Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Diet coke withdrawls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
From last night, I have decided to quit boozing, drinking fizzy drinks and stop eating processed food for a couple of months. Partly because I have a wedding in 7 weeks that I want to look great for and partly because I think I'm addicted to diet coke and need to stop drinking it.

But I feel like shit. My body has gone into total shutdown today and Iknow it's the diet coke that is causing it. I have the shakes, I can't concentrate and my head feels like it's about to explode. It's taken me about 10 minutes to type two paragraphs! I just want to reach for a can and down it in one.

Comments

• Options
    Have some tea - it's the caffeine you're missing
  • Options
    Or coffee, or redbull...

spiked silver is my currect No.1 pick-me-up (although the people I work with have told me I'm not allowed to drink it with them near)...

If all else fails try pro-plus.

BTW : How does cutting down on DIET pepsi help you loose wieght for the wedding?
  • Options
    Yeah i think im either addicted to caffeine or sugar cos i get like that too.

*sighs*
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak

BTW : How does cutting down on DIET pepsi help you loose wieght for the wedding?

It's not just the weight loss issue, I just want to look good and i drink so much of it that it dehydrates me (I know it sounds like bullshit, but it's true).

I drink in excess of 2 litres of the stuff daily and it just ain't good for your health! I feel minging inside and ned to treat my body a bit better.
  • Options
    And is it not a bit daft cutting out one caffine source (diet coke) and replacing it with another (tea/coffee/red bull)?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lovedup
    And is it not a bit daft cutting out one caffine source (diet coke) and replacing it with another (tea/coffee/red bull)?

1 cup of tea hardly amounts to 2 litres of diet coke!
  • Options
    Diet drinks are full of substitute sugar shite to compensate, which is actually worse for you than real sugar.

There was this guy I used to go to school with, and his hands shook every morning, and wouldn't stop 'til he had a can of Diet Coke. No other drink, or anything for that matter, worked.

Was a weeee bit strange...
  • Options
    aspartame (which is in diet coke) is incredibly bad for you.
    if you go to google and type in aspartame, then you might see why youre having withdrawal symptoms.
    heres few of the sites here
    http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/
    http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html
    http://www.nexusmagazine.com/Aspartame.html
    http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/
    http://www.321recipes.com/aspartame.html

since i found out that its not actually a harmless additive, ive really tried to watch whats in a lot of stuff i eat. its very hard to cut it out entirely, but I think its certainly worth trying to cut down. Its in a hell of a lot of sweetened drinks as it is cheaper than sugar and sweeter so they need less of it. its in things like muller light yoghurt as well. Id rather have sugar and just eat less of it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    ive really tried to watch whats in a lot of stuff i eat. its very hard to cut it out entirely, but I think its certainly worth trying to cut down.
    Since the day I found out what aspartame is, I have tried as hard as possible to cut it out of my diet, but in this day in age it is sooo difficult, they put aspartame in anything with sweetners, in that way coke would be better than diet, but please, don't go back to drinking the diet coke. When I cut it out, it was horrible, but within a week I was fine, I hardly ever drink coke at all now, but PLEASE DON'T go to the diet coke, rainbow is right, the aspartame is in no way good for u
  • Options
    since i found out that its not actually a harmless additive, ive really tried to watch whats in a lot of stuff i eat. its very hard to cut it out entirely, but I think its certainly worth trying to cut down. Its in a hell of a lot of sweetened drinks as it is cheaper than sugar and sweeter so they need less of it. its in things like muller light yoghurt as well. Id rather have sugar and just eat less of it.

You mentioned this a couple of posts ago, and you're completely right - i suffer from M.E (C.F.S, etc etc), and the only way i can keep it under control is by cutting aspartame out of my diet completely. When we first read about the possible effects of it on people with M.E, we decided to cut it out of my diet, and see if it made any difference. Within a week, i'd made a huge recovery, to the extent that i could walk to the end of my road (and attend parents evening at school) after having been confined to my bed for over 4 months.

