Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what age??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya, well i was just wondering what age u all went on the pill, and what age do you think is acceptable? My mate is 14 almost 15. she has an 18yr old bf and they are sleeping together, shes now on the pill, do you think this is to young? in my oppinion it is.

Comments

• Options
    Re: what age??
    Originally posted by sexyassmoma
    do you think this is to young? in my oppinion it is.

No offence, but having a baby at 15 you surely don't want any of you're mates to get into the same situation? So why is she too young to be on the pill! 14 might be too young to be on the pill, but it's also too young to be having sex and getting pregnant.
  • Options
    to make a point i never chose to have tegan!!! i wish ppl would stop making out i did..i was raped...ergh i hate saying that!!!
  • Options
    I personally believe that 14 is too young to be having sex, and also too young therefore to go on the pill.

BUT if she's already having sex then of course she should go on the pill! Waaaaay better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    I personally believe that 14 is too young to be having sex, and also too young therefore to go on the pill.

BUT if she's already having sex then of course she should go on the pill! Waaaaay better safe than sorry.

Yup I agree.

I was nearly 17 when I went on the pill and had been with my boyfriend at the time for about 8 months, but then I didn't start having sex until I was 16.
  • Options
    I agree with the others - its really too young to be having sex especially with somebody who is 18. But its not too young to be going on the pill, to ensure that she will be protected:)
  • Options
    to make a point i never chose to have tegan!!! i wish ppl would stop making out i did..i was raped...ergh i hate saying that!!!

I never assumed that you did choose to have a baby at 15! Was merely pointing out that since you are a 15yr old Mum you would surely prefer your young mates to be on the pill whatever their age than having babies.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    I never assumed that you did choose to have a baby at 15! Was merely pointing out that since you are a 15yr old Mum you would surely prefer your young mates to be on the pill whatever their age than having babies.

sorry Faith it just seems like im automatically presumed as a slag..sorry!
  • Options
    Well I've been on the pill for 3 months, and I'm 18. I lost my virginity when I was nearly 17 and I think 14 is maybe too young to be having sex, but going on the pill is a responsible thing to do as it shows she's thinking about the risk of getting pregnant.

One thing I'd be worried about is whether her boyfriend made her go on the pill so he could stop using condoms. It should definitely be something she did out of her own choice. Is she still using a barrier method of protection? And if not, is she sure her boyfriend doesn't have any STIs? That would be my main concern, especially as she has a boyfriend who's significantly older.

LSS
  • Options
    I went on it at 15.
  • Options
    I think if shes having sex, then of course she should go on the pill, at least shes thinking about her actions and using contraception, which is more than a lot of teenagers do, otherwise we wouldnt have such a high teenage pregnancy rate. shes a bit young to be having sex, but at least shes being responsible about it.
  • Options
    I don't think they should be having sex so young but since they are, it's better they were on the pill. This 18 year old "man" is a paedophile by the way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    . This 18 year old "man" is a paedophile by the way.
    Although it is morally wrong in most peoples opinions for a 15 year old and an 18 year old to have sex, and its also illegal, Its not really paedophilia, as the 15 year old isnt a pre-pubescent child, and the 18 year old is not much older than her. A label like paedophile shouldnt really be used so flippantly.
  • Options
    I went on it at 16, nearly 17. I think that if its for use with a long term partner, then 15 is ok.
    And sexyassmoma, Tegan is a beautiful name :)
  • Options
    i was 16.

truth be told i was more interesting in the whole 'lighter less painful periods bit'.
  • Options
    i don't think it's too young. If ur having sex u should be on it!
    My girlfriend had her child when she was 14 so yeah i think your friend should be the pill
  • Options
    I'm agreeing with most people here - while 14 is too young to be having sex, if she is going to do it, then it's better than she's sorted herself out with contraception.

I went on the pill at 15, when my first l-t b/f were together, partly because we'd started having sex and partly because i was interested in the whole lighter periods with less pain thing. It didn't work, so now i just have one every nine weeks!
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonShiner
    And sexyassmoma, Tegan is a beautiful name :)

Thank u :)
  • Options
    Okay I take it back, maybe he isn't a paedophile but he is certainly not a responsible and normal adult.
  • Options
    Hunny pot is right in one sense though. An 18 year old can be prosecuted for sleeping with someone who is underage. If he is he ends up on the same sex offenders list as paedophiles - it isn't really fair. But then again you have to wonder why an 18 year old is with a 15 year old....

I went on the pill just before my 16th Birthday, mainly because my periods where irregular and I was doing sexual stuff with my boyfriend and it stoped me worring. I didn't lose virginity to my boyfriend till just after my 16th Birthday. We are still together and very much in love. :love:
  • Options
    I was 25...and went on the pill because of failure of a condom.

I think 14 is too young to be having sex too but if I had a daughter I would rather she be on the pill and having sex than not be on the pill and having sex at such a young age.

As far as I can tell a 14 year old having sex has some serious self esteem problems.

By the way, perhaps she should use condoms too???
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    I don't think they should be having sex so young but since they are, it's better they were on the pill. This 18 year old "man" is a paedophile by the way.

By legal definition this man WOULD be classed a paedophile...he would be placed upon the sex register if he were caught and prosecuted. Simple as that really.

Wonder what kicks he gets from having sex with a child??
  • Options
    In my opinion yes it is too young.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    By legal definition this man WOULD be classed a paedophile...he would be placed upon the sex register if he were caught and prosecuted. Simple as that really.

Wonder what kicks he gets from having sex with a child??

Thats what I said!
  • Options
    Just noticed someone was talking about this whole 15 year old girl with an 18 year old guy thing etc. and said it was alright if the girl consents etc. You CAN'T consent at the age of 15 in the eyes of the law, no matter how mature for your age you may appear to be. You can't use the excuse 'but she's old for her age'. If she's under 16, she can't consent, simple.
  • Options
    But then magically on her 16th birthday she can consent? Like all of a sudden she has this new-found maturity? That's what I dont understand.
  • Options
    We have to have an age of consent though. If we didn't it would be fine for 10 year olds to have sex....

Personally I don't think there is much of a difference between 15 and 16, however I still feel the law should be there - even though in this case it seems ok to break it. I probably aren't making much sense. lol.

This girl doesn't seem that responsible if she has been presuaded to neglect condoms for the pill. Has she had this guy checked out for STI's. If not she is in danger.

Me and my guy always use condoms besides the fact I am on the pill and we were both completely innocent virgins when we met. Using condoms help me relax or I would just stress worrying bout pregnancy.
  • Options
  • Options
    Re: what age??
    Hiya, well i was just wondering what age u all went on the pill, and what age do you think is acceptable?

Well i went on the pill at 12. And before i start a moral debate it was purely to control some amazing ("waterfall" as described by my doctor) type periods so under those circumstances i don't think there is an "acceptable" age. As for the sex reason thats a different subject all together!
  • Options
    Originally posted by StarryEyes
    But then magically on her 16th birthday she can consent? Like all of a sudden she has this new-found maturity? That's what I dont understand.

You dont suddenly have the ability to drive overnight on your 17th birthday, you dont only have the tolerance to take alcohol when you're 18. The world is based on rules, which have to be stuck somewhere. Wthout rules we'd be in bloody disarrary!
  • Options
    My point wasnt so much that we dont need these rules, because we do, but that I dont see why the 18yrold going out with the 15yrold is seen as being a pervert.