Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

are you afraid of death?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry to be morbid but my sister was talking to me about death and I really get frightened when i think about it all it sends an adrenaline rush right through me. Does anyone else feel like me? and what do you think about to stop yourself from thinking about it?

Comments

• Options
    As sang by Mr Robbie Williams....."I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to " :yes:
  • Options
    nahhhh, long as it doesn't hurt.

:)
  • Options
    im absolutly terrified,i never ever want to die
  • Options
    i used to think i wasnt but i dont think i'd thought about it enough. it petrifies me, there is so much i want to do before it happens!:eek:
  • Options
    Death doesn;t scare me but the thought of fate deciding when i die does. hence why i wana die from suicide.and i will.sadly soon maybe.nevermind as they say "life is what you make of it"
    xxx
  • Options
    should we be afraid of death?
    personally no. i'll embrace the long night when my time is up, but if it wants to take me before i feel it's my time, i'll put up one hell of a fight :D
  • Options
    no fear whatsoever. It has happened to so many people. I have no religion and think we will basically turn back to whatever matter we came from. And i have a slight belief in reincarnation... so it doesnt bother me.
  • Options
    Not really no, as long as no pain is involved
  • Options
    i've read the watchtower so i'm going to live forever.
  • Options
    Re: are you afraid of death?

We're all gonna die so why be afraid?
  • Options
    Death has no particular relevance. Pain invokes fear.
  • Options
    Re: Re: are you afraid of death?
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    We're all gonna die so why be afraid?

True we are all gonna die, but for someone suffering a long, painful death then I can imagine how frightened Id be. If I just died then yeah thats got to be better :)
  • Options
    I'm not afraid of dying, Im just scared of what happens when we are dead.
  • Options
    Too fucking right I'm afraid of death. If there is something after dying I wanna know what it is, and if there isn't I don't wanna *not* exist (although it could do us all some good :))
  • Options
    Why be afraid of somethin you sometimes dream of...?
  • Options
    Im not afraid of deing once I get to do so many more things before I do!
    I want to be remembered- or to go out in style!
    If you could choose your means of death what would it be?

Mine would be a cross between dieing saving someones life-
    Or by having sex with so many women and dieing of heart failure at least i'll go happy!
  • Options
    No not afraid of death.

Just afraid of dying too soon.
  • Options
    Although several of my family members have died, I have never really given death a big thought, and accordingly I am not scared of it. I don’t know why this, but it might be partially explained by my liking a poem that suggests that death is not ‘the end’ but rather those that have died are continuously present in many different forms.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glint on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
    I am the swift, uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circling flight.
    I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    (Do not stand at my grave and cry.
    I am not there, I did not die.

I just wish that I could have read that poem whilst at the funerals of my dearly loved relations.

Jacaranda – I know how upset you were about this experience, so please realise that I am always willing to listen to you should you ever need to talk about it.
  • Options
    The thought of never being alive again scares me, yes
  • Options
    No. It'd be a bit weird for a girl who has tried to kill herself to be afraid of death, wouldn't it?

:eek2:
  • Options
    I love that poem. It makes death seem less terrifying.

Although actually I'm not very scared of dying - I mean I obviously don't want to die too young!, but I think it's one of those things like infinite and nothing - you can't imagine life just ending. Full stop. Nothing left. At. All.

It just doesn't work, and no one really knows what happens when you die so it's hard to imagine, therefore I'm not that scared because I can't grasp the enormity of it. I don't spend much time worrying about dying anyway.
  • Options
    I hope that I get to the stage when I'm old where I can say 'yes I've had a good life, I've done all the things I wanted to, I've made the most of it so I'm satisfied and happy to die now.'
  • Options
    I'm terrified of the people around me dying. The thought of my family and adam dying is so scary, I hate it think I've got a fear of it. I got a fear of being murdered as well, awful :(
  • Options
    a lot of people seem to be afraid of death. even more seem to be afraid of living ...
  • Options
    Death is what depresses me. I have to take Natracalms because otherwise it would be all I'd think about. So many of my loved ones have died, that I have just associated it with not existing, and fear, and grief.

I am afraid when I think of it as not existing; especially when I think of none of the people I know and love not existing any more. If we don't exist after death, life is meaningless because eventually all of your life is lost and isn't recovered or remembered. I am afraid when atheists go on and on about there being no God or afterlife.

Which is why i like to think that there is life after death and why I am a catholic. Now I am not afraid of death and I look forward to being with all who I have lost again. When I think there is life after death, and remember all the proof for it I am happy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    i wana die from suicide.and i will.sadly soon maybe.nevermind as they say "life is what you make of it"
    xxx

life is what you make it, and for all we know we only get one chance at it, so make it worth while. I know what you're talking about, i've been there many a times before, and ended up in hospital for it and its scary when you're there. It only takes realisation, and you're living your worst nightmare. But as Faith said, i've realised now...

"Im not scared of dying, I just dont want to"
  • Options
    Im not scared of death, when your gone your gone and I personally dont believe in any after life etc so I wont know im dead. Im just scared of the way im gona die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, i dont want to be murdered or die of a nasty disease. If I had a terminal illness and I was in severe pain and I couldnt do much id defo commint euthanasia.(if thats how u spell it?)
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    Im not scared of death, when your gone your gone and I personally dont believe in any after life etc so I wont know im dead. Im just scared of the way im gona die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, i dont want to be murdered or die of a nasty disease. If I had a terminal illness and I was in severe pain and I couldnt do much id defo commint euthanasia.(if thats how u spell it?)

Yes that's how you spell it but you can't "commint" euthanasia. Do you mean suicide, or do you mean you want someone to assist you in dying?

Sorry just I would like to understand better!
    x
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Yes that's how you spell it but you can't "commint" euthanasia. Do you mean suicide, or do you mean you want someone to assist you in dying?

Sorry just I would like to understand better!
    x

I would commit suicide defo but thinking about it now It would be hard for me to get someone to help me as I would feel guilty and not think it fair to ask them of that. I suppose it depends on how much pain im in. I think I could help someone do it. a member of my family died recently and that wasnt a nice experience but it wasnt dragged out for long. I think if it had gone on for months and months and she didnt want to live I would help her.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    I would commit suicide defo but thinking about it now It would be hard for me to get someone to help me as I would feel guilty and not think it fair to ask them of that. I suppose it depends on how much pain im in. I think I could help someone do it. a member of my family died recently and that wasnt a nice experience but it wasnt dragged out for long. I think if it had gone on for months and months and she didnt want to live I would help her.

Oh cool, I understand now :) but personally I want to live as long as possible, unless all my family and friends have gone and I've lost the will to live.