. I would try a temping agency if this is the case. It may well be a better option.
    I have been on more interviews than most, and i agree with you all that the big Corps are rude with not getting back to you, it is not fair, actually interviews are not fair, there is now way that they can tell who and what you are from a 20 min chat!!

There is nothing stopping you from phoning their HR dept and finding out if they have processed your application or if they have found someone else for the job, it is your right to know, but at the same time it is there right not to tell you, but 95% of the time they will tell you something!!

So just pick up the phone and call them!

What have you got to loose???

:)
    hm i have an intiview tomorrow, its a start. wish me luck:)
    They never get back because it costs money.
    100 applicants = 100 letters of reply = over £30 down the drain just for the paper and stamps + wasted time writing the letters.
    Big corperations got to where they are (in the large part) by being careful with money.
    After applying to one faceless corporation, and recieving no reply for a month I phoned tham. They said they just can't afford to send replies to all the applicants.
    well none of them have got back, i guess i just suck:(
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    well none of them have got back, i guess i just suck:(

No, they do. I'm going through exactly the same thing.