Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is my friend naive to the extreme?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My best friend has been talking to a girl online for about six months now. They get on really really well, and it's obvious that they like each other a lot. The trouble is, he lives in London and she lives in North Carolina!!

Apparently, she might be coming over to London in the Summer, and he may be going over to North Carolina next summer, on this University exchange thing.

On top of this, she is planning to move to Britain after she finishes college (2-3 years, I think)

They've talked on the phone quite a few times, and they both know what each other looks like.

Should I tell him to stop being so optimistic, or what? He seems really happy at the moment. Happier than he's ever been, in fact.

Many thanks

Petie

Comments

• Options
    Hate to tell you mate ... he's living in a dream
    Stick by him and let him see it through but it wont last long.

There are all these people who say ooh but i know someone who got together with someone on the internet and they're married ... how many people do you know that have done it and didnt get married ... they are truely massive odds.

dont let him get too hung up .. you never know the woman of his dreams in this contry might pass hime by!
  • Options
    I think you should be a bit more supportive of your friend. Is he happy? Yes, you say so yourself. Do you have any right to take away that happiness? No.

Leave him too it, and just be there for him. So you personally thikn he is living in a dream world. So what if he is? You said yourself that he is the happiest you have seen him in ages.
  • Options
    Keep out of it mate, best thing for it.

Let him make his own mistakes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adiss
    Hate to tell you mate ... he's living in a dream
    Stick by him and let him see it through but it wont last long.

There are all these people who say ooh but i know someone who got together with someone on the internet and they're married ... how many people do you know that have done it and didnt get married ... they are truely massive odds.

dont let him get too hung up .. you never know the woman of his dreams in this contry might pass hime by!

How do you know it wont last long? God it irritates me, people meet all sorts of ways, just because they met online doesn't mean it won't last, why not then? Why is it more succesful to meet in a club or whatever? And yeh wow loads meet on the net and don't get married? But his mate hasn't said anything about marrying her :rolleyes: Just becuase they like each other doesn't mean wedding bells are ringing. It annoys me that just because their in a different country peeps think it shouldn't work, gos ok so it's not ideal but dream on what the hell is ideal in this world.

I say leave your mate to it, if he's happy let it work itself out and just see what happens :)
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice, everyone :)

I talked to my friend about this the other day, and... well, I guess I've had a change of heart. Both of them really seem ecstatic, and I actually think things could possibly work out for them.

I mean, they know exactly what each other looks like, they seem to have millions of things in common, they speak on the phone all the time (I think he found some uber-cheap phone card!), they send each other lovely things through the post... and they'll have the opportunity to meet loads of times in the next few years.

She's coming over to London this Summer, he's going over to NC next year, he's planning to spend a bit of time in the US in his gap year after Uni, and she's got a whole year studying at Reading Uni in her second year at college. And apparently, it's a women's college... which seems to make him happy ;)