Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Dial Up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone just asked if there is any point in having a firewall with dial up. WHat is dial up? :confused:

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Dial Up?
    Originally posted by Van The Man
    Someone just asked if there is any point in having a firewall with dial up. WHat is dial up? :confused:

    Someone with a modem as oppossed to broadband.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh and there is every point. Wether you are dialling up or are fixed you are still connected the net and still open for hackers, etc....
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    true.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i know dial-ups still can get hacked, but is it just that a slower speed, hax0rs cant be bothered to wait for data?

    and didnt i ask that question somewhere anyways?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ah yeah, van the man, going to see less than jake 22nd may ^_^
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by hyukie
    i know dial-ups still can get hacked, but is it just that a slower speed, hax0rs cant be bothered to wait for data?

    no, its not that a noticible change unless you are uploading files from their computer
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The other thing is that they can regularly hack you when you are on broadband, due to you having a static IP, while on dialup your IP changes everytime you connect.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy
    The other thing is that they can regularly hack you when you are on broadband, due to you having a static IP, while on dialup your IP changes everytime you connect.

    As usual, I will say this may happen with most ISPs, but not necessarily with all of them.

    Broadband <> Static IP, and Dial up <> Dynamic IP.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a brick slow 56k dial up with a Norton firewall and i am always getting reports of attempted attack on my computer so dial up is just as vunerable as broadband
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    norton sucks, takes up too much ram -_-;
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Sharkky
    I have a brick slow 56k dial up with a Norton firewall and i am always getting reports of attempted attack on my computer so dial up is just as vunerable as broadband
    Not true. Norton is reporting what are called 'port scans'. These are not attacks (in the most part), just someone having a look at your computer.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the main reason that dail-up connections are safer is that they most people use them for around half an hour a day, so when a scritpt-kiddie comes looking, he doesn't find you and thinks you must have an awesome adaptive firewall.
Sign In or Register to comment.