Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Chat line operator?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There was an ad in my very respectable broadsheet recruitment pages this week for (and I quote)

"discreet and open-minded ladies required to answer calls from gentlemen callers...£10 per hour, working from home"

I was thinking of doing it a few hours a week, but I don't know if I'm brave enough! Or stupid enough....

Comments

• Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    You should give it a go, just for the laugh :)
  • Options
    I think id go with "I dont think you are stupid enough not to see a con when you see one " Right ;)

Respectable men, chatlines, £10 per hour......come off it, its a rip off :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I think id go with "I dont think you are stupid enough not to see a con when you see one " Right ;)

Respectable men, chatlines, £10 per hour......come off it, its a rip off :D

I get paid just over half that to stand in a shop all day selling to rich areseholes with no respect for you. I can't imagine this would be so different, except it's sad arseholes wanting you to talk dirty to them. It's only be for 3 or 4 hours a week, which is another £120-160 a month. I'm about to buy a house so it would come in really handy, mercenary person that I am.
  • Options
    What exactly will you have to say? Is it a 'friendly' chat line, or a sexual one?
  • Options
    I appreciate that if you can earn double what your earning then it does sound nice, but honestly id really look into it.

I personally think it sounds too good to be true, but hey thats just my opinion :)

If I was in your shoes id really take a good look at how the whole system works and make sure you really read the smallprint :)
  • Options
    i'd say go for it, as long as you're sure your privacy will be totally protected.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    What exactly will you have to say? Is it a 'friendly' chat line, or a sexual one?

I imagine it'll be sexual, but let's face it, I can be sitting around with no slap on in my jammies talking bull to a stranger i'll never have to see in real life. I think u get to choose when u work, so I could do it when I had a spare couple of hours at night. I'm always last to bed anyway.
  • Options
    i think you'd be pretty silly to do it. They will have your home number! or mobile. I know it's extra money and you don't have to do much but wouldn't you rather do something a bit more respectable. I mean, having blokes talking like that to you and moaning down the phone etc. I wouldn't like it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lovedup
    I imagine it'll be sexual, but let's face it, I can be sitting around with no slap on in my jammies talking bull to a stranger i'll never have to see in real life. I think u get to choose when u work, so I could do it when I had a spare couple of hours at night. I'm always last to bed anyway.

Are you single? If not, what will your partner think?

I think it is a little creepy, but each to their own.
  • Options
    I don't think respectability really comes into it. I have a degree but I can't work full time just now because I have a baby, so I work p/t in a shit job and basically just see this as a short term project to supplement my income and to help with all the unexpected expenses buying a new home comes with. I don't want to be working outside of the house any more than I am just now with the bubba, so this seems like a plausible solution.

You don't give out your home number, you are provided with a second line.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    Are you single? If not, what will your partner think?

He thinks I'm joking....
  • Options
    I don't think respectability really comes into it. I have a degree but I can't work full time just now because I have a baby, so I work p/t in a shit job and basically just see this as a short term project to supplement my income and to help with all the unexpected expenses buying a new home comes with. I don't want to be working outside of the house any more than I am just now with the bubba, so this seems like a plausible solution.

You don't give out your home number, you are provided with a second line.

first i would check out how safe you'll be. that should be your number 1 priority.

if you're totally protected then why the hell not?

i'd do it if i didn't sound like a retarded librarian when i try to talk dirty.

you're not selling your body, or your self. you're just selling ideas to people. making people happy.
  • Options
    I for one applaud you for as they say "getting of you arse" and to be honest if you want to do it and there is no catch, your 100% sure everything is legit then go for it.........but just make sure its nothing dodgy thats all.
  • Options
    He thinks I'm joking....

lol. If a girlfriend of mine did it, I would understandably and predictably not be happy. :)

If you and your partner are happy with it, and everything is absolutely legitimate, go for it.

I urge you to read the contract completely. I would be happy to do this for you (email it to me) and I will tell you of any potentially onerous terms. It is essential you do this before you accept it, for if you accept the offer you will be accepting all the terms contained within it - regardless of whether you agree to them or not (there is an exception to this, but don't worry about that now). If you have any problems with any of the terms, you must negociate with the firm on these BEFORE accepting their offer. If you do not, you will be legally obliged to perform every term contained within the binding agreement, and if you do not you will be in breach of it and thus could be sued.

Sorry if I scared you - just gotta be aware of the situation. :)
  • Options
    I for one applaud you for as they say "getting of you arse"

Ah, you can always trust our Becks to find summat positive to say in a dodgy situation.:) ;)
  • Options
    I for one applaud you for as they say "getting of you arse" and to be honest if you want to do it and there is no catch, your 100% sure everything is legit then go for it.........but just make sure its nothing dodgy thats all.

ooohhhh almost forgot, if it is legit give them my number I could do with earning a few more quid myself ;):p
  • Options
    Ah, you can always trust our Becks to find summat positive to say in a dodgy situation.:) ;)

aaahhhh so now your saying it may be dodgy :lol::lol:

Nah seriously if its legit then why not? if you want to do it and youre gonna be earning canny money for it :)
  • Options
    I don't see any harm in phoning them up and finding out more about the job. Personally I think that it sounds like a great way to earn money if everything is above board. Good luck with this and let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    Check out everything thoroughly, and if you're satisfied that you would remain anonymous, and there's no risk to yourself, then go for it. I would be wary if you have to make any payment, or "outlay", first though.
    As you said, you get half that for having to put up with arsehole customers, so if you don't mind talking about sex, and are very open minded, then why not.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    They don't get your home number. They phone the main line and get connected to a special extension number that you are known by. Also you can hang up on someone whenever you like, or you can quit if it really gets that bad. I would do it for a bit, if it's not that bad carry it on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    i'd do it if i didn't sound like a retarded librarian when i try to talk dirty.

HAHA! That`s you and me both legal! :lol:

My mate Paula would be excellent at that. We`ve discussed it on many an occasion.

Also, I saw a programme about these women not so long back. They were all middle aged women who sitting there doing their knitting and stuff while they chatted. They looked like they could be your mum (or your Gran, some of them!)

Go for it lovedup, if you think you could do it.
  • Options
    Talking dirty to old blokes then....lol

I saw a prog about that..Some women used to just plain dirt to blokes and she got about the same I think.