Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should parents always be supportive of their children?

I have some pretty drastic plans for my future which I haven't told my parents about yet, and when I asked my mum if she would always be supportive of my decisions, she said "No, we have opinions too." When she explained she said that if they didn't agree they would tell me, because they are entitled to say what they feel.
Fair enough.

Now I don't want to tell them my plans for fear of disappointing them. :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's your life, u can't let them control it for you.
    But if they think they have your best interests at heart......

You can't live under their rules all your life, and u should make some plans of your own.

It does sound a dilema
    Re: Parents

They should tell you their true opinions, regardless of whether they are for or against what you are proposing. But either way, they should respect your decision and fully support you. Above all, you are a grown adult so you should not worry about whether you disappoint them or anyone, for it is your life and so it is essential that you do exactly what you want to do.
    Re: Re: Parents
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    This is somewhat related to another post, in which I was told to "[c]hill out" because of expressing my views that were different to Bumble's.
    No it is not related at all, because I said in my original post:
    if they didn't agree they would tell me, because they are entitled to say what they feel. Fair enough.
    Did you notice that you picked what you quoted very sneakily, and forgot to actually quote the bit where I acknowledged that she is right? :rolleyes:

Anyway.......

I don't want my parents to be disappointed in me. Simple as. I know I will be happier but they are proud of me right now.
    Because I decided not to say that. Accordingly, as a friend, you respect this and delete exactly what I have deleted.

I invite you to look at when my original post was edited (when I delete that sentence) and compare it with your second, quoted post. You will find that they are the same time, so I wanted to delete it before you read it.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Mobily - why do you insist on editing your posts so that the thing I am commenting on is taken away?

Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    This is somewhat related to another post, in which I was told to "[c]hill out" because of expressing my views that were different to Bumble's.

:confused::confused:

erm.....annoying to say the least.

If your parents are proud of you now, they should be proud of what your going to become. So long as you have sensible plans (so no turning around and saying I plan to become a stoned drunken lout) they should be happy for you. Like I said, it is YOUR life and you should do what you want, if it makes you happy, they should be happy for you. If they have a gut feeling that what you plan to do is wrong, then you should hear their views, so you can rethink them, and check they are exactly what you want to do. I would also say you should do this with your friends. They might notice something that could affect your plans that you never noticed.
    Ok, thanks guys. :)
    Because parents are people in their own right, they should express their opinions even if they disagree with you.

THey should also express their concerns and problems with any plans you may have.

However, I think that they should support you, whatever your final decision, because they are your parents and that's what they're for. As long as you don't do anything really dreadful to alienate them or make them furious, then yes they should support you in everything you do.
    Parents are allowed opinions and feelings (as you have suggested yourself!!) but I believe they should put aside those feelings when dealing with their children. As long as their children are happy and aren't hurting anyone or themselves then they should be pleased, and indeed proud.

Good luck with whatever it is you need to tell them. I hope it is fine. :)

Now I don't want to tell them my plans for fear of disappointing them. :(

This will do you no good at all.

You can't spend your life trying to please your parents. You've got to do what you want to do. If they are "disappointed" then that's their luck out.
    i think they should be supportive but r also allowed there own oppinion, if ure decision is to be a proffesional jewel thief then dont expect them to agree, u probably know how they'll take ure decision anyway.
    Should parents always be supportive of their children?

Yes they should. However just because they support you doesent mean they have to like or even agree with what youre doing.
    How I see it is if my Daughter wanted to do something (if she was your age) then although I might not like what shes doing id have to let her do what she wanted. If i turned round to anyone and said "YOURE NOT DOING THAT " then what would they do? exactly the opposite :)
    It is my believe, that everyone is meant to break free from your parents at some point. Maybe by doing something, which the parents do not aprove of.
    Don't get me wrong, don't "prove yourself" just because. Just stating, that I think it's perfectly healthy to be independant and to do what you want yourself.
    i dont think they'll be 'disappointed in you', they may be disappointed in what you're doing... but never in you. and im sure that the most important thing to them is that you're happy. It should be anyway... whether they are supportive of what you're doing or not.

Do you feel you want to share your plans with us? or not? Im sure we could all be supportive for you.
    What is it you want to do - -go on, tell us, then maybe we'll know if your parents would be right to object!!
    At the end of the day the only person you need to please is yourself. Just tell them your plans who knows they may support you. Or they may give you a different look on things which will challenge you and help to make it clearer in your mind whether you really do think its a good idea to go ahead with what you would like to do in the future.
    I think that parents should be supportive of their children all the time, unless the idea they have is stupid *suicide, prostitution*. I think that they should voice their opinions and maybe disagree but they shouldn't stop the child from doing what they feel is best.