Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Of true friends and world politics.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In school you know who your friends are and they're always there for you. In world politics, the alliances change so much it seems like there's very few true alliances. For example, the Iranians just blew up an Iraqi speed boat suicider who was going to ram his explosive filled craft into one of the coalition ships. Now I know by June when their nuclear power plant comes online, we're going to be against the Iranians. Also, Pakistan supports the Taliban. We go after the Taliban. Pakistan helps us with Al Qaeda. We give them more money then NYC is receiving to fight terrorism. Pakistan goes to the UN to end the war in Iraq...which the US is leading.

My point is. What is the point to alliances?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Of true friends and world politics.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    In school you know who your friends are and they're always there for you. In world politics, the alliances change so much it seems like there's very few true alliances. For example, the Iranians just blew up an Iraqi speed boat suicider who was going to ram his explosive filled craft into one of the coalition ships. Now I know by June when their nuclear power plant comes online, we're going to be against the Iranians. Also, Pakistan supports the Taliban. We go after the Taliban. Pakistan helps us with Al Qaeda. We give them more money then NYC is receiving to fight terrorism. Pakistan goes to the UN to end the war in Iraq...which the US is leading.

My point is. What is the point to alliances?

I can't believe that you're "shocked" by this. Were you sleeping in history classes?

People/Nations are allied, when they suit each others interests. It's pretty simple.
    These aren't really alliances that you mention, a real alliance will be a document signed by both parties pledged to support eachother.

Bilateral alliances are dangerous and undemocratic except perhaps in times of real crisis which is why the emphasis has been since WW2 on multilateral agreements which are far more effective and less diviseive.....
    I wonder if the world had a simply view of being friends or not, would it be more moral?
    No becasue viewing one nation as a friend tends to mean that you view other nations as enemies.

better to view all nations as part of a community of equals........
    A world of equals isnt possible though until and unless my country either eliminates the rabid warmongers from Washington or is forced to face its own rapid domestic decline soon.

Until then, with only one pole of absolute might, especially one as insolated from rational comprehension of the world we live in and the damage wrought by our arrogance as the US is, the majority of the US public will continue to rant and rail against any attempts to enlighten them. My countrymen are great at pointing the finger at anyone but ourselves when things go terribly wrong. Even after 9/11, instead of conducting any much needed soul searching and reflection as to why such hatred is directed at us, the country simply fell back to the very posture that gave rise to that tragic event in the first place with even greater vehemence than before.

Will it be any wonder then when next we get our come uppance that it will be orders of magnitude more shocking than 9/11? Repercussions do have a way of matching the scale of the transgressions. Will my countrymen ever wake up and learn?

I sincerely hope so...
    Hey Clandestine this might surprise you and Aladdin. They broke out the stats on support for the war within the US. The biggest support for the war is in the Midwest...the smallest by a lot...is in the East where all of the terrorist attacks happened.
    toadborg you blew my mind.:cool:
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    toadborg you blew my mind.:cool:

Looks like a comment which belongs to the sex forum :p

Btw, USA or not, all countries will never be regarded as equals. As they are simply not.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Looks like a comment which belongs to the sex forum :p

Btw, USA or not, all countries will never be regarded as equals. As they are simply not.

Quite worrying really.......:p

Why are countries not equal in terms of diplomatic dealing?
    Originally posted by Toadborg

Why are countries not equal in terms of diplomatic dealing?

Cause not all countries can supply with the same "materials".

Basically same reason as why, not all countries have the VETO-right in the UN.
    True but in a democratic debate on an issue, all nations ought to be accorded the same respect.........?