Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is my friend slowly becoming an alchoholic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not sure if i've posted this in the right place, but anyway... this is about my friend. He's 17, but looks a lot older, and hes doing his A levels (as am I) at sixth form. Hes always been the kind of person to go and get pissed at the weekends and stuff, but anyway, since we've been at sixth form hes been going to the pub so much (theres a small pub just near our school).

First of all it just started out as going at the weekends out into town and that. Then he started going after sixth form on the odd occasion. Now he will go to the pub everyweek without fail. He still goes into town and gets slaughtered at the weekend, he will usually go and do the same on a thursday night, adn will often go after school, and even miss lessons to go and 'grab a pint'. He doesn't usually get 'drunk' during the week, but will have a pint..or two..and although it may not seem much, I just can't rememebr a week where he hasn't gone without a drink. Infact, I don't even think he'ld be able to go without drinking for a week, which is pretty worrying..

Maybe I'm just making a big fuss over nothing, but for a 17 year old going and getting absalutely wrecked at least 2 times a week, and then just going for a casual drink during the week.. I've mentioned it to him, like jokingly, but he just sees it as a joke, and doesn't see it at the problem, and infact looks at me weirdly if I say I don't even want a drink. Its just become so much part of his routine that Im worried it could get bad..

Do you think i'm just over reacting? Or you think it could be a problem waiting to unfold? :confused:

(sorry for rambling on)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My brother got into a slightly similar situation a while ago now, where he was going out every night and downing 8-10 pints before him and his mates sat down one time and realised that they should have a break.

There really isnt a great deal you can do if he doesnt see it as a problem, you could try and talk to him about it again, but as with any problem like this the person has to think its a problem before they will do anything. You could try and talk to him on a nasty hang over, that might help.

Good luck.
    I am in kind of the same situation, but it's more dealing with myser. Where I live you have to be 21 to legally buy and drink alcohol and every since I have turned 21 I have been doing nothing but drinking every night since I have turned 21 except for 3 days and I fear that I might have a problem with alcohol.

I kind of had a drinking problem while I was a teen, but it has seemed to only worsen since I have turned 21 and am able to have access to being able to buy and drink alcohol legally and it's kind of scaring me a bit because I thought that I would never come to this, but it seems as if it has really all come down to this.

I drink because I want to forget about my problems in life and everything else, in general, and I seem to go for the bottle, whenever things seem to get a little depressing, sad, or whatever. I just wish I could stop, but it just seems as if I really, truly can't

MySuffice21
    If your using any drug to attempt an escape then you have a problem.
    If your 21 then your an adult and no-one else is going to sort out your problem but you, get yourself to your doctor as soon as you can.
    Its only going to get nastier the longer you leave it.
    hi i think you could be worrying abit too much but thats not a bad thing .Hes lucky to have someone looking out for him.Ive been addicted to alcohol in the past and been in and out of hospital i forget how many times.That started by drinking on the weekends then in the week and then first thing in the morning its the worst thing that ive ever been thru .I had around 8 year on heroin and getting off alcohol is alot harder than coming off smack.For a start you cant get away from it everyone does it .its everuy where you go you have to change everything you do but thats the same when coming off any drug i guess.Any way sorry i got carried away but what the main thing i wanted to get accross is whether he has or has not a problem with drink,the truth is you cant do anything but be there for him hes got to admit any problem and only him can change.I know it sounds awfull but the more people try to stop you doing something the more they`ll do it.Just be there when he needs you thats the best i can offer hope it works out ok gud luck xx