Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Meeting their parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Knocked out by her dad? Did her mum come onto you? Or did they serve up sheep's eyes... share your horror stories of meeting your boy/girlfriend's parents here...

Why? So I can exploit you all and save my brainpower in an article I'm writing of course :)

...and it'll make an interesting thread, honest ;)

Comments

• Options
    I still haven't met my boyfriend's parents! He's 18, I'm 17, he comes round to mine regularly and my parents welcome him, but he hasn't got round to admitting to his folks that he has a girlfriend... we've been together for eight months! I'm beginning to think he's ashamed of me.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    All my ex. girlfriend's parents liked me. Perhaps it was my genteelness or my charm that I turned up to full? :rolleyes:

Seriously, it is not difficult to impress - take them a small present (i.e. a bottle of wine), be friendly and chatty and have a laugh with them. Show that you care about their son/daughter and that your relationship is not a casual, meaningless fling, and you'll be fine. :)

Find out their interests and talk to them about them. For instance, an ex. girlfriend's dad is fascinated by birds. So I asked 'what sort of birds do you get around here?' which sparked a long conversation about them.
  • Options
    Hahaha :D *remembers meeting Paul's parents*

It wasn't planned!! I'll set the scene:

Empty House
    Feeling Horny
    Leather Couch
    Loud noises
    Messy

Door opens & HELLO PAULS MUM & DAD :crazyeyes

Hahaha :)
  • Options
    I don't think it is at all scary to meet a guy's parents. Its like meeting your friends parents. There is nothing to worry over at all.
  • Options
    I don't do parents. Can't hack been around them, I get all paranoid and shy. Not just my GF's parents but my mates aswell. I just make sure they're out before I go round :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    I don't think it is at all scary to meet a guy's parents. Its like meeting your friends parents. There is nothing to worry over at all.

* Doesn't agree *

If my bfriend's parents had very high expectations (they don't . . . . thank God) then of course a girl like me isn't going to get on brilliantly with them. * I am a nice girl though, Honest *

Or religion sometimes comes into it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jacaranda
    There is nothing to worry over at all.

:yes: Just like chatting to anyone else. No need to worry about it - just be yourself (assuming you are friendly etc) and chat normally. Of course there is an emphasis on impressing them, but don't try overly hard, but rather do it discreetly and subtly.
  • Options
    so when do you want to meet mine James?
  • Options
    I still havent met my bf's parents and i have been with him a year and 8 months! He doesnt live with them tho so i do have a kinda excuse. They are very religious tho and dont think we would get on:crazyeyes
  • Options
    I remember meeting my boyfriends family for the first time, his Mum, Dad, brother, sister and 3 dogs. One of the dogs jumped up on me and knocked me flying into the livingroom before my boyf had the chance to introduce me. So there I was on the floor with a large collie licking my face and the other 2 dogs trying to hump my leg, oh the shame :blush:

It was a much calmer meeting when my boyf got introduced to my parents, even though my Mum kept calling him John (which isnt his name!) and my Dad was talking to him about some footie game on the telly and getting into all the tactics and stuff, my boyf is a rugby man and didnt have a clue what he was talking about.

Im glad we only ever had to do that once :)
  • Options
    whenever ive met parents they have liked me and invited me round more often than the girlfriend liked lol. ah well, its just a case of im better "daughter's boyfriend" than "boyfriend" material. if you know what I mean?

I'm always incredibly shy, like they will aask something like this:

"do you want a drink?"
    "i dont mind"
    "well im making one, do you want one"
    "im ok, i dont mind at all"
    "well just say, yes or no, do you want one?"
    "well ok then, if it's no hassle"

i don't know why i just get all sweaty and nervous and i dont want to upset them or anything and i want to make the best impression possible....

but in the end they think it's sweet (i think) and we get along well...
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

"do you want a drink?"
    "i dont mind"
    "well im making one, do you want one"
    "im ok, i dont mind at all"
    "well just say, yes or no, do you want one?"
    "well ok then, if it's no hassle"

:lol: No mate, you should insist on them sitting down and relaxing whilst you make them a drink. ;)
  • Options
    I didn't really have to meet my boyfriend's parents as we've lived next door to one another all our lives.

When we started going out I was very shy around them though because they're so different to my faily - they're open with each other and loud - they swear a lot and they're sometimes over friendly. Nowadays I see his mum as more of a friend than a future mother-in-law!
  • Options
    i hated meeting his parents. one day i just came home and he was all, um... well... my parents want to meet you, though it took like five minutes to come out. first off, i'm not a parent type of girl. even my own scare me. and i was just pissed scared. we had been going out nearly 5 months before i even met them and it was like really ackward because we had nothing to talk about. we had a dinner at their place and it was pretty much silence. but then it didnt' really make it any better though because it was them, him, his brothers and his sister... and me. and it made it even more uncomfortable because his family doesn't get along that well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Nowadays I see his mum as more of a friend than a future mother-in-law!

Brilliant relationship you have then!! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams
    Brilliant relationship you have then!! :D
    Yep! However, for the first three years that we were going out I was ahy and quiet around her. It is only in the last year or so that I have been able to talk more comfortably to her. I think it takes a while to see how the relationship will form. :)