Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Essay - help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need some help. I've been given this essay 'Britain is and has always been a nation of immigrants. what is the evidence for this view?' Im not sure what to write really. At the moment i could probably write a couple of lines, and thats about it, and seeing as its an essay thats obviously not enough! It doesnt ave to be really long, just long enough. Ive done a search on the internet and just got a load of crap :rolleyes:
Any ideas/help?
Cheers :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Essay - help

Simple question. Need to weigh up the arguments that support and undermines whether Britain has always been a nation of immigrants. So find parties, newspaper/mag articles etc that are in favour of them and against them. Your conclusion can weigh up both sides and make a rational decision as to whether Britain has been based upon the evidence. I.e 'XYZ suggests ABC yet DEF suggests VWZ. Based on this, it could be argued that.....'

You need to consider it from an historical angle AND a modern angle - don't do it just from one. So perhaps split up the middle of your essay accordingly and remember to have a linking sentence that merges both sections neatly and properly without it being curt.

Don't forget that all essays have a beginning (intro - ie. 'it is commonly accepted that... etc), middle (evidence) and end (concl. take a couple of key factors already mentioned and draw conclusions about whether Britain has been based on that. Could also bring in your opinions, but keep this brief).
    Cheers :) I can do all the introduction, explanation, conclusion etc, im just a bit stuck on the main points of what to write.
    Romans, Vikings, the French, etc. They've all invaded us at one time or another, as have a few other countries. Then there's our great royal family, currently a right mixture of German, Greek, and whatever else. Of course, we've done our own bit of invading, taken over countries, and often their inhabitants have emigrated here too.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Well what does 'immigrants' mean? It means people that have moved here. So look up whether people from former British colonies have moved here over the years (historical) and then talk about asylum seeks for nowadays. Look for newspaper articles, perhaps go into your local library, government statistics, parties for/against asylum seekers, etc. Loads of info :)
    Re: Re: Essay - help
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    Simple question. Need to weigh up the arguments that support and undermines whether Britain has always been a nation of immigrants. So find parties, newspaper/mag articles etc that are in favour of them and against them. Your conclusion can weigh up both sides and make a rational decision as to whether Britain has been based upon the evidence. I.e 'XYZ suggests ABC yet DEF suggests VWZ. Based on this, it could be argued that.....'

You need to consider it from an historical angleAND a modern angle - don't do it just from one. So perhaps split up the middle of your evidence accordingly and remember to have a linking sentence that merges both sections neatly and properly without it being curt.

Don't forget that all essays have a beginning (intro - ie. 'it is commonly accepted that... etc), middle (evidence) and end (concl. take a couple of key factors already mentioned and draw conclusions about whether Britain has been based on that).

Yes what Mr Mobily says. :p

It might also be interesting to make a few comparisions to the immigration system of America in the early 20th century, seens as the country is (well was) well known for willingly accepting so many different people with so many different cultures, maybe mentioning how the people are so America are so varied because of "Americas" own choice and allowing them in, where as in Britain the "immigrants" of the past were countless invaders from God knows how many different countries settling here. Although I guess you're not really meant to go into that making my suggesting pretty pointless. Ah well.
    Cheers you 3 :) I'm gonna get started on it now, got the basics of what to write, just need to drag it out and make it longer! no doubt i'll be back later though...!

*edited to add, you 3*
    Re: Re: Re: Essay - help
    Originally posted by Shukes
    Yes what Mr Mobily says. :p

It might also be interesting to make a few comparisions to the immigration system of America in the early 20th century, seens as the country is (well was) well known for willingly accepting so many different people with so many different cultures, maybe mentioning how the people are so America are so varied because of "Americas" own choice and allowing them in, where as in Britain the "immigrants" of the past were countless invaders from God knows how many different countries settling here. Although I guess you're not really meant to go into that making my suggesting pretty pointless. Ah well.

Hmmm... the essay is only asking her to talk about Britain, so IF you mentioned America do it very briefly - a sentence or two to show, for instance, whether something in Britain was good or bad, or big or small (i.e. 'Britain had XYZ... this seems a lot compared to...'). This might impress the examiner by showing a breadth of research but MENTION IF VERY BRIEFLY! If you don't, else you'll get a big red cross and no marks for it for being irrelevant. :)
    I had to talk in french about immigrants in my A2 oral but I've forgotten about it all now so I'm sorry to be not much help.
    It seems strange to give us this essay though, as we havent covered any lessons on immigration. I mean i know what it is, but anyway...thats what you lot are here for :D
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    It seems strange to give us this essay though, as we havent covered any lessons on immigration. I mean i know what it is, but anyway...thats what you lot are here for :D

:lol:

Well, just research it and get an A* for it. Shouldn't be that difficult assuming you put in a lot of effort, research it fully and produce a coherent essay that is filled with eloquent, succinct and gramatically correct writing, etc. Always remember that they're looking at your ability to effectively argue different points and to reach an informed decision based on the evidence. Well, that's the case for A Level and above anyway.

Hey, I'll do it for you, for I'm getting withdrawal symptoms! ;) OK, I won't, but I'll happily proof read it for you (essays/coursework should be proof read at least twice).

I so can't wait to return to uni in Sept. It's just a shame it's so far away... :D