Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How to celebrate Saddam's birthday.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In Baghdad, nearly three weeks after U.S. troops seized the city, the compulsory mass celebrations that Saddam orchestrated for his birthday were, predictably, absent.

"Whenever we had those elections for president, everyone voted for him 100 percent," said Hussein al-Khafaji, an Iraqi Air Force colonel. "And today nothing will happen, and this will prove that none of us liked him, not a one."

Elsewhere in the city, a ragged man carried a placard down central Saddoun Street depicting Saddam with horns and a noose around his neck. "This is your birthday. Shame on you," it read. Nearby, young men hawked photocopied sheets of the U.S. Central Command's card deck of most-wanted figures, shouting to motorists,

"Get the names of the Saddam clique!"

"Today is a day of happiness for me, because we got rid of him. He destroyed us," said Munhal Taleb, a 30-year-old carpenter. "We ask God that he never returns, because we are happy and -- God willing -- things will be better."

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In Baghdad, nearly three weeks after U.S. troops seized the city, the compulsory mass celebrations that Saddam orchestrated for his birthday were, predictably, absent.

There were a number of flag wavers still. If we saved you from your government and Pres then you'd still be there waving your picture of Bush.

Looks like you're a Saddam fundamentalist, my flag-waving friend!
    Can't wave any flags just now....they're too tired from surfing.:p
    Huh! Go on, rub it in!!!

After all Sun tan lotion helps prevent sunburn!
    i'll bet he's had a real gas of a party tonight. forthy beer and lederhosen. accordians and berets. the best champagne.
    'give us another shot ...' would be exciting.
    don't shoot me i'm only the piano player) face down by the end of the evening ...!i remember ...hic in the good old days when mrs thatchit and ronnald mc donald ruled the world. couldn't do enough for me then could they aye ...hic
    happy birthday sad! you managed two of the sixes aye. by the way i have it on good authority the drug squad might be round at your gaff soon so ...