Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Faked photograph in US magazines on front page of London Evening Standard

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Picture removed cos it's too big - use link below to see it. Please read FAQ about posting pics.

Simone Moore would like to report a massive display in propaganda that appeared in the evening edition of the Evening Standard, Wednesday the 9th April.

The front page has a massive photo on it with the heading 'Jubilation on the streets of Baghdad FREEDOM'

The photo is a still taken from BBC News 24. This massive image has been very obviously doctored in a programme such as Photoshop. The image features a massive crowd of Iraqi's celebrating in the streets, HOWEVER in the mid and background it is possible to see how numerous photo's have been cut and pasted together to create the illusion of there being a massive crowd present.

In the background there is a white object (very possibly a turban) that appears three times. In the background exactly the same bent tubular object (possibly an arm in a white shirt) appears twice. In the mid to background section (to the right hand side) a man in a white shirt appears facing the camera, further on to the left the man appears with his head facing the left. This man has been photographed twice, one shortly after the other.

In the background it is possible to see a 'blurring tool' has been used to blur the cut and pastes used to doctor the photograph. It is also possible to see the usage of numerous photographs (as least 2) as they have been taken at slightly different angles and strange lines of sight appear in the image.

Although we have seen jubilation crowds celebrating in Baghdad, none of them have been of this quantity and when the head title reads 'FREEDOM' I wonder when the press will just report the news instead of manipulating it to suit their image.

http://uk.indymedia.org:8081/front.php3?article_id=63011&group=webcast

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok so maybe I'd believe more that if the picture was actually decent quality...

But having seen this
    [pic removed, too big. Please see above]

I can see where people are coming from
    This is a tactic used often, recently and famously by Milosevic when he was trying to prove to the world what massive support he had in Yugoslavia.

If this does indeed prove to be a fake, it is very sad that our suppossedly open democratic governments go to such lengths to prove their points. Perhaps they feel a bit guilty about this war?

But then again, after the Taziq 'desertion', entire 8,000 Iraqi division 'surrender', British soldiers 'executions', massive chemical weapons factory 'find' and other such porkies, it doesn't surprise me one bit that people are resorting to doctoring pictures. Especially as the clock ticks and the alleged Iraqi WMDs keep failing to materialise.
    Originally posted by Aladdin

If this does indeed prove to be a fake, it is very sad that our suppossedly open democratic governments go to such lengths to prove their points. Perhaps they feel a bit guilty about this war?

Governments?

Seems like it is a media issue, not a government issue.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    If this does indeed prove to be a fake, it is very sad that our suppossedly open democratic governments go to such lengths to prove their points.

Surely you aren't blaming the Govt for the media reports? Unless you are suggesting that the Govt comtrols the media...?
    I very much doubt any newspaper, even the S*n itself, would go to such trouble as to doctor a photograph to support their point. Newspapers don't need to do such things- their editorials, full of spin and half truths, are all they need.

Perhaps no government had an influence on this- perhaps the press agency that took the picture is highly sympathetic to the Allies' cause and did it out of their own account. Or perhaps a few discreet calls were made at some point by the Allies asking friendly media organisations to give them some extra help. Either way, it doesn't matter that much anymore.
    Having seen the image in it's frontpage printed 'glory', and knowing the super intelligent girl who spotted it, I'd be inclined to believe her... but that's just me

Susie :)
    I'd personally like to see the footage from the same event, the image does look doctored but it also has the grainy effect of a film that has been paused halfway through.
    There is no the picture would be such low quality from a reporter's camera.
    Oh God, youre back.

Anyway, the media and the Government are intertwined to an horrific extent. The Evening Standard is owened by the Mail Group, as far as I am aware, so no doubt they oculd have used it opff their own bat- the Mail dont exactly let truth get in the way of a good story. But its a bit too conveninet, like the Torygraph "finding" those "documents" "about" George Galloway- it stinks of Blairite spin.

Either way iots about as true as Cinderella.