Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does he have to?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Ok, I've now become so unhappy in my job that I cant stay any more, and am quitting without another job.
But my dad has told me he wont give me any money, despite the fact that I'm a full time student and only 17, therefore its not compulsory for me to have a job.Am i still entitled to get money off him if i dont have a job? Our family isnt hard up or anything, he just doesnt want to have to pay for me.
Any help appreciated!
:(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    course youre not entitled to money off him. Id left home by your age. get a job or sign on.
  • Options
    Re: Does he have to?
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    Ok, I've now become so unhappy in my job that I cant stay any more, and am quitting without another job.
    But my dad has told me he wont give me any money, despite the fact that I'm a full time student and only 17, therefore its not compulsory for me to have a job.Am i still entitled to get money off him if i dont have a job? Our family isnt hard up or anything, he just doesnt want to have to pay for me.
    Any help appreciated!
    :(

I've been working since i was 15, not because we are hard up or anything, but because I like the idea of earning my own money and working hard to get the things I want. I dont wanna sound cruel but I'd crack up if I gave up my job and had to live off hand outs. its about dignity girl.

Im only 18 at the mo, but Id never expect my parents to support me if I gave up work. Obviously I cut back my hrs coming up to exams etc but i manage to survive on the dosh ive saved. Im a full time student too.
    How bout getting a new job, even just on saturdays? Then when u get holidays from school/college you can increase your hrs?
  • Options
    While you are in fulltime education your parents are 'expected' to support you at least partially, financially. However this is not enforced by law, thus it is pretty much up to the parents whether they do or not once you are 16.

If you are short on cash you should consider getting another job, but also talk to your tutor at college... there are often hardship loans and grants for hard up college students, and if you don't ask, you don't get! (however seeing as you are living at home, and no doubt being fed etc by your parents, you won't be a priority and probably will only be offered money to help pay for books/ transport to and from college).

(ps - obviously you can't sign on if you are in full time education)

Susie :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie

(ps - obviously you can't sign on if you are in full time education)

Susie :)

You can't sign on when you are 17 either!

Your parents have no obligation to support you so if I were you I would stick with the job!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    You can't sign on when you are 17 either!

Actually in special circumstances you can, but they do not apply here ...