Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Nails

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know any ways I can get my nails to be stronger? Recently they've been really weak and keep cracking and having bits flake off the ends, and it's really starting to piss me off now, cause I used to have really nice nails, and now they're all crapped up and they're not even long. My mum says to drink milk, but I'm lactose intolerant, so I'd rather have crap nails than drink milk. Any other ways I can 'fix' them?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you can get a sort of nail polish from Superdrug or other chemists which you put on like normal varnish but it helps to make them harder. You could also try a search on handbag.com or another womans websites which might have some other ideas.:D
    If you use a hardening varnish it'll only make your nails brittle & likely to snap. Invest in a quality hand & nail creme, don't soak them in water (ie wear gloves to do the washing up).

My nails are about a cm long, so pm me if you want more tips
    When you've been in the cold make sure you don't put your fingers in your mouth as this will dry your nails. When you've washed the dishes etc dry them thoroughly. Handcream them regularly and also get strengthening nail varnish and applying that over time should help.
    Well, I never put my hands in water unless I'm having a bath, and when I'm at work, but then I have rubber gloves on. Yesterday morning I painted them with clear nail varnish, after filing/cutting them down so I had cut off all the fucked bits. They're now back to being rediculously short... the finger is longer than the nail. :eek2: But they don't ever get much longer than a few mms anyway (I play guitar). So far I have gone a day and a half without them splitting or anything. Wohoo :D
    I wear strengthner.and use nails creams. i painted mine with so much shite they eventually fecked up but are now getin better:)
    xxx
    theres a list of things you can do!
    1/ when the weather is cold where gloves
    2/ use hand and nail creams rhis helps to strengthen the nail plate.
    3/ when washing up, or using household detergents wear gloves becuase the products make your nails weak and easy to break.
    4/ strengthner is good some help to strngthen nails, some dont. be careful whichh one you buy.
    5/ if you wear nail varnish make sure you use a base coat.

there ya go! :)