Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

food groups and muscle gain

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey there ladies and gents

I've come acrosss a lot of contradictoary and diverse opinion and advice on the net, in books, down the gym etc on this subkect and its really fraustrating.

A lot of bodybuilders/fitness enthusiasts etc say that the best way to gain muscle is by eating mostly protein, and lots of it.

Then others say that this is a myth and you don't need to...

Then others say you need to eat less protein than if you wern't trying to gain...

:confused:

Can anyone set me straight on this? :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Lifting weights breaks muscle fibers.

Muscles are built when the broken fibers are repaired by your body. You need protein to do this, or an incredibly well planned diet (vegans can do it as well, they have to carefully consider everything they take in)

You need a certain amount of protein to rebuild muscle. The big question is exactly how much to take in. The US goverment recommended allowance for an average male is about 50 grams a day, certain body building experts claim you need 1 gram per pound of body weight. I split the difference ( I weigh about 170-80 depending) and shoot for about 100 grams a day.

Eating protein without lifting, and lifting to build mass specifically isn't going to do very much good, of course. Eating excessive amounts isn't going to help speed thigns up either, and can lead to health problems, like gout and kidney stones.
  • Options
    You need about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight for your muscles to grow...

The US government guidelines are not for people who are trying to bodybuild!

check this article out if you want to learn more:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com

Click on the nutrition tab at the top, then go to the "24 mass diet"
  • Options
    Basically threy right -you need protein if your lifting.

What I do, is try and eat small meals - about 5ish. Each meal should have about 20g of protein. If you cant manage 5, go for three, but eat no more than about 40g of protein - above this, your body doesnt use it efficiently.

You also need to be eating carbs, as these provide you with the slow release of energy you need to life weights. I would eat protein to carbs in the ratio of about 4:3 or possibly 3:2

I do use protein drinks - these contain about 40g of protein and 20g of carbs - the carbs help you recover between workouts. The brand I use is protoplex, which come in convenient satchets.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sanj33v
    Basically threy right -you need protein if your lifting.

What I do, is try and eat small meals - about 5ish. Each meal should have about 20g of protein. If you cant manage 5, go for three, but eat no more than about 40g of protein - above this, your body doesnt use it efficiently.

You also need to be eating carbs, as these provide you with the slow release of energy you need to life weights. I would eat protein to carbs in the ratio of about 4:3 or possibly 3:2

I do use protein drinks - these contain about 40g of protein and 20g of carbs - the carbs help you recover between workouts. The brand I use is protoplex, which come in convenient satchets.

Very useful, thanks mate...

I've definately been eating too much protein, and I've self-diagnosed a pain "down there" as either a hernia (from enthusiastic crunches :blush:) or kidney stones from this excess of protein...:(