Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Whats it like?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Following on from Chaos`s thread what id like to know is, what is it like for you when you are called names like STUPID, THICK etc etc, especially by an adult.
I personally take things to heart so if someone started calling me THICK, STUPID then I would start beleiving it. Some people are a lot stronger and it would go over their head but for someone who is constantly being called these names then I personally think that the person will begin to beleive what these people are saying.
I think it would eventually make them lose any confidence they ever had and could make them really withdrawn.

Have you ever been through this type of verbal abuse? how did it make you feel?

Comments

• Options
    many a time when i was younger, and back then it would bug me. Nowadays im much more laid back, and couldnt care less what people think or call me.
  • Options
    People make silly comments about me sometimes. I had the crap bullied out of me at primary school because I looked like an alien.

But now I don't get it much any more, and if I do it's my mates taking the mickey. So I'm lucky I suppose.

I do feel for them people who get it a lot. Suppose you just gotta have a belief that you're stronger, which is easier said than done.
  • Options
    I do care to an extent, but I knows its not true, so I just ignore them...people only call you names because they feel threatened by you! ;)
  • Options
    My mum says it all the time when she's annoyed at me, but I don't take it to heart anymore, cause that's how she deals with her rage, she totally verbally abuses peeps.. If it's anyone else, I get miffed off, and say HOI! Wait a second..blar blar.:yes:
  • Options
    I think it depends what type of character you are as to wether it will affect you. When I was younger I would beleive what people said, I always remember a teacher calling me " A stupid Imbocile and that i would get nowhere in life" and at that time I remember thinking *Well she must be right*. Now because im older i would have probably told her to "shut the fuck up and planted her" ;)

But yeah i think some people could be really made to be mixed up and eventually they could just end up thinking they are stupid so they might as well not even bother trying.
  • Options
    Only if the insult is more personal than 'stupid', 'pathetic' etc.

If you aren't actually stupid, I don't see how you'd believe it, no matter how much you were told it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    When I was younger I would beleive what people said, I always remember a teacher calling me " A stupid Imbocile and that i would get nowhere in life" and at that time I remember thinking *Well she must be right*.

It`s inexcusable to say things like that to kids, and people who do shouldn`t be teaching them in my opinion.
  • Options
    maybe thats what happened to me. i grew up hating my father because he spoke down to me all through my childhood. you'll never amount to anything, your useless etc etc. i come from a fairly normal family. lovely num and three sisters. my father seemed to realy not like me, even as a todler. yes i probably believed him. i lost interest in school at 11 or 12. didn't want any part of his hypocritical world and became a crook junkie!
    the last ten yrs of my dads life we actualy got along realy well and got fairly close. that in itself was a bloody miracle. i didn't shed a single tear at his funereal though.
  • Options
    This thread reminded me of this poem;

A Child Learns

If a child lives with criticism,
    he learns to condemn.
    If a child lives with hostility,
    he learns to fight.
    If a child lives with ridicule,
    he learns to be shy.
    If a child lives with shame,
    he learns to feel guilty.
    If a child lives with tolerance,
    he learns to be patient.
    If a child lives with encouragement,
    he learns confidence.
    If a child lives with praise,
    he learns to appreciate.
    If a child lives with fairness,
    he learns justice.
    If a child lives with security,
    he learns to have faith.
    If a child lives with approval,
    he learns to like himself.
    If a child lives with acceptance, and friendship,
    he learns to find love in the world.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    This thread reminded me of this poem;

A Child Learns.....

Awww. :)
  • Options
    It's part of growing up, if you ask me.
  • Options
    These days people my own age don't tend to be sad enough to call people names, but when I'm out little kids throw insults at me (usually "you're fat" and the like :rolleyes: ) It might sound sad but sometimes even that really effects me.
  • Options
    i was called all sortsa things at schol, because of my colour mostly i think, but it is all better now. I have made lots of friends that are white and they respect me and i respec them. :)
  • Options
    I remember calling my mum stupid when I was little and she took me aside and explained how her mum had called her stupid every day and she grew up thinking she was...which is why she did so badly in school.
    She eventually went to university as a mature student and narrowly missed getting a first.

I try not to call anyone stupid, but I have called my dog it and I felt bad even then!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    These days people my own age don't tend to be sad enough to call people names, but when I'm out little kids throw insults at me (usually "you're fat" and the like :rolleyes: ) It might sound sad but sometimes even that really effects me.

Same here. Usually I'm not bothered, but if it's been a bad day it really gets to me.
  • Options
    I'm the type of person who does take these kind of comments to heart, and they'll be going round and round in my head, until someone else says something that directly contradicts them.
    It definitely depends on your character, some people are much thicker skinned than others! They also often tend to be the ones who make the comments because they assume that since if someone said that to them they wouldn't mind, that the person they're saying it to won't mind either.
  • Options
    well my mum is a bit of a bitch with me calls me fat and ugly....sometimes i see her point but even tho i'd appreciate her not callin me either....

she also calls me a bitch, whore, slag etc and that annoys the fuck out of me cos its uncalled for!
  • Options
    Originally posted by amirab
    well my mum is a bit of a bitch with me calls me fat and ugly....sometimes i see her point but even tho i'd appreciate her not callin me either....

she also calls me a bitch, whore, slag etc and that annoys the fuck out of me cos its uncalled for!
    Does anyone agree that people like this aren't fit to be parents?