Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Civil Disobedience

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was involved in a protest in Brighton yesterday, over 1000 people walked out of Schools, Coleges and Workplaces to stop the city. Stop it we did, NOTHING except the emergency services moved for three hours at least and yet there was little mention at all on the national or even local news! I am surprised and outraged that such a strong outpouring of public emotion was not even covered by the BBC. SHAME ON THEM even Channel 4's national news had more coverage of us.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There was some coverage about protests in London although I got most of the info from various message boards. Well done to all involved!
    Your protest is a right and I applaud your convictions while I do not agree with them. The simple fact is that the numbers who are protesting is small in contrast to the people in the total population. You'll find that most people are too busy trying to pay the bills to go out and protest anything. When you block traffic all you do is get people frustrated and angry.

Protesting is fine but tie up someone in traffic who has to get to work and see how sympathetic they will be to your cause!

Where are the thousands in the streets protesting rising taxes and crime. Where is the protest to reduce unemployment!

Good luck with your protests.
    Our school had a protest organised by lovely moi on Wednesday and we got in the local papers for it... which is quite an achievement compared to all the other schools. Our protest was the only peaceful, organised protest in the whole of Berkshire. I'll see if I can scan the newspaper. Didn't make the TV news though! lol
    I might considering protesting for higher taxes ( You are such a US stereotype Murph ;) )