Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

FAO moderators

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Stemming off from *ahem* kiezos thread, couldnt you do something with the ratings system that never gets used, so people with slower connections know which threads will be more interesting? just a thought.

Comments

• Options
    But we've all got different opinions, someone may vote a thread good and others vote it bad, we're all different!
  • Options
    just dont bother with posts saying "FAO" "Look at This!!" or "Whats your favorite.." or any posts which have more than one "!" or "?" or both, or any of the 10 new threads which Chaos feels compelled to make every night.

i cant remember the last time i created a thread.... it wasnt this year i know that :eek2:
  • Options
    In theory - good idea.

In practice, everyone votes their own threads 5.
  • Options
    DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    As said above, the rating system isn't used so there's not a lot we can do about that.
  • Options
    And then you've got the threads that start off as a good discussion, then degenerate into "OMG YOU'RE SO FUNNY :lol::lol::lol:".
  • Options
    Originally posted by Black Hole Sun
    just dont bother with posts saying "FAO" "Look at This!!" or "Whats your favorite.." or any posts which have more than one "!" or "?" or both, or any of the 10 new threads which Chaos feels compelled to make every night.

i cant remember the last time i created a thread.... it wasnt this year i know that :eek2:

Lol sorry but for some reason everything you said made me laugh :crazyeyes
  • Options
    A good idea, but as aforementioned, everyone has different opinions and thus what is deemed excellent to one person might be considered terrible by another. This demonstrates that this board will never ever be everything to everyone, hence we should all accept this and proceed regardless.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Lol sorry but for some reason everything you said made me laugh :crazyeyes
    And then you've got the threads that start off as a good discussion, then degenerate into "OMG YOU'RE SO FUNNY :lol::lol::lol: ".

heh :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Black Hole Sun
    heh :)

I saw!

I agree with Mobily, I think we all just have to accept that there are going to be things about this board that some of us don't like and some of us do. It's the same as life. You can't please everyone. That's not to say that one should be allowed to post complete rubbish, but I think we all need to chill out and be more accepting.
  • Options
    ah yes, but you could rate the threads according to their seriousness, and amount of real sense they have to them?

ah well, i guess putting theory into practice wont work...

*runs off scheming more plans*
  • Options
    Originally posted by duffy_2k
    ah yes, but you could rate the threads according to their seriousness, and amount of real sense they have to them?

ah well, i guess putting theory into practice wont work...

*runs off scheming more plans*

But again, that relies on everyone having exactly the same views and opinions. For instance, someone might consider nudism to be very serious, whereas someone else might deem it to be extremely funny - no one is the same and thus no set standard is likely to work unless you have the absolute support of most people. But is that likely to occur? Probably not.

I think the moderators, as the governing body, should do more, for they are the ultimate power.
  • Options
    who gives a fuck anyway

give me a banana
  • Options
    hmm yes, but i think we all have similar standards in how important things are and whether they have general relevance?

e.g a debate into whether the sexual age of consent should be lowered is not going to be seen as unimportant really is it, where as someone posting about whether strawberry or blacurrant jam is better is going to be all round seen as trivial and unimportant?

it works out in my head... lol
  • Options
    hmm yes, but i think we all have similar standards in how important things are and whether they have general relevance?

e.g a debate into whether the sexual age of consent should be lowered is not going to be seen as unimportant really is it, where as someone posting about whether strawberry or blacurrant jam is better is going to be all round seen as trivial and unimportant?

it works out in my head... lol

Actually the latter seems to be life and death to some posters, you'd be surprised :rolleyes:. I'm not going to mention names.
  • Options
    a debate into whether the sexual age of consent should be lowered is not going to be seen as unimportant really is it, where as someone posting about whether strawberry or blacurrant jam is better is going to be all round seen as trivial and unimportant?

I quite agree. But the fundamental question is how those beliefs would be enforced without great effort from those in power - i.e. the moderators. In my opinion it won't be successfully enforced without their assistance, and consequently any attempts to try to without their help will result in anarcy, as illustrated by the thread last night. What did that achieve? Sweet F.A.

I agree that it would be good if we could all be totally happy and do everything ourselves without annoyingly inconsequencial posts, but that is idealistic and thus unrealistic.

The only likely way of effectively changing these boards is if the moderators take much more of a role, but even that would be to the detriment of many people.

Nothing's perfect, and to think that this website will be everything to everyone is absolutely ludicrous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    And then you've got the threads that start off as a good discussion, then degenerate into "OMG YOU'RE SO FUNNY :lol::lol::lol:".
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    I quite agree. But the fundamental question is how those beliefs would be enforced without great effort from those in power - i.e. the moderators. In my opinion it won't be successfully enforced without their assistance, and consequently any attempts to try to without their help will result in anarcy, as illustrated by the thread last night. What did that achieve? Sweet F.A.

So I sincerely believe that the moderators should be the reponsible body - not the members themselves.
    But the fundamental question is how those beliefs would be enforced without great effort from those in power - i.e. the moderators.
    ah yes, but dont you think it would be quite easy for the members to use common sense and decide how important they think a thread would be to them if they were on a slower connection. I believe this would be a little less selfish than simply saying "i cant be bothered as it works fine for ME".
    consequently any attempts to try to without their help will result in anarcy

first mr spelling man (:p) its "Anarchy" [learnt from hours of reading the anarchists cook book :p] and second, i dont think it would be that drastic... :p
  • Options
    kiezo

not very many threads ive seen do that.... point me a couple out?
  • Options
    "Anarchy"

lol. Damn. lol.

Yes, in theory it would be excellent if everyone always used their commen sense, both here and in life in general. But will they? Hell no. And will they do if it you tell them? Nope.

The only people here with absolute power are the moderators.

Going out now. :)
  • Options
    i think the more regular posters would, and theres far more of us than newbies.
  • Options
    hmm the only person who agreed with me deleted their post...
    ill keep your name secret lacy, but you know who you are!!!!

oops :p
  • Options
    i think the more regular posters would, and theres far more of us than newbies.

Do you not think comments like this actually cause a divide?
  • Options
    hmm the only person who agreed with me deleted their post...
    ill keep your name secret lacy, but you know who you are!!!!

oops :p

Nothing personal. Im deleting most of my posts.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Do you not think comments like this actually cause a divide?

not at all. I consider comments such as "weve been here longer so we are regulars" as causing a divide. I consider anyone who visits these boards quite regularily a regular. But the fact is, you quite often get people new to the boards posting silly things etc, in an attempt to stir up trouble, and this usually leaves when they become more regular.
  • Options
    duffy I wasnt meaning only you but *newbies* does seem to crop up a lot here, so what happens is this community feeling that Lacy was talking about in her thread is basically thrown out of the window.
    If it was phrased something along the lines of *our newer members* instead of *newbies this or newbies that*.

I dont know, im just thinking of ways to try and get everyone back to being happy, cheerful and being the nice place that it is here :)
  • Options
    here we go again. now your asking for censorship and control and power to be weilded over us to an ever greater degree. some of you believe there have always been cameras watching our every move in the street i'm sure. well let me tell you ...when i was a lad shoplifting was dead easy.
    a simple question; do the people who do the most fucking moaning about newbies and pointless threads realy believe that they themselves are superior in some respect with what they have to say ? come on own up. and why the frigg should anything goes!!!!! be serious?
  • Options
    *offers everyone peace pie*
  • Options
    if i had hair i'd pull it out!! the place never stops changing. you got something better than that?
  • Options
    do you people bitch this much in real life too?
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    do you people bitch this much in real life too?

This is a debating thread......the bickering starts later :p:D