Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A career?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What am I gonna do with my life?

I have an MA(hons) in Contemporary European Studies and English and I am now over halfway through my PGCE in Secondary English. Unfortunately I am not too sure that this is actually what I want to do for the rest of my life. I like kids (even the shitty ones) and I get on great with most of the teachers that I have worked with ... but I don't get that buzz from teaching that I feel that I should get after spending nearly 5 years at University now.

After this year I will probably do my NQT year so that I am fully qualified but other than that I really have no idea what I want to do with my life. I love working with children, although I don't want to teach them, I want to be their friend. I used to like doing youth work but that's mainly in the evenings and can be quite competitive to get into. I also have a major passion for travelling. I've not really been anywhere exciting but after studying Eastern Europe as part of my degree I would really like to visit and possibly work in those countries.

Does anybody out there have any ideas for me as my indecisiveness is driving everyone that I know mad!!!

Comments

• Options
    i have no fucking clue either, left university as it was a bag of shit, am moving and getting a job whilst my head figures out what it wants.

just take some time out to get things straight. it'll come to you eventually.
  • Options
    Teaching is always something you can fall back on, and there are lots of transferrable skills: time management, people management, presentation and communication skills, mentoring and so on.

How about doing TEFL (teaching english as a foreign language)? You could teach for a few months, save up, travel for a few months etc.
  • Options
    how about working with children abroad on camps or join PGl or something like that.
  • Options
    I know how you feel hun! I have no clue what to do either. Finished my design degree in June and haven't been able to get a design job. Am trying tot hink of other things I could do, but have no clue! :confused: