Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Single parent women and sentences - the same as males?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think that a woman, as a single parent, should receive the same custodial sentence as a man for the same crime committed under the same circumstances? Or do you think that the woman's parental responsibilities are equally – or perhaps more – important, and thus she should receive a lesser custodial sentence?

Please try to justify your reasons instead of merely saying 'she should receive the same sentence' or something similar. Why should she? What can you put forward to underpin your argument?

Let's try to keep this civil, eh?

Comments

• Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    It depends on how mad you are about the whole equal rights thing.. I personally believe that men and women are as equal as they can be, so any punishment recieved should be as equal between them as any reward that they might recieve should be..

Though I bet that some could argue about lesser sentencing due to emotional ties or something like that..

(hasn't got a clue what he's on about :p)
  • Options
    IF YOU CANT DO THE TIME THEN DON'T DO THE CRIME BASICALLY!

However, I guess when there are kids involved then the person making the judgement has to consider the wider effect a long custodial sentence my have on the kids.

If you are a single mother or a single father (ie, the sole carer for your child) and you have commited a crime then the Judge etc should have to look at the welfare of the child if the parent is a) sent to prison or b) allowed out early to possibly break the law again.
  • Options
    I think it depends on a lot more circumstances than whether someone has children or not. more should be done to stop minor crimes having a custodial sentance attached anyway. If it was a more serious crime then thats different as the person wouldnt have been thinking of their children when commiting the crime, but a lot of effort should be made to prevent the children from going into care, as that would highly increase the risk of the crime cycle repeating itself.
  • Options
    But if single parents received lesser sentences than someone without children/with a partner, and they knew it, wouldnt that possibly encourage more crime cos people would think that they could do it and be out in 18 months?
  • Options
    they wanted equal rights...

that's all i'm saying.
  • Options
    im totally 'equal rights' and all that, and so if a woman murdered someone, she should get the same punishment as man would, regardless of whether she had children or not (and vice versa). However, if it was petty crime, say - due to lack of funds to buy nappies, or food, something needs to be looked at there. But again, id say the same if it was a man stealing nappies for his child... so its not really a question of the gender of the person, but rather the crime and reasoning behind the crime.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    But if single parents received lesser sentences than someone without children/with a partner, and they knew it, wouldnt that possibly encourage more crime cos people would think that they could do it and be out in 18 months?
    it wouldnt encourage me!
    most people dont have a criminal mentality, but i think every case should be judged according to individual circumstances. Unfortunatly you get a lot of people in prisons for things like non payment of council tax or TV licence and stupid things, and yes i think it is bad if someone is taken away from their children for something crap like that to do with someone not being able to afford something.
    On the other hand, of someone had gone out and purposly commited a proper burglary, or hurt someone for no reason, then the fact that they had children, shouldntr mean they get away with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I think it depends on a lot more circumstances than whether someone has children or not. more should be done to stop minor crimes having a custodial sentance attached anyway. If it was a more serious crime then thats different as the person wouldnt have been thinking of their children when commiting the crime, but a lot of effort should be made to prevent the children from going into care, as that would highly increase the risk of the crime cycle repeating itself.

What she said :yes:
  • Options
    I think it depends on the crime, how many times they have offended, different circumstances should be taken into account.

If a single mother was a constant offender and all other avenues had been tried then they should be sentenced the same as someone without children. I cant see why they should have special treatment, after all they did the crime they should do the time.

The childrens welfare should be one of the main priorities here, so if we have a single Mother/Father who was doing crimes serious enough for a custodial sentence then to be honest id be worried wether the life of crime would then go onto the next generation, children learn by what they see so that would worry me if they were constant offenders, but as i said it does depend on the crime :)