Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

This cant be right..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How come when you buy satalite / cable ect which all supply the tv channels ect ,you pay for what you want to watch dont you ? which is fair enough.So why is it you HAVE got to pay the BBC whether you watch it or not .
I dont know bout everyone but since i got sky digital i never watch the bbc itv or any of those channels for the simple reason that theres much better and more upto date progs on sky.
The bbc say quote"its a unique way of funding" dam right it is over £100 a year for what ?? i dont evan watch the dam thing.What else do you pay for and not use ???? i cant think of anything. Why doesnt people disagree with it they just pay or not pay as the case may be.Is there only me who thinks this??? may be there is Id love to hear what you think and if you recon its well worth the money you pay. sorry for moaning its been one of those days today lol :-):confused:

Comments

• Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    We got the BBC freeview stuff.. and there's no channels on there really worth watching to be honest. Noone's ever around to watch BBC3 and the other evening channels when they're on, and there are now 3 news channels to pick from.. :p we don't exactly feel ripped off.. Well, I think mum and dad do, but they're in denial. I sure reckon it was a waste of money!!

I have no doubt that satellite/cable gives a wider variety of channels :)
  • Options
    Yeah i agree they have brought alot of new channels out but how come were forced to pay for them if we dont watch them.why dont they advertise like itv /channel 4 and 5 they can make the same amount of money if not more but while they have us paying it there not going to are they .
    Basicaly what i mean is why not turn bbc channels off and if you want to watch them then pay for what you want .yeah theyd have to advertise but whats wrong with that ??
    I mean they evan charge blind people they knock about a tenner off if thats not ripping people off i dont know what is .
  • Options
    i can easily answers your questions - because the bbc are dicks
  • Options
    Dave Grohl [was he the nirvana drummer who joined the foo fighters or am i confused again] got it in one :thumb:
  • Options
    I actually think the licence fee is worth the money *ducks!*. Admittedly the new BBC channels aren't up to much but all new TV channels get that when they launch. But for the money you get 8 BBC TV channels (although only 1,2 and News 24 are worth the money), 5 BBC Radio channels - with no adverts, the BBC website - compare it to ITV's and say it isn't worth the money! Plus a fair and unbiased news which wouldn't happen if you let Murdoch or someone take it over. Plus no adverts between programmes.

Sky is a waste of money - how many people actually watch more than 20 channels on there? I'd rather you just paid on a per channel basis rather all these package deals where you're paying for stuff you're not gonna watch.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    I actually think the licence fee is worth the money
    So do I. Nobody can claim that they never watch those channels anyway, they're lying, there must be something on their you watch.

It comes to about 20p a day or something too.

The BBC is a publically funded form of state television and it is a tradition I hope we keep. There are enough adverts on the other channels anyway.
  • Options
    If I lived on my own I`d get rid of the telly altogether. I never watch it. I cannot remember the last time I sat and watched tv and there are a million other things I`d rather be doing.
  • Options
    Like being on the net eh miffy.

The license fee imo was only good over the time scale where they aired Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles on the Ceebeebies channel or whatever its called.

Thing is though, it doesnt exactly promote efficiency, cos the BBC know theyre going to get xyz amount of money every year anyway.

If Murdoch did the same, people'd be pissed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sanj33v

That`s just one of them. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by duffy_2k
    Dave Grohl [was he the nirvana drummer who joined the foo fighters or am i confused again] got it in one :thumb:

correct he was the drummer from nirvana and is the lead singer from the foo's. ;)

i think it woul dbe easier for them to put on adverts although i hate adverts (well most adverts, especially them crap loan ads, or cheap car insurance) balls to them...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sanj33v

The license fee imo was only good over the time scale where they aired Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles on the Ceebeebies channel or whatever its called.

Thing is though, it doesnt exactly promote efficiency, cos the BBC know theyre going to get xyz amount of money every year anyway.

If Murdoch did the same, people'd be pissed.

he does kinda, sky packages although i know they show ads but you do have to pay to view if that makes sense... the only difference being that you can choose your package to suit you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    If I lived on my own I`d get rid of the telly altogether. I never watch it. I cannot remember the last time I sat and watched tv and there are a million other things I`d rather be doing.

Yep, me too.
  • Options
    The TV licence sucks. £112 for what? Two TV channels and some radio. Yes, I know there's all those "freeview" channels, that you have to pay £100 for a decoder box, and still have to pay for a TV licence to legally watch them - not so "freeview", eh?
    If I had to pay just for the programmes I watched, then I'd pay peanuts.
    Having said that, now I've got the TV card working in the computer, I'm watching a lot more telly as it's often running in a corner of the screen.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I quite like what the BBC does. You get great programs like Top Gear and Robot wars on the TV, some brilliant radio (particularly radio 2) and a useful website. I would agree with Kevlar that it is quite good vfm. Compare that with Sky, where you pay for loads of channels, some of which you might never watch. What's the point of having more than one 24hr news channel for instance? And what about UK Gold? Its just a channel for constant repeats of programs that were crap in the first place.
  • Options
    The BBC is also a crucial tool in exerting the UK's influence around the gllobe, particulary in trying to win over hostile countries (like Afghanistan, Iraq, Serbia) to the west.

Also provides a service to many people around the world, particualry in basic education, and its charter means young people trying to break into the media and such can get work experience, internships, etc.

And has also provided the balance of TV we get over here, which if you only had American TV would appreciate a lot more :D
  • Options
    Because the BBC is funded by the public it means they are a public service broadcaster and as such they have to produce quality programmes and are not forced into creating advertising funded shit.

The BBC do some brilliant programmes and are un-biased broadcasters in a way that other channels just aren't.

Did you know that if you didn't have a tv licence but listened to the radio you would have to bay a radio licence fee!!
  • Options
    But the website is still free...

bonus
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Did you know that if you didn't have a tv licence but listened to the radio you would have to bay a radio licence fee!!

Please show me anywhere where it states this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    I
    Sky is a waste of money - how many people actually watch more than 20 channels on there? I'd rather you just paid on a per channel basis rather all these package deals where you're paying for stuff you're not gonna watch.

Maybe but at least youve got the choice of what you want to watch what have you got for the bbc 2 channels and theres not alot on the second one is there.The only good thing thats come from it is the web site which i admit i have been to a couple of times.But threres other ways they can fund this money how much do they make selling the rights of programs to other channels millions.
    At the moment theres no actual law saying you have to pay you for it and can work out cheaper if you dont.Personaly id rather they lock me up for 28 days feed and keep mi warm and not pay than pay £110 for something that i dont use. Does anyone have any other things that we pay for but not use .
    PS whats wrong with the adverts anyway i think there quite usefull for going to the loo and that dont miss any of the programs then do ya Just a thought :p
  • Options
    I just got FREEVIEW today, We already have sky and we had OnDigital years ago when it first came out.

I have to admit I'm very impressed with the picture quality. It's improved so much since the OnDigital days. Back then the picture would break up everytime someone flisked a lgiht switch on and off.

I only got the box because we are members of Costco an dthey take anything back so thought I'd try it out for a few weeks and see how we go.

Also means I get to watch Sky TV whilst the old folks can watch the news.

Although I'm impressesed with the technology - the channel line up sucks!! ITV2 is good to have - but really miss Sky 1, E4 and Bravo, as well as the Discovery channels so doesn't look like I'll be giving up Sky Digital anytime soon!!