Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Diet Trials

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone been watching this? I found it really interesting. I was just reading the results which are here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/diettrials

I need to lose a bit of weight, maybe a stone, and I've tried some diets. I tried slim fast (well the cheap Asda version), but just felt so ridiculously hungry, my belly would growl in lessons and I would end up eating a HUUGE meal later.

I try eating healthily, but similarly I just get really really hungry and end up pigging out. I live quite an active life, I'm at uni, I exercise, I walk everywhere, and I need a lot of energy.

I don't eat junk, fast food, rarely have chocolate and don't fry food.

If anyones been on any diets or has any advice I would be very grateful!

Please don't suggest the atkins diet!

Comments

• Options
    I believe the weight that you are some how ties in with genetics. So sometimes there isn't a lot that you can do to change the weight you are. Diets rarely work from what I've heard. So if its a case of genetics for you then you are just going to have to accept the weight you are and live with it.
  • Options
    i have been carrying extra weight since having my little girl 3 years ago, and recently instead of a sandwich for lunch, I have started having soup without any bread and in about 2 months I have lost 10lbs and I'm nearly back to my original weight. I've just been having normal stuff for brekkie and tea too...nothing overly healthy at all.

Soup Rocks! :)
  • Options
    Re: Diet Trials
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Has anyone been watching this? I found it really interesting. I was just reading the results which are here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/diettrials

I need to lose a bit of weight, maybe a stone, and I've tried some diets. I tried slim fast (well the cheap Asda version), but just felt so ridiculously hungry, my belly would growl in lessons and I would end up eating a HUUGE meal later.

I try eating healthily, but similarly I just get really really hungry and end up pigging out. I live quite an active life, I'm at uni, I exercise, I walk everywhere, and I need a lot of energy.

I don't eat junk, fast food, rarely have chocolate and don't fry food.

If anyones been on any diets or has any advice I would be very grateful!

Please don't suggest the atkins diet!

i wouldnt dream of suggesting the atkins diet, but as far as carbs go, just how much would you eat in a day? from what i understand, the body needs a certain amount of calories to function every day. carbs give you energy, but if you dont use the energy the body stores them as fat calories (i think...someone correct me if im wrong). could it be that perhaps u have too many carbs in your diet? even tho you think you are eating healthy....there might be too much pasta and bread and baked potatoes in there....im not saying there is cos obviously i dont know what your diet is like...but that might be a possibility. i have cut down on carbs quite a lot but i still eat enough.

another thing could be you might have an endomorph body type, which is someone struggles to lose weight and needs to stick to a balanced diet and have regular exercise in order to not put on weight. the opposite is an ectomorph, someone who is naturally thin and can eat whatever they want and not often put on weight.

weight watchers has really helped me. i have lost a stone and a half, and im not really counting the time ive lost it in because my weight goes up and down. but at the minute the weight is coming off. one week i put on 4 pounds and i was totally gutted, but when i looked back on that week i realised why. weight watchers give you a tracker to keep track of everything you eat. every food has a points value and every person a daily allowance. you write everything down each day and total up your points, and its simple, if you stick to the points you lose the weight. its that simple. admitedly its not so simple sticking to your points each day, but you get used to it after a while, writing everything down. you can have whatever you want to eat as long as you count the points. you dont get hungry!
    i was always very active anyway, i swim every other day and often go to the gym, but before i joined weight watchers i wasnt losing any weight. but no amount of exercise can make up for sloppy eating habits. weight watchers is a sensible plan that works and isnt strict. i would recommend you try it out. some people complain that its expensive cos you have to buy lots of healthy food and stuff, but you can just stick to the food you buy already and make sure you count the points. altho you may find there are some things that are just too high in points you cant have them anymore (such as indian food...my favourite)

good luck with whatever you decide to do and if you need any help give me a shout
    dont know if any of that was any help but good luck anyway!
  • Options
    The only diet I've tried that I've managed to stick to is Slimming World, purely because you can eat absolutely loads and still lose weight. I've lost a stone, and I wasn't that overweight to start with so its not like I've got loads more to lose. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. (I'm not on commission!!) Go to www.slimming-world.co.uk to find your nearest class. End of advert!
  • Options
    I think as scarlettcloud said it may be a good idea to cut out some curbs if you can because i think that was a big thing that has made me put on weight. im on slim fast at the moment but havent really been on it long enough to tell if it works or not. I'm mainly using it to loose a bit of weight so that my chest can be smaller coz its causing me problems at the mo. Does anyone have any suggestions about loosing weight from your chest? I'm going to the doctors tomorrow about it but though i'd ask anyway. soz i dont mean to highjack your thread pussykatty honest just thought it was silly to make a new diet thread :) :flirt: .

good luck dieting :)