Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Male bosses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this should be in careers, but let's face it...no-one ever ventures in there.

I started a new job recently, and as you all know I have an ickle baby. Well, my new manager is a man and he is the most obnoxious arsehole I've ever met in my life. He is putting pressure on me to do overtime I don't want to do, I was late once since I started (bubba puked on me as I was ready to leave and I had to change). Since then, he has gone on about it constantly. I tried to reason with him that I need a li'l bit of leeway every now and again, as shit like this does happen, but he really didn't wanna know.

Yesterday, the baby was ill (conjunctivitis) so I asked if it was ok to make a very quick phone call. he asked what for and I explained that the baby was ill, but as I didn't make regular personal phone calls, I was a bit put out at him asking personal details.

Later in the day I was still angry, so I brought the subject up. i explained that I'm not some silly wee girl wanting to abuse the company phone and I felt that having extended the courtesy to ask if I could make a quick call, (which btw, no-one else does)then he could extend the courtesy of not prying into my personal life. Well he had a flaky to end all flakies and I just don't wnt to go back.

I'm a clever girl and can't get a full time job which will fulfil my potential because of the baby, so I'm stuck in this job, working with a prick whos job I could do standing on my head. I'm so pissed off and basically just wanted a rant.

This is my first real experience of working for a male boss and I just dont like it.

Comments

• Options
    men can be like that... especially if you're younger and he knows you have a child, he'snprobably agianst teenage pregancy and that is taking it all out on you. And he's probably just a general wanker as it is.

You need to start to look for a new job... i know how hard it is, i have a little 'un too... but he cant treat you like that and whilst he's there you wont be happy. If there's somethingspecific he has said you can get him done for discrimination... and ther's a new law come in about working parents... you should check up on that.

Juts try and have as little communication with him as possible, i know this is hard cuz he's your boss... but as soon as you find a new things should hopefully be a bit easier and you can tell him to shove his attitude problem up his arse. Tosser.
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    men can be like that... especially if you're younger and he knows you have a child, he'snprobably agianst teenage pregancy and that is taking it all out on you. And he's probably just a general wanker as it is.

lol

I'm 24!!!
  • Options
    Grrrrr
    I hate male bosses too!
    Mine is a right dickhead...whenever I have to leave to take my lil'un to the docs or pick her up early or whatever he tuts at me! :mad:

I had a right fracas trying to get a job in the first place and i'm sure it was because of the teenage mother stigma
  • Options
    He seems like a cunt.
  • Options
    mmmm...check your contract. I don't think anyone can make you do overtime unless it's in the contract.

He knew you had a child when he employed you - right?

Any good boss or company should be aware of employment law and I'm sure that there is a law now, that allows parents a certain amount of 'child sickness days' above and beyond your annual holiday entitlement, and part time workers should be allowed this too.

So long as you prove to him while you are there that you are a good worker who can get the job done then he shouldn't really be allowed to penalise you for your childcare needs.

Is it a big company? bigger companies tend to treat parents better, I've found. (I don't have kids but I work with plenty of people who do).

Perhaps you could make it clear to him that you are prepared to make the time up when you need to leave in an emergency?

My advice would be to try to arrive and leave on time, work hard when you are there and talk to someone in personnel about your working rights. Try not to act like this job is beneath you though, be enthusiastic because by acting like you think he is a cunt you will be reinforcing his idea that you are just a liability.

If this fails then try to find another job. However, as a manager I would hope that he has some idea about how to manage people and to appreciate their work/life balance.

when speaking to him reamain calm and use words like 'I understand that my leaving early was a slight inconvenience but I do have to be a good parent too and I am sure you can see that this is also an important role in my life' this way you are being firm but showing him that you appreciate your role in the business is needed.

What do you do by the way?