Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Cats getting stuck up trees...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Isn't it just the most weird thing ??

Like surely it's impossible for a cat to actually climb a tree.

Sorry, I just don't get it at all :confused:

How do they actually get up there in the first place ??

Hmmm :eek2:

Comments

• Options
    I think most of the time the cat is happy up the tree, just gets pissed off when ppl try and get it down !!! :p leave em to it I say!
  • Options
    *You're* the Kitten... :p

Cats possess an amazing ability to climb things.
    Tree's are easy.

But getting back down the tree usually proves to be a problem.
  • Options
    It's not impossible for a cat to climb a tree at all - just set a dog after one & you'll see!
  • Options
    well they kinda use their claws to grip the bark of the tree and jump as quick as possible to the nearest branch but then they cant get back down again cause they cant jump that far and they cant climb backwards (thatd b a well confusing concept ;) )
  • Options
    Originally posted by KinkyRed
    It's not impossible for a cat to climb a tree at all

I really can't imagine it though. Like how can they climb up trees and not lamposts :confused:

It's got to have good angles too I suppose.
  • Options
    Leopards manage tho - they just run back down trees. Bloody domesticated cats:rolleyes:

Brian: They can't stick their claws into lamposts!
  • Options
    Cat's claws can stick into wood, helping it up the tree, lamp-posts are metal, hence the cat slips back down
  • Options
    umm, having had the experience of having a cat stuck up the tree, they tend to just climb up the tree, and cling on with their claws....strange that :p lol! most the time id agree to leaving them up there, if they're anything like my cats, then they'll come down when they're hungry... but its when they stay up there because they're actually stuck, then thats the time to give them some help and get them down!
    :angel:
  • Options
    It's just that they'd have to get up there really quickly if they were running away from the dog. And if humans tried to do it quickly they'd probably fall off.

And why do some dogs never seem to go up trees :confused:

Sorry for randomness, just wondering about too much.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Brian Kitten

And why do some dogs never seem to go up trees :confused:
    Dogs aren't agile enough, and in most cases, are too heavy for their claws to support them when cllimbing
  • Options
    Yeah cats love digging their claws into things and then they just propell themselves up the tree. My cat runs up this really tall tree we have in about 5 seconds flat if she thinks you're going to pick her up! They're pretty agile when it comes to tree climbing! Lamposts are too slippery aswell as having nowhere to put their claws!