Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

R.I.P 3 and a half inch floppies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They're going the way of the dinosaur according to Dell. :crying:

I'm really gonna miss em! I can still remember the old 5 and a half floppies! :lol:

Comments

• Options
    5 and a half inch? I didn't know such a thing ever existed........:confused: How young and naive i am :D
  • Options
    5 and a quarter.
  • Options
    I don't have a floppy drive. Haven't had one since summer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    5 and a quarter.

Well spotted! :p
  • Options
    heh heh!

I used to remember the old tape-drive system on my Spectrum! haha!!

They aren't just going to be replaced by CD-Ws however. Nah...there's also the USB memory sticks that have flooded into the pockets of my college campus!
  • Options
    minidiscs are the future but nobody (apart from the writers of the Matrix film and a few sole researchers at various computer depts) sees this, they're tiny and you can get about 130mb of stuff on them making them perfect, then they're in their own little protective cases............

just perfect but no one wants to see it! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    USB sticks rock. We've got them at work and real handy. Much better than a floppy. For a start it holds 256MB of data. Trying to puch the boss to get us 512MB or even gig sticks!

Floppies are handy though for booting up with. I know you can boot up to CD but seems easier with floppy.

Boot up. Problem. Change file on floppy. Boot up. Problem, etc...

Doing that with a CD would be a royal pain having to reburn after your change.

Of course if we could boot up to the USB sticks.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

Of course if we could boot up to the USB sticks.....

Some motherboards can boot from USB devices. Whether USB sticks count I do not know.
  • Options
    Minidiscs suck big time, they use lossey compression just to store music on. They haven't got the capacity to make them viable alternatives and when you can buy a CD for 30p?! Next big thing is probably blue ray discs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Some motherboards can boot from USB devices. Whether USB sticks count I do not know.

True. Certainly some ofthe newer kit we have here can boot-up to USB. We're currently looking at the following....

PC with NO hard-drive. User comes in, plugs in USB stick and boots up. All data is stored on network drives so only need OS on the sticks. Then people can take the sticks and pretty much log into any PC within the company. Of course we do need to replace all the existing PC's first.
  • Options
    I definately support minidiscs. I think they should be used for much more than music. After all, they can hold a cd's worth of cd quality music. And they are infinitely re-writable.
    They are also so sturdy. I once dropped my whole box of 22 minidiscs out my window by accident. Not one of them was broken and all the music played fine. I also once had them on my floor and trod on 2 (with my 13stone worth of force) and failed to break any.
    God bless minidisc, they have done so much for us
  • Options
    I hardly use mine nowadays. The biggest usage it gets is for transfering small amounts of data, or booting the system when I have problems, or doing an OS install. I also use it to boot from when doing a backup using Ghost.
    I think Dell is a little premature with dropping floppies, but in another 18 months they will be almost completely redundant, especially for most home users.

I still have an old 5 1/4" drive kicking around somewhere, and some disks for it with some old software and games on. :)

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Ill say again for you minidisc lovers the only reason minidisc gets a full CD's worth of music is because it uses a lossy compression technique (i.e. the quality isnt as good) therefore it does not have the same data capacity. Therefore it really isn't much use as data storage they are old and will probably be obsolete soon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bomberman444
    Ill say again for you minidisc lovers the only reason minidisc gets a full CD's worth of music is because it uses a lossy compression technique (i.e. the quality isnt as good) therefore it does not have the same data capacity. Therefore it really isn't much use as data storage they are old and will probably be obsolete soon.

and i'll say it again, have you actually listened to a decent recorded MD? quality is easily the same as a cd...

as for data capacity, 130mb is nothing to be sniffed at considering it's a floppy disc thread which holds a massive 1.44mb. small, virtually indestructible, cheap, rewritable...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I've not got a floppy drive, not had one for years... hardly ever felt left out.

