Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Does Excercise really make a difference?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Some people never go to the gym or do any excercise, and they live to 80+ so why work out?

It it really that good to be fit ?

It is worth the £35 a month fee ?

I think it is , and you?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think gyms are a waste of money - you can do sufficient exercise for free - like brisk walking and running, even going swimming is cheaper!

Yes, it is good to be fit.

I am not very fit but at least I admit that.

I think £35 a month can be better spent!
  • Options
    i never go to the gym, whereas a lot of people in my year do, and ive got the fastest cross country time of the lot of us. I think it only really matters if you dont like excercise.

oh and a study a while ago said something along the lines of a brisk walk each morning is better for you than a gym session. so i duno.
  • Options
    "this should be in sports and fitness"

:p

just kidding :)
  • Options
    Erm, Okay, these people who are living to 80+ as you put it had very different lifestyles when they were teens to how we live now. I think in general we now lead a far more sedentary (sp?) lifestyle, so going to the gym and such is more important to us than it would have been to them.

Exercise does make a difference, this is proven medical fact, it's up to you if you think it's worth the gym fee. Though you don't have to go to a gym.

I have a pull-up bar in my house now, too. Though I banged my head on the pesky thing the other day so thus far it's probably done more harm than good.
  • Options
    I'm too lazy anyway :p
  • Options
    Now see i like the buzz you get from exercise so i like the gym.

Having said that i like exercise out of gyms too.

But yeah i'd pay however much per month if i could.
  • Options
    People who dont exercise are not healthy.

Yes its worth it...It depends on your goals as to whether you can do sufficient exercise for free..I certainly cant.
  • Options
    i am a member of a gym BUT it only cost me £6.50 and thats forever and it is a good one and i use it when i'm in the hockey season. otherwise i just like doing every day stuff like walking (especially in sunshine is lovely) and i just started roller blading, i'm shit at it but it gets me out doors. i dont think exercise has an effect on the length you live though, i think its more how active your everyday life is.
  • Options
    Being a Ninja then fitness is a major priority. I used to pay £30 to the local gym to use the facilities maybe once a week. So I stoppped going.

I bought myself a £350 home gym and use that instead. Granted mostly for hanging my clothes on but it gets used :p
  • Options
    I think being fit is important ! Dont get me wrong. ;)

I've put this thread up because i have'nt done anything in years. I went to the gym a bit last year but got bored and skint !

I feel slow, worn out and unhealthy at the moment, I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike and hoffing it around on that get the blood round me again!

Because the gym is boring ! - So the bike should work!

Better heart , stronger muscles etc.?
  • Options
    Yep, it good to stay fit! Keeps the blooding flowing round the body.

I’m not that fit (at the moment)

If I honestly had the time and money, I would be down the gym most days!

But people who go down the gym everyday aren't differently doing it to stay healthy, more to look good for the opposite sex!
  • Options
    i think thats a great idea, i cycled alot in the summer, it helped that i had an md player... i would say to myself i'll cycle until the end of this md and then stop... always helped. you could swim? swimming is good for you. tennis too, love that or... come to mine and help me master this roller blading!!!?
  • Options
    i only do exercise that's fun. going to the gym is hellish.

i'm not that fit, but i do ride (horses) once a week....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless

But people who go down the gym everyday aren't differently doing it to stay healthy, more to look good for the opposite sex!

I do it to get healthy, get strong AND for the added benefit of looking better :)
  • Options
    I personally think that it's definitely important to try and keep fit (and at the moment i am not doing my best at this...), but I don't think it's worth paying to go to a gym when there are plenty of things you can do for free as Bumblebee said....
  • Options
    I got gym membership for my birthday, and I love it.

