Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How do you bulk up ur forearms?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I mean, you cant exercise them because they dont bend or anythin... or can you?

I was just wonderin if anyone had a problem where they have big biceps compared to scrawny forearms like one of my mates does. Tis really funny tho lol.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yup, I used to have that problem when I started lifting weights. Nearly two years on now, and I totally realise you need to work all aspects of your body so as not to look stupid (like one guy at the gym who only works his biceps, has a skinny concave chest but big guns).

To work your forearms, take an olympic bar and use and over arm grip on it while standing up, then basically curl it upwards.

Alternatively try out www.netfit.co.uk for loads of exercise tips.
  • Options
    That only works half the forearm. To work the other side, sit down while holding a barbell, with palms facing the ceiling, resting your forearms on the top of your legs. Roll your wrists down, and then up as high as possible without moving the rest of your arms. Trust me, you'll feel the forearms working if you do it right.
  • Options
    Thats a dangerous way to work that part of your fore-arm and a technique that used to be popular but is now looked upon with disdain as you can very easily damage your wrists.

To work that part of your forearm, its best to take an olympic bar, hold it with one hand in an underhand grip to steady it and use your other hand with the palm facing the ceiling to turn the bar round and round. It isnt as instantly effective i.e. you need to do a number of sets to shred up the muscle to near failure, but its a safer alternative.
  • Options
    on a slightly different note, how do you de-bulk so to speak.
    I do a lot of different activities (not weights though) and any fat I had has turned into muscle. Problem is though that I'm a woman! My little ephew even told me that my arms make me look like a man :eek:
    I don't want to be skinny or anything, just lose a bit of the bulk from my thighs and upper arms.
    Any tips?
  • Options
    Oh god, de-bulking eh? Your the second female to have asked this question. To be honest, Iam not totally sure.

Thing is, muscle takes longer to loose than it does to gain. So your never gonna totally loose all your muscle. Its not that your fat has turned to muscle, its that its been burned up due to increased activity and increase mucles mass (muslces use up more energy).

So, what you've achieved is probably something called shredding/ripping up where the bodies fat content falls below 18ish% (can vary on different people), where muscle tone and definition is at its maximum.

I dont think eating more fatty foods is the answer though as this may increase your cholesterol. You might want to cut back a bit on your protein if your eating a lot of it, and slightly increase your carbohydrates.

Any other advice anyone?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sanj33v
    Oh god, de-bulking eh? Your the second female to have asked this question. To be honest, Iam not totally sure.

Thing is, muscle takes longer to loose than it does to gain. So your never gonna totally loose all your muscle. Its not that your fat has turned to muscle, its that its been burned up due to increased activity and increase mucles mass (muslces use up more energy).

So, what you've achieved is probably something called shredding/ripping up where the bodies fat content falls below 18ish% (can vary on different people), where muscle tone and definition is at its maximum.

I dont think eating more fatty foods is the answer though as this may increase your cholesterol. You might want to cut back a bit on your protein if your eating a lot of it, and slightly increase your carbohydrates.

Any other advice anyone?

I don't know how dangerous it is, but surely just a plain fast would do the job, a few days on then a day off, etc, since the body prefers to use muscle tissue in times of fast :confused:

I don't know if I'd recommend it though, could be bad for your health, especially long term
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys!
    I don't think I'll go for an all out fast...I don't think I could handle it:)

My carb intake is quite high t the moment so I think I'll cut down on the protein.