Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

What's the point???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work in a bank (boring, I know)! You know what I think about a lot.....I have only got standard grade's, I've just turned 23 and I'm making about 13k. Now to most, that's probably pretty crap, and well yes, it is crap - but considering I got a 4 for maths and I'm in a bank then I am pretty much contented!!
My point is - I work next to people who've done years at uni and I am making more money than them + I know that I am better at my job than them. Also, they've usually got a degree in something that has absolutely numpty to do with the job, ie one guy got a degree in art and the other in Greek history or something like that - what the Falkirk is the point of going to Uni in the first place.
I am not being a w*nker, I respect people for there commitment but surely these people should be in a better job than me??????

Comments

• Options
    erm maybe they saw something in you that tehy didnt have eg. more experience, higher enthusiasm, and what not. Employers only count a degree or whatever as only part of the employment process they look at other stuff too. Stop thinking why this why that? if you like your job then be bloody contented! not everyone gets that!
  • Options
    Re: What's the point???
    Originally posted by funkyhouseboy11
    what the Falkirk is the point of going to Uni in the first place.

Right sorry if I go off on one, but.......

I graduated in June with a degree in Graphic design and at the moment I am a temp in a solicitors.....which as you say has nothing to do with my job. I have been trying so hard to get a design job, have been going to loads of interviews and am having no luck. So I've taken temping jobs to earn some money even though it's not what I want to do. Just cos you've been to Uni doesn't mean you can automatically get given a really good job!
  • Options
    To be honest, I should imagine that most of those people with degrees don't see that job as the highest point of their career.

But hey, who knows. People go to uni for all sorts of reasons, getting a certain job is just one.
  • Options
    I went to university. For about six months. Then I dropped out because I got a job doing what I am good at (fashion design). I now work for a very large fashion house and I earn in excess of 35k a year. I am nearly 20 years old.

However, I am often envious of people who continue at university. They have enjoy a lifestyle very particular to students. They have spent three years working hard but having fun. I think this is admirable.

I don't know why you let it bother you so much just because they have a degree and you don't yet you do the same job. Why let it bother you? I bet they've had an awful lot of fun on the way to getting that degree!