I'm really into running on the treadmills, doing weights and the rest of it. Its great, but i haven't lost much weight :(
  • Options
    I have to go to the gym because I can't find squat racks, 80kg barbells, 28kg dumbells, chin up bars, lat pull downs, and other weighlifting things in the street.
    I pay £31 a month, and its well worth it.
  • Options
    but its far more than exercising that keeps you healthy and living that long. you could exercise every day, but you can smoke and eat horribly and be lazy and not take care of your health and still keel over by 25
  • Options
    If you exercise everyday then you will stand a much better chance than someone who doesnt if you do all that stuff.

most people who have the commitment to go to the gym everyday arent moronic enough to smoke, eat badly etc.
  • Options
    I really need to sign up ASAP.
    Was meant to sign up to strengthen my thigh muscles, to improve my knee or something (my physiotherapist said something like that. Or I just completely misunderstood). Though have had some fuck ups, and literally couldn't walk. It's only a month ago I stopped taking 600 mg painkillers just to get out of bed cause of severe pain.

Never been a person to enjoy team-sports as I am not too athletic, and hate the fact that people depend on you in teams. So I like to excersize at either the gym, or preferably swiming.
    Feel relxaxed and get my agression out like that.

Being healthy has never been a huge point for me, but lately I have realised that it doesn't harm you (though I did end up in this situation by sports in the first place :rolleyes: ), and that the gain of energy and calmness is a way better than the unmotivation which the laziness brings and the bottling up of agression and anxiety.
  • Options
    I rarely do sport I should do more but the things I enjoy doing are adventure sports like rock climbing and white water rafting. I dont enjoy running or hockey etc
  • Options
    I used to be really into cricket (especially batting) and cycling (9 miles in less than 30 mins) but not anymore. Take up cycling again instead of running.

I enjoy hiking - will start mountain hiking soon. It's a great way to keep fit, relax and to appreciate the scenery.

Although not really exercise, I would love to do things like paragliding, parashooting, rock climbing and suchlike.
  • Options
    i don't know if it makes much difference in the long run but it is important to me that i'm fit. I go to the gym most days, surf every morning and run each night. It's more that i enjoy exercise tho. Especially surfing
  • Options
    i find that after i excercise i'm still up for running around like a 7yr old child who's full of 'e' numbers

when i don't excercise i feel crappy, lethargic...

so to me excercise is great.
  • Options
    I'm guessing that exercise may not make a difference because of a number of factors one of them being genetics.
  • Options
    I think it does, i do a lot of exercise and afterwards i feel fantastic. I'm a long distance runner and swimmer, and a triathlete. - i may not be the best, but i don't care, i do it for fun.
  • Options
    Tis very important. I pay 35 quid a month for gym - and its also the atmosphere down there that you pay for, it helps you to keep motivated.

Having a minidisc player or a walkman also helps to keep you going.

Running is also good, but not too great if you arent already fit - start off with bikes is what I found was the best, then gradually start running. The next step for me is to start rowing again regularly.

Weights and cardio do help with the opposite sex to a certain extent, but I find that hard exercise leaves me mentally tired, which isnt too great if your attempting to chat up a lady.
  • Options
    www.abcbodybuilding.com

Its not a bodybuilding site really, its all about fitness nutrition, keeping fit and staying trim!

(of course there are a few bodybuilders too)

Ive learnt so much from this site
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    I used to be really into cricket (especially batting) and cycling (9 miles in less than 30 mins) but not anymore. Take up cycling again instead of running.

Although not really exercise, I would love to do things like paragliding, parashooting, rock climbing and suchlike.

I think you have to be pretty fit to roack climb.
    exercise does make a difference - but like it has been said you don't need to go to the gym for it. I used to cycle loads as did mobily's - once when really fit I did a 10 mile time trial (cycling) in 24 minutes - on the back of a tandem, I nearly died - but it felt so good. I reckon tamdem riding is about the most fun you can have on a bike.
    I have started running again and it has taken about a month (3xper week) to be able to run for about 15 minutes with out passing out on the pavement:)
    What i think is important is getting out with friend who will keep you motivated.
  • Options
    I go to the gym and I like it.
    You can do your walking and running on a machine whilst seeing how many miles you have run, how fast you are going, time you have been exercising etc.. You can use the exercise bikes for the cycling part with all the added extras that manual bikes don't have (well they didn't when I had one anyway). Then if you want theres weights you can lift, weight machines designed for your six pack (which I like, beats doing sit-ups in my bedroom).
    Some gyms are way too expensive though. I've found one where you don't have to be a member and pay monthly (you can if you want), there was no induction to pay for where someone shows you the machines. All I pay is £3 everytime I go.