Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Ram

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to buy some more ram, but ive noticed that there are types, not SD or DDR, but the other type of pc-100 or pc-133. Can anyone explain to me these? I think its something to do with your pc's performence, e.g if your pc is low spec, then pc-100 is for you, and pc-133 for high spec. Anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    SDRAM is starting to be disowned and DDRAM has become a standard memory device.
    New stuff like is dual channel DDR is starting to be used a lot more.

And pc-100 and 133 is the ram u get depending on your motherboards bus speed.
  • Options
    You get sdram or ddrram depending on your motherboard too. If you have sdram already, and that's all that your motherboard supports, then you can't have ddrram.
  • Options
    Re: Ram
    Originally posted by hyukie
    I need to buy some more ram, but ive noticed that there are types, not SD or DDR, but the other type of pc-100 or pc-133. Can anyone explain to me these? I think its something to do with your pc's performence, e.g if your pc is low spec, then pc-100 is for you, and pc-133 for high spec. Anyone know?

PC-133 is faster ram than PC-100, but it will only operate at whatever speed your motherboard can support, and, unless your motherboard is very eccentric, it will only operate at the speed of the slowest set of ram in your computer. EG if you have some PC100 and some PC133 then it will all operate as PC100.

Anything that is PC100 or PC133 will be SDRAM, DDR ram will be double that, as it's name implies. DDR ram follows some other silly numbering convention, that I forget.
  • Options
    so if i used pc-133 ram, and my motherboards bus speed wasnt goo enough, it would just be used as a pc-100? i might just play it safe and go for pc-100, or get a newmotherboard and pc-133 hmmmm
  • Options
    so if i used pc-133 ram, and my motherboards bus speed wasnt goo enough, it would just be used as a pc-100?

Yes.

i might just play it safe and go for pc-100, or get a newmotherboard and pc-133 hmmmm

To be honest you would not be likely to notice the difference. If you were going to get a new motherboard, you would be better off getting a new model which supports DDR RAM and getting a new processor to go with it.
  • Options
    ok thanks :) i think ill just buy a pc-100 version as im not really interested in upgrading motherboards and processor yet (lack of money :(). Just need to install it when i get it, just a slot in and done?
  • Options
    ok thanks :) i think ill just buy a pc-100 version as im not really interested in upgrading motherboards and processor yet (lack of money :(). Just need to install it when i get it, just a slot in and done?

Generally.