Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Can't Stand it anymore.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I live in a big house, in the suburbs. We are relatively well off and live in the south.

My parents can't stand each other. My house is hell, they refuse to split up 'because of the children' and so my Mum is a simmering pot of anger and she never (I am being serious) says anything in a nice tone of voice to me unless she has just had a REALLY big fight with me and is apologising.

I DO help around the house - clearing up the kitchen daily and sorting out washing etc regularly. I also occasionally cook and always clean up after meals. But it sounds, in everything she says to me, like she REALLY resents me and lately its really been getting to me. I've started answering back and fighting with her and its just getting worse but I can't stand constantly being put down and I hate coming home. My brothers are alright because they have friends nearby they can escape to but most of my friends live in brighton and its not easy to get there so i'm stuck in this house with my parents throwing things at each other and I feel shit.

Any similar stories?

Comments

• Options
    Lol glad im not the only one! My house is absolute hell too. My mum can never speak nicely to anyone. She always snaps and shouts. She scares all my friends. She even scares me sometimes...think she is nuts! I generally try and keep away from my parents as much as possible to avoid all the crap.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fairy
    Lol glad im not the only one! My house is absolute hell too. My mum can never speak nicely to anyone. She always snaps and shouts. She scares all my friends. She even scares me sometimes...think she is nuts! I generally try and keep away from my parents as much as possible to avoid all the crap.

Is it the menopause or something? She keeps trying to get Dad to hate her and she gets infuriated when he doesn't. He just fucks off down the pub.
  • Options
    Families are harsh! Perhaps it is in your case :) In mine its most definately something else! I think shes just messed up in the head. My dad is a bit too. The most ridiculous thing is the way they always contradict themselves. Its just shite that we have to live with i guess.
  • Options
    yes, it never seems like i can do anything right... i was asked to do a few jobs, cleaning, ironing etc... i had only just started doing the ironing at 3pm when she came home. she just started going off at me. bitch.

me? am leaving a week sunday never to return. and y'know i'm happier.
  • Options
    My house can be hell. Not always, it used to be about 50/50 and now it's more like 80/20 hell/normal. I think my mum's going through the menopause and my dad is also stressed at work - he barely comes home and when he does he still doesn't tune out of the 'work' frame of mind so he can be really rude to my mum, and she has an awful temper so... we have some pretty explosive family rows.

All I can say is you're not alone :) it's something you've gotta deal with, most families do. How old are you? I'm 17, leaving for university in October so I'm hoping that'll give the family a bit of space and make for a better relationship.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Simbelyne, hope the situation improves! My parents used to argue a LOT but they've calmed down now. Most fights in my family come from my sister and my dad and usually they start over something really small and then escalate. Both my dad and my sister have obsessive compulsive disorder and suffer from depression, so they can be handfuls sometimes. My sister and I bicker a lot too but it just gets worse when my parents start yelling at us to stop and then it turns into some whole family row. But I suppose if my parents were fighting, I'd be the same. And no one wanted to know any of that. Oh well, we're all sharing problems anyway.
  • Options
    I know how you feel. When my parents marriage broke up we were on a family holiday in Butlin's designed to try and bring the family back together - my mum knew some stuff about my dad not being interested in their marriage and I knew what he'd been up to and why and we both fitted the jigsaw together. This led to an almighty row and cold and bitter behaviour between them - culminating in my sister coming back to our chalet crying and I went over there and told them both that they'd made her cry which led to us putting on a piece of performance art with my mum shouting and screaming at my dad as we walked back to the chalet with all these people looking at us and laughing like it was some big joke. Then we tried to stick out the holiday but none of us could take it being around all these happy families while ours was collapsing so we came home. Then it got really bad, my dad would go out to clubs or whatever every night stinking the house out with his aftershave, he refused to discuss it with us and just shut himself off from us. My mum would go through his little black book and his internet files trying to find stuff that we could use in court if it got messy - and it looked like getting messy because he was basically saying he wouldn't give my mum anything. Anyway all this time he was living with us for "the sake of the children" and because it was cheaper than running two places - anyway one day me and my dad had a massive row and he said things to me that he'd never said before and then he couldn't stay and so he's moved out and now we're happier and more settled, yes money's tighter but we have more self-respect and feel a lot better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kally
    I don't mean this to sound the way it will..
    But be thankfull you have parents and talk it out

I am thankful for all the stuff i put at the start of my thread. My lifestyles incredibly priveleged and i love it that way but i just hate the atmosphere in my house.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    My brothers are alright because they have friends nearby they can escape to but most of my friends live in brighton and its not easy to get there so i'm stuck in this house with my parents
    Maximus, I live like 2 mins from you, and you can stay at my house if you want.