Seriously. It rots your brain, causes trillions of different symptoms and exacerbates many many different already existing conditions. Isn't your health worth brushing your teeth for a bit longer and exercising a little more for, rather than drinking this sweetener filled shite?
  • Options
    Drink cups of tea which have tanin (sp?) which is a kind of caffeine, and don't contain all the sugar, additives, aspartame etc which fizzy drinks especially diet coke do contain.

Also drink lots of water :) If you're more hydrated, you will feel healthier and have more energy.

Don't worry, as Klever said it won't take long before you feel fine again and much, much healthier!
  • Options
    I never knew it had all that destructive stuff in it... :eek2:
  • Options
    You'll feel much better for it, just keep it up! Drink lots of water and fruit juice instead, and keep telling yourself that you don't need it and that you'll feel better in a few days!

I've decided to cut out fizzy drinks or ones with caffeine in, as I've been getting really tired and breathless recently, and I know I've been very sensitive to caffeine in the past.

You can do it!

LSS
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    I never knew it had all that destructive stuff in it... :eek2:

Yeah.

Mutagenic also, isn't it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Yeah.

Mutagenic also, isn't it?

Got knows. Chocolate must be bad....Remember when I mutated into an easter egg? :p
  • Options
    can i say that in reference to the vanilla coke thread here last week, i had some! i bought three bottles of it in the airport on my way home on sunday. and just finished the last bottle now .:( although, my brother says that tere is a strange mystical shop in firhouse which sells them. :hyper:

i am going to die a slow horrible death beacuse of the amount of crap i put into my body. :yuck:
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    Got knows. Chocolate must be bad....Remember when I mutated into an easter egg? :p

yeh, scary :eek2:. are you ok now though?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    You mentioned this a couple of posts ago, and you're completely right - i suffer from M.E (C.F.S, etc etc), and the only way i can keep it under control is by cutting aspartame out of my diet completely. When we first read about the possible effects of it on people with M.E, we decided to cut it out of my diet, and see if it made any difference. Within a week, i'd made a huge recovery, to the extent that i could walk to the end of my road (and attend parents evening at school) after having been confined to my bed for over 4 months.

Thats amazing, but its not the only story ive heard like that. Ive also heard that sometimes ME is misdiagnosed as the symptoms are the same as aspartame poisoning. I think its really dodgy and underhand the way it was even legislated in the first place, and I hate the fact that sugar free foods and drinks are somehow labled as being the healthy choice, when in actual fact they are just full of artificial chemicals that do God knows what to your body. our bodies arent designed to ingest toxins like that, and I hate to think of what damage we are storing up for the future. It especially worries me for little children whove been brought up on this shit. No wonder we get more cases of ADHD and things like that now. It was even in the daily mirror yesterday about 2 identical twin boys who were given different diets. One was given normal stuff with additives,microwave meals, flavoured crisps, Irn bru, sweets etc, and the other was given healthy food cooked, from scratch, and snacked on things like dried fruit, drank water or fruit juice, and ready salted crisps, and apparently his behaviour calmed right down and he was like a different child within a week, whereas the other childs behaviour stayed the same, and he had tantrums and was harder to control.
    Makes you think doesnt it.
  • Options
    its in things like muller light yoghurt as well. Id rather have sugar and just eat less of it.

Oh no, Mullerlites are my favourite, I must eat about 10 a week! Feck....:crazyeyes :eek:
  • Options
    maybe just have normal low fat yoghurts instead, you can get fat free yoghurts that dont have artificial sweetners in them, ive had them before.
  • Options
    I also need to admit to drinking a can of the evil stuff today. But one can is better than 12 litres methinks...???

