Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Drinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey there,

im 16 years old,most of my friends drink, but i dont want too yet,
most of them say i should and have a go at me but i dont think this is fair as it is my choice.
i would like to hear some other peoples views on this topic.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When i was 16 i used to drink. I dont think I was ever "drunk" but i would have the odd one at a party and stuff. But every one is different. Im now 18 and have friends who dont drink, refuse to some to the pub or go out into town etc. I wont say i understand them, but i do accept that thats what they want and so dont put any pressure on them to come out if they really dont want to.

I think you have a very mature outlook on it all, only drink when you want to, not because your friends want you to!
    Try it once. If you don't like it cool, but if you do then also cool.
    Don't knock something you haven't tried!
    I don't drink, unless i'm with people. Even then i don't drink alot, bc they cost too much.

If you don't want to drink for whatever reason, that should be fine.
    Is there a particular reason you don't want to drink? If you've never drunk then why not try just the once like Symbeline (sp?) said, but tbh your friends are being silly - it's your choice alone. If you've made it clear to them taht you don't want to drink then they should leave you alone.
    That's cool - don't let people pressurise you into anything. Take your time, it's up to you what and when you drink. I don't drink mostly because I never found anything I like, and no one cares because it's just part of what makes me... well, me!
    :thumb:
    Picc.
    x
    i don't drink. i'm 22 and a lot of people are all 'at your age you should be pissed every night'...

yeah. gotta love paying money to throw up and forget whether or not you had a good time.

:rolleyes:

if you don't like it, don't do it. and don't let anyone pressure you into doing ANYTHING you don't want to. you've got your whole life to try stuff out.
    Where I live you are not legally aloud to drink until you are 21, but I still drank a lot while I was a teen, used to steal it from my older half-brother, and used to drink all the time and now since I am on legal drinking age, the age of 21, I have been drinking way too much, but don't take my advice.

Just do what you feel is the most comfortable and please try not to be pressured into drinking because it really isn't worth it. Please just take into consideration the affect that it might have on you in the long run and only do what you feel is right.

MySuffice21
    I myself rarely drink and if I do I will usually just have one glass. I have drank up to three glasses before and not got drunk. I really don't see the point of drinking and certainly dont want to get drunk. Most of my friends will get drunk regularly say every time we go out clubbing. But I'd prefer to see others make complete fools of themselves whilst they are on a high from consuming alcohol.
    I have a bit of a love hate relationship with booze, I do very much enjoy a beer now and then but I have a bad habit of going over board when I'm with my mates and getting ill.

As others have said if you dont want to then dont. I'm not sure that I prescribe to the theory that you should try it to see if you like it, if you apply that accross the board then we should all be smoking rocks once.
    Weigh up the pluses and the negatives and then decide. its your body and you alone should decide what goes in it.
    Originally posted by Simbelyne

cheers for ur comment, but i do drink the odd few cans at parties but i jst dont get drunk.
    :)
    Mj.
    I'm seventeen and I don't drink. Sadly the reason is that I haven't found anything I can imagine myself drinking. ;) I'd like to try though because supposedly you get less shy and that's exactly what I need. :p
    I would just reiterate everyone's advice on here - do what YOU feel like - yes, it can be difficult, but don't let anyone force you to do something that you don't want. Try it when you want, and don't be pressurised by stereotypes.

and fafnir, I wouldn't recommend drinking purely to gain confidence - that normally doesn't have the best results. Yes, you may be less shy, but you're also not being yourself, and may regret it later.
    Originally posted by openup
    and fafnir, I wouldn't recommend drinking purely to gain confidence - that normally doesn't have the best results. Yes, you may be less shy, but you're also not being yourself, and may regret it later.

Yeah.. I've thought about that.. I've got a lot of anti-socialness going on that I know I've got to fix myself. Hocus Pocus solutions haven't worked for me so far.. but in theory it sounds nice to drink and "open up".. ;)
    Originally posted by Simbelyne

That's a shit example.

In the end you'll always feel better when you've had fun just cause of the occasion, people, mood rather than because of some drinks.
    When you want to drink then drink. Dont let anyone pressure you into it. It is completely your own choice if you do or not!