Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

motivation problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out? Since I was young, iv always been really motivated to work, probably out of fear of my teachers because i used to be a real worrier! Im just terrible now,no longer scared of the teachers, i have my french AS oral next week and iv done about half the work and i just cant make myself do the work, i just continually procrastinate.

Also, a completely different matter, but iv always thought i would go and work in the financial sector when i was older,like a real city slicker and earn some serious money, but the other day i just felt i was being so selfish and that i should be something like a doctor and make a real difference to peoples lives,but iv not chosen a single science subject for A level so that looks out of the question. Anyone had a similar experience, if so what did you do?

Anyway thanks for hearing me out, i feel better for getting this off of my chest!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    With the French oral (I've got my A2 one in just over a week too, and am also struggling with the procrastination bug!), I'd suggest just forcing yourself to do just 10 minutes a day, either recording yourself talking on tape, or preparing the topics, whatever you still need to do.
    Although it doesn't seem like much, even just 10 minutes thinking in French will help to get you up to speed in time for the oral. It's also easier not to procrastinate if you tell yourself it's only 10 mins because that way you can get onto doing other things straight after...think of something you really want to do, and say you can't do it until you've done some french. So if you really want to watch TV or come online, don't let yourself. You may even find that once you've started, you get into it and can go for a bit longer.

As for the other, I can't really be much help, but the only thing I can say is that it's important that you're happy in whatever you're doing. If the money is really important to you, then I'd stick with that plan, because even if you think you "should" help people, if it's not what you really really want to do with your life, you won't be much good at it anyway!
    If you did decide to go for medicine, you'd almost certainly have to repeat the year you've just done, because they would definitely need you to have very good grades in the required science subjects, as it's hard to get into anyway.

I think it would be a really good idea for you to have a chat with a careers advisor (is there one at your school/college?).

Good luck with it all, I hope this has helped at least a little!
    El_dude, I know how you feel-can't seem to revise anymore. I put so much effort into GCSEs that i've run out of energy for AS :( Xapis, I like the 10 min idea for language oral! My German one is quite good (since it's mostly the oral teacher's words) but i've got to actually remember all the vocab and facts now. What topics did everyone do? I did Hitler lol..cheery.
    I found the careers advisor at my school rubbish-last year he just entered subjects you were interested in on his little computer, printed off endless sheets and told you what you already knew. And he spilt coffee all over me :mad:
    Hehe, careers advisors can be an interesting experience! The one I went to also told me what I already knew, like yours did Luce, but some of my friends found it a useful experience so I guess you can only try and see!

For my AS topics I did Tourism for German (the most boring thing I have ever had to talk about!) and Wine for French! I loved doing the wine presentation and discussion because it was really interesting! Although French orals are my worst nightmare so it was pretty scary!

This year for A2 we have to choose 3 topics...one we hope to talk about and 2 for standby (we have to do a reading text first and if the text overlaps with out first topic, we start with the 2nd and then move onto the 3rd if we get stuck, so the 3rd is only if you're really unlucky).
    I'm doing Euthanasia, Atmospheric Pollution and Smoking. I haven't prepared smoking AT all, and am just about ok on the other 2...

good luck with all the orals everyone...I for one can't WAIT till mine is over! I'm so glad i'm not doing German aswell this year or I think i really would die!
    Im doing my French A2 oral in just over a week too :nervous:

I'm talking about animal testing for my main topic, and then battery farming and GM foods for the other two, but I guess that's a bit beside the point.

I know French orals can seem intimidating, but you've just got to force yourself to start and prepare. Even if you haven't got much time left; doing something, rather than giving up, will improve your grade - even if its only by a few marks.

When I'm trying to work on mine, I read it over and over in my head for about 15 minutes, trying to remember as much as I can, and then I get my mum or my boyfriend to play the examiner and test me. They don't speak french, so I write out some things for them to say in English. I find that helps a lot, cos then I'm not so overwhelmed by the exam situation on the day.

Just try to do a little bit every day, and reward yourself for revising (like with some chocolate or watching your fave TV show)

Hope things start to go your way :thumb:

p.s remember - if its an AS oral you can always re-sit at a later date, when perhaps you'll be more motivated and focused

Good luck:wave:
    Hey! Don't worry (too much) about not feeling motivated. You're not alone - I showed your post to a few of my friends and we're all feeling the same! We all have orals (Wed and Mon). It's shocking. I've not prepared anything for Mon yet. AAAGH.

How are you all?

TIM
    you need an adrenaline rush to kick you into gear but I'm not sure what will do so
    i have my oral tomorrow.

quite frankly :crying: !!!

the time got nigh and i still didn't work - motivation really became less of a problem and more of an issue :banghead:

anyway...good luck once again to one and all. oh yes, and with regard to adrenaline rush, apparently red bull gives you wings (it didn't work on me though, just made me go a bit funny!)

happy happy one and all.

TIM
    good luck with oral
    Know how u feel

Hey,

I know how you feel mate, i have no motivation, although i am relatively intelligent and have ambition, i still seem not to want to work, i have under 3 weeks till my A2 exams and i havent revised. I am buggered, but ill scrape it somehow, usually do! Hope the oral went well, just think of Uni, gonna be sweet wherever u go
    This time last year i was sunbathing (and i promise you there was a wee bit of sun) instead of revising. I still did ok and well just made myself do a bit at last minute (in the middle of crying).

Just think if you don't, you'll be back there next year!!!!