Plus i hadn't read the replies on here yet...u guys have really given me the heebie jeebies.
  • Options
    oh crap!!

aspartame is an ingredient in hermestas artificial sweeteners isnt it?

i eat fuck loads of that stuff! in my cerial with my milk, get through a couple of jars a week!:eek:

just read that article and it says it may cause memory loss... hmm not great for someone about to do their a levels:( i think its all gona have to go in my bin!
  • Options
    Most colas, including diet, have about a third of the caffine of the equivelent amount of Coffee.
    So you would need to drink as about three times the amount of coke to get the same amount of caffine as coffee.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Thats amazing, but its not the only story ive heard like that. Ive also heard that sometimes ME is misdiagnosed as the symptoms are the same as aspartame poisoning. I think its really dodgy and underhand the way it was even legislated in the first place, and I hate the fact that sugar free foods and drinks are somehow labled as being the healthy choice, when in actual fact they are just full of artificial chemicals that do God knows what to your body. our bodies arent designed to ingest toxins like that, and I hate to think of what damage we are storing up for the future.

God, i know, since i got ill, i took a good look at what i'm eating, and i have tried to cut back on the crap - not things like fat, sugar etc, because it's natural, but more like e numbers and sweeteners. Unfortunately, cos it's the cheaper option and people are so obsessed with their weight, it's almost impossible to buy completely natural things. The only lemonade i have found that doesn't contain aspartame is R White's, a lot of mints have it in, etc etc... when i got better, i spent months checking every thing i ate to see what was in it (not helped by the fact that i'm lactose intolerant!). I even had my ex checking things! Now i'm quite good on knowing what i can and can't eat, but it has gotten so limited (and quite expensive). I'm with you on the worry about what it's doing to our health, but you can already see it - cancer has risen so much since the advent of all these 'healthy' and alternative options to going to the shop and picking out fresh produce - ie, the 40's/50's. People say they have no time to cook, but frankly, i'd rather make time than make myself feel constantly shitty. I was lucky when i was younger, because though both of my parents worked full time, mum always made an effort to come home and cook a meal from scratch rather than get ready meals/stuff out of cans/takeaways, so i'm glad of having that start in life. We still don't have things like pasta sauces and stuff in our house - if i want something like that, i have to make it from scratch!
  • Options
    Properly cooked stuff tastes nicer anyway.
    And it doesn't take *that* much longer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Properly cooked stuff tastes nicer anyway.
    And it doesn't take *that* much longer.

Hmm. While i'm with you on the fact that it tastes nicer, have you tried comparing the time of pasta sauce made from scratch to that of pasta sauce out of a jar? It's LOOOOOOOOOONNNNG!!!!
  • Options
    Hmm. While i'm with you on the fact that it tastes nicer, have you tried comparing the time of pasta sauce made from scratch to that of pasta sauce out of a jar? It's LOOOOOOOOOONNNNG!!!!

Jar stuff tastes evil.

Jar of sun dried tomatoes (plum tomatoes dried manually takes a day and a night on gas mark 1...so yeah ages), red peppers, tomato puree and an onion (bit of garlic and salt, too).

Blend it.

Bosh, lurvely pasta sauce.
    It goes well with chicken.

:D:yum:

It takes a bit longer, but not all day...and is much, much, much nicer.
  • Options
    but oh so much more effort. And time consuming. And messy.

Nah, jar stuff does ming. But it's easier if you don't have much time, pasta is supposed to be fast, dammit!

You missed out the red wine. And you HAVE to have garlic. And salt, pepper, mixed herbs.
  • Options
    but oh so much more effort. And time consuming. And messy.

Nah, jar stuff does ming. But it's easier if you don't have much time, pasta is supposed to be fast, dammit!

You missed out the red wine. And you HAVE to have garlic. And salt, pepper, mixed herbs.

I have red wine...when...when...ok...so I drank it. :o
    But yes, red wine makes it better.

Blenders aren't messy (if you put the lid on) :p

Pasta takes 10 minutes...as long as it takes to cook chicken/sauce.
    The sauce production takes 10/15 minutes...not too long.
  • Options
    but then you have to wash the blender up :p

I have red wine. My mum has red wine. I use mum's red wine to cook. I drink my red wine :D

Shush. I'm obviously just really lazy. I don't care. Pasta with pesto and tomato ketchup'll do me.

And yes, it tastes lovely, try it - the TK makes the pesto a little sweeter.

And yes again. I do get ill from the parmesan. i don't care, i like pesto :p