Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tony Blair's speech and the news.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    If you really think America and Britain are doing this out of the good of their hearts because they want to help the poor Iraqi people, then maybe you can explain to me how bombing the shit out of them could possibly help them, while saddam hussein sits nice and safe in a bunker somewhere.

Did you even read the last post I made? I don't believe for a second that Britain and America are doing it out of the good of their hearts, or because they're genuinely that concerned over the Iraqis - but the fact remains that whatever the reason for the war, the war WILL help the Iraqi people. And what if Saddam Hussein is sitting nice and safe in his bunker? Whilst we are trying to kill him, it doesn't really matter if if he is - he'll still noot be in power when we've taken over the country and set some kind of government up, will he?
  • Options
    its not the fact that saddam isnt bad, because he is. its about the fact theyre not giving the truth about this stupid war, it IS about oil

I know it's about oil, I know the whole WMD thing is just an excuse. I'm in support of the war because of the things Saddam has done, not because I buy into all this bullshit propaganda.
    I know for a fact that if someone like Lacymay had said she was anti war, people wouldnt have been so quick to dismiss her.

If someone has an actual reason for being against the war, fine.

If someone is against the war 'just because', then, well...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    If someone has an actual reason for being against the war, fine.

If someone is against the war 'just because', then, well...

Couldn't have said it better Kiezo...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shukes

Did you even read the last post I made? I don't believe for a second that Britain and America are doing it out of the good of their hearts, or because they're genuinely that concerned over the Iraqis - but the fact remains that whatever the reason for the war, the war WILL help the Iraqi people. And what if Saddam Hussein is sitting nice and safe in his bunker? Whilst we are trying to kill him, it doesn't really matter if if he is - he'll still noot be in power when we've taken over the country and set some kind of government up, will he?

The point is that there is more than one way of fighting a war, and the reasons you are fighting it make a difference to the way that war is waged.

Also there are differences in the way the country will be treated after the war, and we haven't made any promises on what we will do for the Iraqis.

And the war is not fought in isolation, it sets a dangerous precedent for the future- i.e. unilateral action, against international law, might is right, etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by carlito

The point is that there is more than one way of fighting a war, and the reasons you are fighting it make a difference to the way that war is waged.

Also there are differences in the way the country will be treated after the war, and we haven't made any promises on what we will do for the Iraqis.

And the war is not fought in isolation, it sets a dangerous precedent for the future- i.e. unilateral action, against international law, might is right, etc.

Good points, although I think we can assume that Iraq will be treated very fairly afterwards, given the unpopularity of the War - that is the Government don't want to look any worse than they already do.

And as I've said countless times, I don't have a problem with anyone who doesn't support the war if they have a reason. I don't claim to know that much about the situation. But what annoys me is the way so many people actualy go on protests voicing their opinion about the war, even when they know very little about it - people like Chaos really. Like I said, I don't see how he can protest against the war when he's already stated he can't think of a better idea.
  • Options
    and I know for a fact that if someone like Lacymay had said she was anti war, people wouldnt have been so quick to dismiss her.

Dont bring me into it!

I listened to what Chaos had to say, and put my point across. I didnt attempt to undermine what he had to say.

and by the way, I think the way some of you have ridiculed Chaos` opinions are only doing it because of who he is - not because of what he says. If someone more popular had said those things, you wouldnt have ridiculed it liek that. I agree this place is like one big popularity contest lately, if youre popular, you practically get love letters strewn all over the message boards, and if youre not popular you get your opinions ridiculed - whatever they are. its a disgrace.

Yeah i dont think thats true. I, in no way, was nasty because of any kinda popularity he has. I simply did not agree with some of the points he made. If someone else had said it i would have said the same!
  • Options
    actually Lacy, I only said your name as a random example of someone who was popular on here, and I think some people can get away with saying anything (not saying you do) and other people can get away with very little. There seems to be a large discrepancy. I dont think you did undermine Chaos at first, you stuck up for him at first.
  • Options
    actually Lacy, I only said your name as a random example of someone who was popular on here, and I think some people can get away with saying anything (not saying you do) and other people can get away with very little. There seems to be a large discrepancy. I dont think you did undermine Chaos at first, you stuck up for him at first.

Yeah i know you said it as random.

Thing is, many people would consider you to be "popular" on here, yet people are still arguing your views.

I think it is was the way Chaos phrased his posts. A few of the posts he made came across as a bit dramatic. I think thats what riled a few people. He did come across as being a bit "Im against war because its bad." Yes it is bad, however *i* believe its necessary. Chaos had a bit of a, i think, dramatic take on things.

