Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Asthma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know anything about 'activity induced asthma'? When I exercise, even for short periods of time, it gets really hard to breathe, but my heart rate is still average (my resting heart rate is 58bmp, and it rises to about 65) my throat burns, and feels like sandpaper, and I can't get any air in or anything. Someone said it might be activity induced asthma. both my parents smoke heavilly and my dad makes me work in his study, where he sits and smokes like a chimney.. I was wondering if asthma can be caused by passive smoking?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get it checked out by a doctor as soon as you can. If you do have that form of asthma, there's a whole range of good treatments for it.
    Asthma can be started by being around someone who smokes or smoking yourself.

I had asthma all my life, had it really bad while I was a little kid and was in and out of hospitals because it was that bad, but then it had ceased pretty well and was under control until I was about 16 after about a little over a year of smoking and it has gotten a bit worse since the time that I had started smoking. So smoking can start it, but I wold go to a doctor and ask a doctor of all the possibilities of what might have caused your asthma and what he/she might suggest to help keep it under control.
    having suffered loads from asthma as a kid I somehow managed using breathing exercises (self taught) to make things a whole lot better. when I exercise it can still play up but i have found breathing in through my nose helps things loads. basically we should only breathe through our noses, but that is not always possible during physical activity.
    try breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth as a compromise, oh and try to avoid too much passive smoking as that won't help.
    GP can offer good treatments - but you do need to sort out what’s causing it, otherwise its like taking pain killers to stop the pain and a plaster to stop the bleeding when actually pulling the spear/knife/sharp implement out would be the best move.
    Have a look around this site. There are some useful links and information about asthma.

Hope that helps. :)