Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

STI testing...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya everyone.

i have decided to go to the GUM (Genito-Urinary Medicine) clinic for tests, i have not been told to go there by a friend and nor do i think that i have an STI, but id much rather be on the safe side.

i was just wondering if any of you have ever been before? because i really dont know what to expect and i find it a bit daunting. if so, please could you help? what type of tests do they do when you get there? how long do you have to wait for results etc...

thanks.

david

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A friend of mine has been a couple of times even though they told her there was no point as she's been with the same guy for 5 years (Although if he was sleeping around behind her back there is a good reason to go!)
    Anyway..I don't really know much about the tests, I guess its a smear and blood tests?? She seems to find it ok and not to embarrassing and they are nice to her. I think the wait is about 2-3 weeks depending on which tests they are doing.
    I've been. You'll have a urine test, a blood test, a smear type test where they take about 4 swabs, and they also take a swab from where you pee which feels rather odd.
    But nothing to worry about - pm me if you have any concerns.
    Isn`t Ilovehimso a blokey?
    Yes, thought so! His name is David.

In which case I don`t think he`ll be having a smear. :D
    In that case, they do the whole cotton wool bud swipey under the foreskin thing - nothing to worry about at all.
    Sorry I know this topic is a few days old but I wanted to share my experiences and thought this would be better than starting a new one.

I went to the GUM clinic this morning (finally, after putting it off for a while) and it was fine! I don't have any symptoms or reasons to believe I would have caught anything, but I wanted to get the all clear.

ilovehimso, if you haven't been yet, you should be reassured because the nurses and doctors really have seen everything, and they aren't judging you or turning their noses up at you. The bad things were the obscenely long waiting time, the fact that the nurses just seem bored by it all, and that they don't let you pee until you've had your test so I was desperate after 2 hours of waiting! Oh, and there's the obvious discomfort of the tests themselves, which weren't really very fun, but weren't too bad or painful either.

I have to wait 2 weeks for the results, I'll phone the clinic and get them. I don't know if that's the same for every clinic though.

Hope I've helped (if you still wanted the advice).

LSS