Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Calcium deficiency -or- knocks?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is really gettin to me now...

Can anyone tell me if the little white blots on some peoples fingernails are like nail bruises from knocking them against something or if its a sign you havent been taking in enough calcium? Thanks

Tom

Comments

• Options
    i have a vague memory of having this conversation before with someone... and somethings telling me its not calcium deficiency, but i cant promise you
  • Options
    im sure i read it was just knocks, but now theres a new tv advert implying that theyre calcium deficiencies... :confused:
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    i always thought it was calcium related.. that's what somebody told me years ago anyway.
  • Options
    I think it`s a symptom of zinc deficiency.
  • Options
    I beleive its a deficiency.
    Apparently eating a cube of jelly a day is a good way to build it back up again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I think it`s a symptom of zinc deficiency.

Yep, usually zinc or vitamin A, not calcium.
  • Options
    has it even been scientifically proved yet?

cus i did a little experiment where i beat the hell outa my nails with a pencil and it made them all white and i had to wait ages before my nails were long enough to cut it off
  • Options
    It's from knocking your finger nails, nothing to do with calcium. I drink no milk and have hardly any calcium and my finger nails are fine....all except one which i trapped in the door and that has a huge white blob on it. Point proven ;)
  • Options
    yep, Faith is right
  • Options
    i thought it had to do with your diet... not necessarly calicum, but with your diet. but i think there are different types of white spots. like i get them when i hit my nails, but i got the other ones too, they are like semi-permanant and they look totally different too. so maybe its both...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    It's from knocking your finger nails, nothing to do with calcium. I drink no milk and have hardly any calcium and my finger nails are fine....all except one which i trapped in the door and that has a huge white blob on it. Point proven ;)

:yes:

those white spots on your teeth might be from a calcium deficiency, but not the ones on your nails.

i don't drink milk, don't eat much cheese and basically have an appalling, calcium-less diet.

i have no white spots on my nails at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    :yes:

those white spots on your teeth might be from a calcium deficiency, but not the ones on your nails.

i don't drink milk, don't eat much cheese and basically have an appalling, calcium-less diet.

i have no white spots on my nails at all.

don't make me go get Mr T...

Mr T sez: "Drink your MILK and you'll grow up BIG AND STRONG like me, don't be no FOO'!"
  • Options
    *mumbles*

mr. t doesn't know....
  • Options
    Hello - to clear this up:

Bad nutrition can have an effect on your nails, but it has to be pretty severe.

The most common cause for white spots on your nails is knocks and bumps.