Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Rude shop assistants...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sick to the back teeth of them.

Isn't it easier to just smile :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Don't get me started on chip shop owners :mad:

Yeah, rant over.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I fuckin know. :mad:

Why cant they just smile?
    Raaaaaaaar! There, that should scare them all enough so that they smile!
    i have an idea. ill bend the female ones over my knee and spank them :D

im horny :(
    Hey i was a shop assistant and i smiled :D
    If you were being paid £3, piss poor per hour, in a crappy shop on a sunny day, would you be smiling ?

:no:
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Hey i was a shop assistant and i smiled :D

So have I, so we both know it takes no effort to smile :)

See :) Easy :)
    I smiled (which is rare), and was friendly.

The day goes so much slower if you're a moody cunt.
    Originally posted by CRAZYREDEYES
    If you were being paid £3, piss poor per hour, in a crappy shop on a sunny day, would you be smiling ?

It takes no effort.

And I was only on £2 an hour :p
    A shop assistant, like everyone in contact with a customer, should always be friendly, efficient and professional. If this is not so, then predictably the firm's reputation and the business's likelihood of retaining its customers might be affected. However, depending on the product or service in question, the customer will probably accept the behaviour, especially if there is poor or little competition. The exception might be if the firm is within a market that has an oligopolistic or a monopolistic competition structure.

The key here is customer feedback. This is because if you are not happy with the service, tell someone of authority and hopefully things will change for the better, preferably through training and thus the realisation of the absolutely essential customer service.

Shut up James. :rolleyes:
    I hate miserable gits in shops :mad: I'm so friendly in work and I'm like hiya to everyone when I'm serving on the till and I nearly fainted once from shock, one person actually said hello back!!! There's no bloody need for it :mad:

Funny you should say that.

Used to get paid £3 p/h in my first shop job!
    Their job is to assist and service the costumers. No one pays them to smile. It brighten up a day, when a shop assistant makes you smile. But to be honest, I am more interested in what I am buying than the shop-assistant. Unless I am shopping in the Diesel store... He he ;)
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Their job is to assist and service the costumers

And what does this involve? Does it involve them being unkind, in a rush and unfriendly? Or perhaps useful, friendly and happy? Needless to say, an assistant is, in part, the firm's representative, and thus essential in developing its reputation in order to retain its existing customers and to gain new customers.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Their job is to assist and service the costumers. No one pays them to smile

I would get the sack if I didn't smile, it can lose the company business, if customers are treated rudely then they won't want to go back there.
    Originally posted by angelbabe

it can lose the company business

And if a firm loses customers and consequently income, it will undoubtedly have to reduce its costs in order to hopefully make a profit. This cost-effectiveness is based on efficiency and the most likely instant change is in the number of employees, for they are unquestionably the most expensive asset in any business. Therefore, an assistant has a direct interest in offering a friendly, efficient and professional service at all times, through, for instance, smiling.
    I agree, but I son't like shop assistants who try to talk to me, inactualy fact I hate anybody in the customer service industry trying to strike up a conversation with me. I don't do it at work because all that "Hello and welcome" shite really pisses me off!!

I don't think smiling is what I am paid to do, it comes naturally because it is couteous!
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

I don't think smiling is what I am paid to do!

You are paid to perform your role within the organisation in which you work, hereby offering, if necessary, customer service. This includes a number of factors, such as friendliness; hospitality; chattiness; politeness; helpfulness; and that all-important smile. So although it is courteous, it is also, if applicable, what you are indirectly paid to do!
    LMAO!

Try working at TJ Hughes for two years. That is all. :yes:
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost

You are paid to perform your role within the organisation in which you work, hereby offering, if necessary, customer service. This includes a number of factors, such as friendliness; hospitality; chattiness; politeness; helpfulness; and that all-important smile. So although it is courteous, it is also, if applicable, what you are indirectly paid to do!
    I don't have a contract and nobody has told me that I have to smile. Sorry to disupt this but nobody would lose their job for not smiling James.
    Chattiness SUCKS BIG TIME. I DO NOT WANT TO BE CHATTED WITH BY SHOP ASSISTANTS! EVER

That was aimed at shop assistants, not you James!

