Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Baghdad Battle Is Won

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
American tanks have reached the centre of Baghdad, effectively bringing to an end Saddam's hold on power.

Journalists at the Palestine Hotel where most of the international media is based watched the tanks roll up and park outside.

"It's an extraordinary sight," said Sky's David Chater, who has been at the hotel for more than eight weeks, "and a very welcome one. We can now say what we feel and what we like."

Chater spoke to the soldiers. One said: "I'd like to say hi to my family. Let them know I'm safe."

Troops took up positions around the
Citizens kept off the street at first but soon came out in numbers.

Soldiers checked for snipers in the area as the odd shot rang out.

Further down the road outside the hotel, Chater watched one group of civilians defacing a huge statue of Saddam Hussein on a roundabout. They climbed onto it and put a rope noose around it.

"It's great being able to get out of that hotel and walk where we want. We can now ask these people what we want.

This is what freedom is all about and what these Marines have fought their way here for," said Chater.

Troops said they had come across a lot of sniper fire.

One said: "It's been a long haul. We've encountered a lot of fire. We've had to be on the alert. Most people have been really friendly and we've had no problems at all.

"After all the small villages we passed on the way, Baghdad is very impressive.

Another Marine told Chater he'd been through every emotion from despair to elation and had even "grieved for his own death". He was amazed to be in Baghdad.

"The Marines mean safety for me," one resident told Chater. "They won't hurt anyone. The people are very happy they are here."

Other civilians gathered around a tank for a souvenir photograph.

One said: "This is liberation after 25 years. This is the best area (in Baghdad) but you don't know what's going on out there."

"Walking around these streets without any minders or government control. A fantastic feeling," said Chater, and he joked: "Like a US marine I'd like a cigarette right now."

there is gonna be nothing to watch on tv now, but its good that the people of iraq can live in freedom

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They aint finished yet!
    Good :)

I think a good job has been done, we could have got it over and done with within about a week if we weren't worried about civillians dying, so we've got it just about right I think :)
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    They aint finished yet!

but the main part is done now, sadam has no power over the people
    Very pleased that it might be nearing the end. But until Saddam and the very important members of his regime are found (either dead or alive), surely there is still the possibility – albeit much smaller – that a chemical or biological attack could occur? Whatever the likelihood of this, rest assured that the civilians will understandably not be wholly content until they are found.
    When is this statue gonna come down? I've been watching them for the past two hours and it still hasn't been pulled down! :lol:
    yeah there is the chance that he could still make a chemical attack but so could bin larden or any other mad man
    Saddam's statue = PWNED*

*for non '1337' speakers, it simply means 'owned' or 'battered'/'dead'/'gone'....

:D
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    Saddam's statue = PWNED*

*for non '1337' speakers, it simply means 'owned' or 'battered'/'dead'/'gone'....

:D

It's about bloody time! :rolleyes:
    Not everyone appreciates the effort done by the yanks and brits.

:rolleyes:
    :lol:
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

:lol:
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

lmao, but why would yanks or brits be using an G3-A2 (isn't it)?

*edited to say i just got out of bed and not fully appreciative of it's humor, so sorry for being pedantic*
    Originally posted by Dreamer3k
    lmao, but why would yanks or brits be using an G3-A2 (isn't it)?

Fucked if I know :rolleyes:
    It was fun to watch
    Was Bit silly of the yanks to put up US flag on that statue

Glad someone with a brain told em to take it down!!:p
    they use different weapons depending on their roles. he doesn't look like a regular (well i dont know what one looks like to be honest but hes not wearing desert combats) so maybe hes MP or something like that?

support? :confused:

anyway I do hate to include my opinions cos a lot of people get angry or whatever, but I was happy to see the statue fall. I don't think the americans should have draped it with their flag, but then again, they're americans :rolleyes:. At the end of the day if you saw the Iraqi people parading at the bottom then it's easy to understand why the Americans and British are there.

Do you think they will get a new flag?
    The scenes in Baghdad today are I think proof that the war has achieved some good. :)