Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Caffine?

How many of you can actualy cope without caffine, because I was thinking I'd like to cut down the amount I use.
I have three mugs of strong coffee in the morning, then 4 or 5 800mg guarana tablets in the afternoon plus a cup of tea later, the problem is that it can make my energy levels really up and down.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How bizarre, do you know, i was just about to ask the opposite. I find i am always lethargic, especially in the mornings, and i dont really get into gear until after lunch. I normally try and have breakfast in the morning, just to get me going, but it never seems to work. I hate the smell of coffee, and am not too keen on tea. what can i do to get my energy levels up? do guarana tablets boost energy? (maybe this should be in the health forum)
  • Options
    Whats odd about gaurana is that if you compare the level of caffine in them in comparrison to coffee its not that hig but its a slightly different type.
    Its less jittery and lasts longer, you can get it at Holland and Barratt.
  • Options
    and do they get your energy levels up? how many would you advise on taking?
  • Options
    They do help with my energy levels and concentration, if you normaly dont take any caffine at all then I'd say start with 1 or two 800mg tablet and see how you feel, they start to work in about 30-45mins.
    I normaly take 4 tablets two at a time an hour apart.
  • Options
    if you have too much caffiene it can actually have the opposite effect and make you more tired. I read that somewhere the other day, and ive actually found it to be true myself. I usually have 3 or 4 cups of instant coffee a day, sometimes more, but i certainly notice if i drink too much i feel lethargic and irritable
  • Options
    Re: Caffine?
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    How many of you can actualy cope without caffine, because I was thinking I'd like to cut down the amount I use.
    I have three mugs of strong coffee in the morning, then 4 or 5 800mg guarana tablets in the afternoon plus a cup of tea later, the problem is that it can make my energy levels really up and down.

aT FIRST YOU WILL EXPERIENCE TIREDNESS...THEN YOU WILL BE FREE!! I did it once and it was great
  • Options
    i cant cope without caffine, im sure i could if i tried REALLY hard but even a weekend without it wasnt too nice. I have between 8 and 10 cups a day of the rocket fuel coffee (u know the one with added guarana, its not that strong so i have to have 2 teaspoons)... ive been thinking i really should cut down too, it cant be too healthy but i :heart: my coffee too much. I think its more the taste than anything, i could probably go without the caffine... probably... :confused:
  • Options
    Caffine is good.

I couldn't live without caffine.

Actually I could live, but eventually i'd run out of food within reaching distance, so I'd starve before too long, unless some-one came along and fed me.

If they fed me speed i could then go and get my own food (and more caffine!!) so i don't take too much to kick start.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    If they fed me speed i could then go and get my own food #.
    you just wouldnt be able to eat it
  • Options
    i have around 6/7 cups of tea within the first hour out of bed. next time my head hits the pillow i will have had around thirty hot drinks. coffee/tea.
  • Options
    You might want to look into the amino acid DLPA (D,L-Phenylalanine) instead of coffee.
  • Options
    Isnt that that new wonder stimulant that isnt really a stimulant, but activates the neuradrenaline, seratonin and dopamine, I thought it was just marketing rubbish.
  • Options
    DLPA converts to DA and PEA.
  • Options
    Originally posted by addyh
    DLPA converts to DA and PEA.
    and then it's converted to a piss up the wall and a dump in the ground. well ...it is !
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    Caffine is good.

I couldn't live without caffine.

Actually I could live, but eventually i'd run out of food within reaching distance, so I'd starve before too long, unless some-one came along and fed me.

If they fed me speed i could then go and get my own food (and more caffine!!) so i don't take too much to kick start.

All I know is that I agree with this because I also can not live without my caffiene.

I have to have some sort of caffiene, whether it would be through coffee, soda, tea, caffiene pills, or whatever, but I just have to have my caffiene.

I know that when I was doing my volunteer job, during the year of 2001, that, if I stayed up all night, that I drank about 2 20oz mugs full of coffee, just to keep myself awake, pluse a tall coffee, from a gas station/store, of coffee, just to keep me awake until throughout the day, until my programs were over for the night.

I just know that I really must need my caffiene just to keep me funtioning throughout each day or else I get really cranky and really bad caffiene withdrawal headaches, if I don't get my caffiene, at all, for a long period of time.

That's just my humble opinion, on the matter, and I am sorry, in advance if I have upset or offended anyone with what I have said up above.

MySuffice21
  • Options
    Have you tried DLPA then? I have heard of it but not really given it a great deal of attention to be honest.
  • Options
    Hi
    My first post... (I write this as a nutritionalist working with stimulant drug users at a local drugs project)
    One of the things stimulants do (be it caffeine, speed, coke or whatever) is interact with blood sugar control, (the body needs glucose – it is they only source of energy it can use but the level of circulating glucose must be maintained within in tight limits). The body always works to maintain homeostasis (balance), therefore if something is causing an imbalance the body will attempt to correct it. Stimulants can trigger an adrenalin response. At a basic level adrenalin exists to protect us – flight or fight etc. Through various neuro + bio chemical reactions adrenalin causes blood sugar to rise – you need the power to either leg it or beat the crap out of someone/thing. High blood sugar can cause glucose poisoning (death) if left unchecked, enter insulin that removes circulating glucose. High level of glucose will trigger a high level of insulin. With high circulating insulin blood sugar levels drop quick and you can feel all sorts of symptoms, lethargy, poor cognition, sudden, drowsy and so on. With very low blood sugar one would eventually fall unconscious, so another hormone (glucagon) is released which kind of reverses process and the see-saw process goes on until it balances out and stabilises. Until the next shot… (btw – nicotine does the same thing…). Some people are better than other (due to many different factors) at keeping blood glucose balanced, therefore one person can get a real buzz out of coffee, another person won’t even feel effected and another could actually feel less alert. Perhaps this explains some of the different reactions to caffeine.
    As an aside DLPA is an amino acid (makes proteins) protein is an essential requirement for good blood sugar modulator. DLPA can also work as a mood modulator (In the body, phenylalanine is converted into another amino acid called tyrosine. Tyrosine in turn is converted into L-dopa, norepinephrine, and epinephrine, three key neurotransmitters (chemicals that transmit signals between nerve cells).
    I hope this hasn’t been too boring a post and look forward to any comments or questions people may have.
    cheers
    hobbs
  • Options
    Interesting stuff, I know what you mean about the see-sawing energy levels.

The fight or flight response also in some cases makes your body use up its fat reserves if I'm not mistaken, your glucose levels drop and it looks around for something to use. I got prperly thin when I was tweeking even though I was eating quite a lot, but it really wasnt very healthy.