Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Theoretically....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you put loads of computers together working on the same task, would the add up their processer speed, RAM etc or would it be the mean.

Because I have an idea - most people are throwing away computers like 386's. What if you collected maybe 50 of them? Then you could install linux as that is a non system hungry OS and finally link them all together and there you have your supacumputa!

Is this feasible? Because if it is I don't see why people couldn't *donate* their unused crap machines and then there could be a growing network of computers which could do some menial task...

Anyone think it's a good idea or am I talking sh*t?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People already do this.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well its sorta neither, its like if you have a dual processor PC the actual processing power isn't exactly the sum of the two processors because one has to delagate jobs to the other. RAM also can't really be accessed usually across a network so I am not to sure on that one. However get enough and theoretically you would have a fast PC (granted you would need a HUGE amount of plug sockets!!!!)