Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cystitis...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can a pregnant lady have the little sachets u get for cystitis?

My sister has a friend y'see and shes pregnant and has cystitis and we're not sure if u can have these sachets while pregnant.

Thanks for any replys :)

Comments

• Options
    i would check with the pharmacist.

meanwhile, tell her to drink cranberry juice, cause it is really good for cystitis, and safe for the baby.
  • Options
    the sachets you can get for cystitis will clear it up for a while but it will come back again as the bacteria or whatever embeds itself and so hasnt really been gotten rid off. tell your friend to go to the doctors to get some antibiotics as thats the only thing that will clear it up
  • Options
    Originally posted by shazza
    the sachets you can get for cystitis will clear it up for a while but it will come back again as the bacteria or whatever embeds itself and so hasnt really been gotten rid off. tell your friend to go to the doctors to get some antibiotics as thats the only thing that will clear it up

not really true. most cases of cystitis are pretty mild, and will clear themselves up, in time. the sachets/cranberry juice just relieve the symptoms a bit, so you're more comfortable while it's clearing up.

antibiotics are only necessary if you've had particularly nasty, or recurrent attacks, or if you have other infections too, as this may be a sign of some other disorder. you should beware of taking more antibiotics than you need, as you can develop a resistance to them, and if you REALLY need them they will be less effective. plus they can kill off some of the good bacteria in your body as well as the bad...

in a pregnant woman, i would say stick to natural remedies, or check with a doctor or pharmacist about over the counter medicines, cause anything you take could affect your baby....

of course, i am not a doctor, and if she is uncomfortable, or worried in any way, i would get her to see a doctor. just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Originally posted by shazza
    as thats the only thing that will clear it up

:no:

It can clear itself up on its own, although it's advisable to stay off sex, and drink water and cranberry juice.
    In answer to the question, I think you should check with a doctor.