Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pubs and Children

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think about children going to pubs?

I do not really like the idea of taking my Daughter to the pub, unless of course its a kids orientated one IE Swings, Ball Park, Kids menus etc etc. I take my Daughter to this type of pub maybe once every couple of months. I sometimes take her to the pub on a Sunday lunch time just while we eat and then we go home.

How i see it is, a pub is for adults not children. When adults go out they dont want loads of kids running around, knocking the pint out of someones hand. I dont like it when you get kids screaming and shouting at the pub. I go to the pub as a means of escape from my Daughter so I dont really like the idea of other children running riot , not saying they all do, but lets be honest here kids can and will run a mock in pubs.

I have a close friend who has always gone to the pub on a regular basis. all there is in that pub is 2 fruit machines, a pool table and tables. They took their son out almost every night to the pub, even if it was only for an hour or so. He is now 18 and all he wants to do is go to the pub.......cos thats all he knows, thats what hes been taught. To him its nothing going out every night for a few pints and I think its a bit sad that an 18 yr old can only find happiness sat at the bar.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    when i was a kid (not really that long ago) i used to enjoy going to the pub with my parents and their mates we used to sit in the beer garden and maybe play football. but i wouldnt say i was ever really causing trouble but hey i suppose its up to the other people
    HE HE HE :D

I doubt very much that his childhood visits to a pub are the motivation for his need to go to the pub now....

When I was going to pubs I lived in very rural areas so I guess I was safer than kids in the inner cities. I was with my Parents friends and their kids most of the time and it was natural for us to be there. Infact as far as we were concerned we weren't just going to the pub but were going out with all or friends.
    I remember going other times whilst on camping holidays.

My parents were mature students and their friends were all hippies, we all looked out for eachother.

I was at a pub at the weekend, first time since the clocks went forward - sunning it in the beer garden - and there were plenty of families there.

However - I don't remember going late at night very often so perhaps I'd agree that late night revellry with your kids isn't the smartest idea.

I went for a pub lunch with my boyfriends family and his mum was feeding his nephew (18 months old) beer on a spoon...THAT I believe is wrong.
    Originally posted by byny
    HE HE HE :D

;):p

I maybe should mention that my friends drink with meals every night. Everytime someone goes round out comes the bottle of Bells for the fellas and the bottle of wine for the lasses. They just need to have a drink every night, they have to go to the pub.....like hellooooo theres more to life than going to the pub, night after night after night.
    I think their lifestyle has rubbed off onto their Son, hes basically following in their footsteps. Hes been taken to the pub at such an early age and now thats all he knows.
    As Ive said I do take my Daughter but she sees this as a treat, its not a normal everyday occurence.
    i agree when you say that pubs are for adults.

i know i girl, she's same age as me...(17) and has a son who's about 6 months now... and she's always in the pub! sometimes she takes him, but since people started telling her that kids, especialy of that age dont belong in pubs (mainly because of all the smoke being a danger to his health) she leaves him at home and goes without him!

i dont know... he obviously doesnt really know where he is at that age... but i wouldnt dream of taking my 2 year old to the pub... i dont know really... just worried she'd grow up in a 'local pub' atmosphere and i dont want that... i want her to see more than that. I dont go down there a lot of the time anyway! only on rare occasions, but still... id rather her be bought up in a family home rather than a pub! but as you say byny... once every now and again i dont really see as a problem.
    nice quiet country-type pubs with playgrounds and kids meals are fine, but crowded smoky pubs?? you think the kids enjoy that?
    Originally posted by legal junkie
    nice quiet country-type pubs with playgrounds and kids meals are fine, but crowded smoky pubs?? you think the kids enjoy that?

here here *raises hand* :yes: aye... the junkie has a point
    Originally posted by badabing

here here *raises hand* :yes: aye... the junkie has a point

yes, bow to the junkie, for she is wise :yes:

:p
    Originally posted by legal junkie

yes, bow to the junkie, for she is wise :yes:

:p

another thing to add to your nice list
    :D
    Wacky Warehouse type pubs are a good idea I think, cos other than that, there's only really MacDonalds where kids would want to go out for a meal.

If you want to take your kids to a pub, go to one that caters for children. Otherwise, what's the point?
    i have no problem with the kids being in the right kind of pub in the daytime, even early evening for a meal. i have a serious problem with any kids in the kind of pubs i frequent. i like rough pubs with no carpets. lots of swearing and dirty jokes. nicked microwaves and mickey mouse watches for sale. the occasional bar room brawl. not the kind of place i would recomend for the faint hearted let alone children. a mans pub, where men go to escape wives and children and get bladdered.
    My parents only ever took me to the pubs which catered for kids, with the ball pools and adventure playgrounds and that kinda thing and this was usually only sunday afternoons.

I dont think it is right to take kids to pubs which dont cater for them, they are only going to be bored anyway. Plus its not exactly the best evironment for a child and its not setting a very good example is it?

:rolleyes:
    I don't mind kids in pubs at any time as long as they are family orientated ones.

I don't mind children on pubs durnig the day (until 9pm at my local pub) because I was once a child and I enjoyed the change of scenery!! I don't think people should take very small children to pubs though (like babies or toddlers) because it can get smoky.