USB sticks are good, but they're still quite expensive...
  • Options
    AGH! Minidisc quality is not the same it jsut isn't noticeable to the human ear and 130Mb is pitiful now. Even CD's are starting to get too small for games and stuff. DVDs are not far from taking over then we get the joy of blue ray discs now they are huge!
  • Options
    AGH! Minidisc quality is not the same it jsut isn't noticeable to the human ear and 130Mb is pitiful now. Even CD's are starting to get too small for games and stuff. DVDs are not far from taking over then we get the joy of blue ray discs now they are huge!

i don't understand what you're moaning about, as a portable alternative to cds, minidiscs are excellent, sound quality (y'know the thing you hear with your ears) is the same as a cd... so it isn't the same EXACTLY, you said yourself the human ear can't even tell the difference...

as for cds being too small for games, well they will be as long as developers keep putting shite FMV on the games instead of actual decent gameplay :rolleyes: ;)

technophile :p
  • Options
    Im moaning not about their capabilites for music storage im moaning at the people who say they are a sensible storage medium for a computer and wondering why they arent as popular as CD-Rom drives. I explain about the music quality as to why the AUDIO wise fit the same as a CD thus explaining the pitiful amount they can store when concerning other forms of data and therefore why they are not commonplace storage media on home computer systems.
  • Options
    yes and i said 130mb is better than 1.44...

better than a floppy disc.

cooler than cds :p
  • Options
    I haven't used a floppy drive/disk for ages. Got a USB memory stick reader, 32mb & 64mb memory sticks a while ago. Dad got em from work cos they stopped using floppy drives a while ago. Then sixth form got loads of new computers s they've all got USB. Don't use them in the house and don't use them at sixth formnow.

Otherwise I just burn stuff onto a cd-rw
  • Options
    Networks.

Far better way of transferring data.

OK, so not everyone has broadband (and to be honest, broadband isn't up to the job as far as serious file transferring goes), when we can get 10meg+ into the house as an internet connection, then file transfer will be improved greatly.

But for those without decent network access, then floppy or LS120 are OK.

Anyone used a Syquest removable HDD?
  • Options
    LS120 now you don't hear of that much...

Suppose it is an improvement on floppy drives but not used that much really. Never even seen one myself just know what they are.
  • Options
    Re: R.I.P 3 and a half inch floppies
    Originally posted by RamnoR
    They're going the way of the dinosaur according to Dell. :crying:

I'm really gonna miss em! I can still remember the old 5 and a half floppies! :lol:

5 and 1/4 actually mate... i can aswell....

They tried a floppy disk revival with LS120 drives... floppy disks that could hold 120 megs of data... but they werent that popular, so they discontinued manufacture. i have one tho :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    yes and i said 130mb is better than 1.44...

better than a floppy disc.

cooler than cds :p

why would you ever want to use MD as data storage, when you can get a CD-RW for £50, and pick up blank disks for <14p each?

its beyond me. OK, its an acceptable(almost)medium for music, but data storage? PAHH! Anyway, mp3 drives are probably better for music these days, - much easier to transfer files from pc to compact flash etc..
  • Options
    LS120's *looks misty eyed with distant memories* :) I came across one of those recently. I was sorting out a workmates old computer, a compaq (which I hate) with a few odd bits in it, including an LS120. I don't even know where to get the disks from nowadays, but there's no point with fast CD-RW drives available nowadays.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    £50 for a CDRW?!

lol youve been had!
  • Options
    Woohoo! Got a memory stick yesterday and from having in for one day, I must say they are tons better than floppies :D
  • Options
    £50 for a CDRW?!

lol youve been had!

ok, i take it back, i didnt do my research...
    lets say <£30??
  • Options
    lol i just realised you meant a CDRW Drive. I thought you meant an actual CDRW as in the disc lol.
  • Options
    The only thing I use floppies for is my PGP keys, since I need to keep them with me and accessable at all times. Everything else goes to my Yahoo Briefcase, or if it's too big, my CD-RW.
    Although I've still got a 5.25" floppy drive and cables, plus disks, that I could set up any time I wanted. Should I ever want 512k on a large, flimsy, unreliable disk.