Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The War Debate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
People are getting really wound up over this. So many different opinions all around the world. Over in Politics they're tearing eachother to pieces, and my dad and his girlfriend are arguing about it all the time and making themselves miserable, and what I am thinking is

What's the point?

When all is said and done, you can argue, protest until you're blue in the face but there will still be a war. In spite of all these walk-outs, marches, concerts etc, men have died. There is nothing we can do to stop it, it is still happening.

Of course you can still chat about it, but there is no point in getting angry about it.

So instead of wasting your energy fighting over the war (irony in itself) why not channel it into positive thoughts for our loved ones thousands of miles away, wishing them well, praying for their safe return and hoping that those who perished in the helicopter tragedy are the first and last of our soldiers to die there.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree.

I am pleased by your maturity, HunnyPot, in such a situation.
    Yep. My uncle and my cousin are out there and all these negative views/protests in England just make us more upset :(
    Nicely said HunnyPot :)
    I don't think this will be much of a debate, everyone is agreeing with you:)
    Originally posted by Harmless

Lol, I think and hope you're joking but if you're not, this wasn't intended to be a debate, it was a statement about a debate.
    Originally posted by Harmless

Im going to agree again :)
    We realistically cant change whats happening, thats been shown already! So whats the point in causing a load of disruption blocking off motorways and mainroads etc.:confused:

Its not going to stop the war, and its not going to get it over faster either.

Dont know what i'm getting at so i'll stop now!
    But point well said, Hunny!
    Originally posted by faerielights

We realistically cant change whats happening

Indeedy.

Like it or not, they've already blown the hell out of Baghdad.
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    Yep. My uncle and my cousin are out there and all these negative views/protests in England just make us more upset :(

i dont think anyone wishes anything but good will to the armed forces. the anger is directed solely at tony blair, george bush, and the political system that is proving to do exactly what it does best: provide a strong goverment free from 'gridlock', ie, allowing the government to act without being bogged down by the other side all the time, spending all their time debating unable to act.

the downside is that we cant stop the government acting in the way they see fit until the election comes round. its an elective dictatorship. and this makes people feel very powerless and insignificant. which is what makes people angry with the government.

this does not reflect on the armed forces at all and im sure everyone would wish them well and hope that they are able to fulfil their mission quickly and as bloodlessly as possible on both sides.
    Originally posted by LacyMay

Know how you feel hun, we're hoping my brother doesn't get sent as at the mo he's in Germany on stand-by. We think he'll be sent over soon.

Would be nice to be able to forget about it for a while so we can stop worrying, but since everyone's talking about it that's not likely!