Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Am I the only one with terminal ennui?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don`t know about anyone else, but somehow this war just doesn`t seem real. Yes, I`ve seen the coverage on tv and all that, but somehow it hasn`t sunk in. I can`t seem to stir myself to be bothered about it.

I can remember being really worried when war broke out in the Falklands, and fairly concerned about the Gulf War in `91. This time... it seems so far away and unlikely to affect me. I can`t change it so, I dunno *shrugs*

Seems like terrible things happen all the time in the world and they`re all televised, so what`s new? I think I`ve become desensitised to it.

Comments

• Options
    A lot of the disbelief may have something to do with all the propaganda that both sides throw out to the media.

It's real. People are dying. And no-one is too sure why we went to war. Oil? Evil dicator? Bush Jnr trying to finish Bush Snr's war?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cheezie Grin
    It's real. People are dying.

Yeah, I know that, what I`m saying is that I cannot bring myself to be terrribly concerned. I`m not sure why.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy

Yeah, I know that, what I`m saying is that I cannot bring myself to be terrribly concerned. I`m not sure why.

I don't exactly see the War as something to be worried about either, it's not like we're in any danger in the slightest, and whilst the idea of people fighting and dying is a pretty horrible one, I feel it's something that has to be done.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy

Probably because it is far away and we have seen it before and it's not you that's dying. I think a certain amount of desensitisation is inevitable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cheezie Grin
    It's real. People are dying. And no-one is too sure why we went to war. Oil? Evil dicator? Bush Jnr trying to finish Bush Snr's war?

:yes:

I think Bush had a war planned way before he came to power! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    A question: how many other stories in the news do you get concerned about?

I think we have become a nation that doesn't care about ourselves that much. We have murders walking about, thousands out to war, yet a lot of us will be most concerned about how we perform in the footy and rugby this weekend.

Scary. What happened to being proud about your nationality?