:no:

Exactly what i thought when i saw this thread.........
    Most customers are so bloody rude no wonder the shop assistants are moody! I worked in a cash & carry and then in a bar/restaurant and have decided I'm not doing a job where I have to deal with customers ever again. I can't believe how rude people can be, for no reason at all!
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Sorry to disupt this but nobody would lose their job for not smiling James.

Of course you would not be sacked for not smiling! But if you are in the public eye, it is rightly expected in order to increase professionalism and to ensure a friendly, welcoming environment for all customers. As you said, it is courteous – at the very minimum – yet it needs to be sincere (i.e. the assistant must want to smile) to have the desired effect. This is why naturally outgoing people might be best suited to such positions.

Customer service is exceptionally important, hence the great investment, particularly through training, that virtually all businesses put into it.
    Why does being outgoing make you more likely to smile? :confused:
    Outgoing = at ease in talking to others. So you are more willing to open up, to chat confidently and to hopefully smile in doing so.

You disagree that, generally speaking, outgoing, bubbly people might be more inclined to smile?

Hey, I don't want to have an argument. I am just putting my opinions across. :)
    I know people who have been sacked from where I work for not smiling, and I see the managers watching me when I'm dealing with customers. Of course you need to smile, that's one of the main things! Not smiling isn't very welcoming for the customer, and if you're miserable then well it doesn't look good! If you go in a shop and get a smile then it is nice, if you just get a blank look I get abit annoyed, it doesn't harm to have good bloody manners and be polite to people.
    The only miserable shop assistants I've ever come across all work in Martins, the newsagents. They're all miserable cunts in there, and it's gone downhill ever since they got a new manager. No-one goes in there any more, cause they're all miserable unpolite twats.
    I think it also depends a lot on the customer, because if they're being miserable to you, its kinda hard to be cheery back. I'm always a cheery customer and say hi n stuff... in the rare situation that I'll enter a shop. :) although i am so glad that I don't work in a shop. lol
    I work in WHSmiths and I always try and smile...the managers often have their evil eye on us and they're not happy if we don't...and nor is the mystery shopper!! I think it's definitely something all assistants should try and do, but there are times when if you're having a shit day, you've got extremely rude customers and generally could do with being out in the sunshine on a sunday afternoon rather than stuck in the boiling hot shop window, it's sometimes hard to raise the smile...I'm always polite and everything though, even if the smile just won't come, and that's only about 1% of the time!!
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    I fuckin know. :mad:

Why cant they just smile?
    Because they have to put up with rude, mad, insane, ranting, loony, customers. :mad: They're worn down and fed up by the cranks and nutters, get paid crappy wages, work Saturdays and Sundays, and are sick of their jobs. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)
    :lol:

I don't think smiling has anything to do with being professional. A person can be polite etc without a fake plastic smile all over their face. A fake smile is more off putting than no smile at all in my opinion.

Lets face it though, like Faith said, the customers are just as bad. I don't think it is anything to do with the profession but the person. You get nice shop assistants and you get miserable ones, and vice versa with customers!
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost
    Outgoing = at ease in talking to others. So you are more willing to open up, to chat confidently and to hopefully smile in doing so.

You disagree that, generally speaking, outgoing, bubbly people might be more inclined to smile?

Hey, I don't want to have an argument. I am just putting my opinions across. :)
    After reading your postings, I'm begining to wonder - do you work, or have you ever worked, in a shop? I doubt it from your posts. Ok, so I don't either, but I work in the next best/worst thing (depending upon your point of view) - customer services for a chain of shops. If you've ever had to deal with arsehole customers, then you would soon know how just one of them can upset your mood and attitude all day, and a few of them a day, or a lot over the space of a few days, can make it nigh on impossible to smile or sound cheerful. While it is sometimes nice to be greeted with a smile, etc, I don't always expect it, and if it's forced it comes across as being fake and cheesy, which is worse.
    I've had enough of my current job, and I'm looking for a new one. Two years of arseholes have ground me down. I'm sick of them, and they can all go to hell as far as I'm concerned. It's those loony customers that drive the decent people away from jobs, leaving the worst behind, so next time you see a moronic customer - blame them!

Mr_Wobble ;)