Maybe its cos my dads in the Army and i understand the concept of war than someone who has had no experience of conflict but i didnt mean to try and belittle his responses and i apoligise if that was what happened.
  • Options
    my husband is ex army, and hes actually for the war, he actually served in the gulf the last time - but even he thinks that theres a lot of cover up this time about the real reasons, and he doesnt like Bush. I dont think its wrong for Chaos or for anyone to be against war for any reason. Some people are actually against dropping nuclear bombs for ANY reason, let alone some of the crap excuses GW Bush is giving us just because hes spoiling for a fight.
  • Options
    my husband is ex army, and hes actually for the war, he actually served in the gulf the last time - but even he thinks that theres a lot of cover up this time about the real reasons, and he doesnt like Bush. I dont think its wrong for Chaos or for anyone to be against war for any reason. Some people are actually against dropping nuclear bombs for ANY reason, let alone some of the crap excuses GW Bush is giving us just because hes spoiling for a fight.

Nuclear bombs? What have they specifically got to do with anything? Since when has Bush wanted to use nukes?

And I don't like Bush either, he's not a good president and it's clear that one of the main reasons he wants the war is to draw attention away from his problems at home. But as I've said enough times, Bush's/Blair's/whoevers reasons for going to war doesn't matter, what the war will actualy achieve is what should be the only thing taken into consideration - the removal of an evil dictator and the improvement of the lives of MILLIONS of Iraqis.
  • Options

Nuclear bombs? What have they specifically got to do with anything? Since when has Bush wanted to use nukes?

we can all hope it doesnt get that far, but already things arent going to plan are they?
  • Options

we can all hope it doesnt get that far, but already things arent going to plan are they?

We don't have to hope it won't get that far, it won't.
  • Options

We don't have to hope it won't get that far, it won't.
    wow before i was so frightened, yet now youve said that, i feel so reassured :rolleyes:
  • Options

wow before i was so frightened, yet now youve said that, i feel so reassured :rolleyes:

I don't even understand what you're frightened of... give me an example of how this situation could escalate into nuclear war, which seems to be what you're suggesting...
  • Options
    well I hope it wont, but saddam obviously has got WMD as britain and america were the ones that sold them to him, Weve got them too. If saddams thinks hes going to die anyway, theres nothing to stop him. The whole thing frightens me really, I realise that if it all goes according to plan, we could be in and out of there within a few weeks, but things dont always go according to plan, this could all end very horribly, very easily.
  • Options
    to be honest though, the nuclear weapons bit isnt the main point im arguing.
  • Options
    Umm can i just say shouldnt this be in the politics section?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

Yeah, I did.

You never responded to the last post I made in that thread.

Okey Doke, lets rock..........
  • Options
    Kiezo: my reaction is now on the patriotism thread in Politics , i will be interested to see your reaction........
  • Options

You believe this based on what? You are ignorant (overused word I know but it applies to you very well) and well, stupid. It's people like you who are ruining our country. :)

why the smiley face you ironic prick? :p
  • Options
    well I hope it wont, but saddam obviously has got WMD as britain and america were the ones that sold them to him, Weve got them too. If saddams thinks hes going to die anyway, theres nothing to stop him.

Thi is a point I was going to bring up after looking into the situation. We sell weapons to Iraq for money then go and call them a threat and bomb them....hmmm:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Also I still think trying to bomb a city bigger than wales housing millions in an attempt to find one person who has several doubles and may not even be there is a bit hit and miss don't you think?
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    Also I still think trying to bomb a city bigger than wales housing millions in an attempt to find one person who has several doubles and may not even be there is a bit hit and miss don't you think?

i don't think they're specifically trying to land a bomb on saddam's head.

they're just destroying things he has personal investments in. his palaces, government buildings...
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac

Reminds me of Whack-a-Mole.

There's one! There's another one!
  • Options
    I'm fully behind Tony Blair and the troops. I believe this war is just and neccessary and Iraq, the people of Iraq and the global community will be better off when the war is won.

I'm proud of our troops and proud to be British.
  • Options
    chaos, more will die if there is no war.

saddam puts his own people through mincer machines for mild offences. If they are lucky they get put in head first.

his prisons are empty because his people are tortured to death. He takes as much money as he can get his dirty fat hands on off his people so they starve.

With no war, more will die in the long term.

oh and chaos, i advise you not to go into the polotics board, newcomers get quite a bit of insulting in there... and the longer term ones, look at PNJs posts lol
  • Options
    Saddam actually emptied his prisons by relaesing the prisoners last year......

Iraq is inequal but not noticeably more so than the capitalist societies that the US wishes to modelt he new Iraq on.........
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    I look away for a moment...

.... and I come back to find that my earlier plea has been totally ignored.

I don't want to shut this thread down but please, please,please focus on the real point of the discussion and not fighting with each other/getting personal. I know emotions are running high but you know the policy on insulting each other...

CB
  • Options
    Re: I look away for a moment...
    Originally posted by ClaireBear
    .... and I come back to find that my earlier plea has been totally ignored.

I don't want to shut this thread down but please, please,please focus on the real point of the discussion and not fighting with each other/getting personal. I know emotions are running high but you know the policy on insulting each other...

CB

Well, this post was dead till you just brought it back up to the top again. Bad Mod, BAD! :p
  • Options
    Re: Re: I look away for a moment...

Well, this post was dead till you just brought it back up to the top again. Bad Mod, BAD! :p

True.